7mm Ackley?

flyfishdoc

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH veteran
Joined
Jul 9, 2021
Messages
173
Reaction score
386
Location
Florida
Media
5
Member of
SCI Life Member
Any experience with this caliber? not .280AI.
Im curious....
see attached pdf of rifle on GB.
I have never seen 7mm AI but I'm a newb so wondering what you gents know about it
Thanks
 

Attachments

Since it doesnt state exactly what round it is, sort of hard to say. There is a 7x57 Improved and of course the .280 ai which is a 7mm, there is also a magnum 7mm Ackley as well.
In my Cartridge Conversions book he also lists a .280 Rem Improved so 7mm Improved is pretty vague.
I would want to know exactly what it is, as there are more than a few improved 7mm's.
 
That would be a good candidate to have the bore slugged so you know exactly what it is. Sestoppelman is spot on that '7mm Improved' couldn't be more vague. Being that it's on a Mauser action, if I were a betting man I would say you are correct in the assumption that it's a 7x57 Improved and not something different, but you'll definitely want that verified.
 
Any experience with this caliber? not .280AI.
Im curious....
see attached pdf of rifle on GB.
I have never seen 7mm AI but I'm a newb so wondering what you gents know about it
Thanks
@flyfishdoc
If it is the 7x57 AI it along with the 250 Savage, 25-35 win and the 30-30 were some of P.Os favorite Ackley conversions as they gave the most gains.
As it doesn't state what 7mm AI it is take your pick of about 10 different 7mms that could have been done.
Bob
 
That would be a good candidate to have the bore slugged so you know exactly what it is. Sestoppelman is spot on that '7mm Improved' couldn't be more vague. Being that it's on a Mauser action, if I were a betting man I would say you are correct in the assumption that it's a 7x57 Improved and not something different, but you'll definitely want that verified.
@TheSayHeyKid
Slugging the bore will only tell you the bore diameter. What is needed is a chamber cast and this can only be done if you have the rifle.
Bob
 
That's what I meant to say Bob. My fingers were ahead of my brain on that one. Good catch and clarification amigo!
@TheSayHeyKid
Being a one finger typist my brain is usually 5 minutes in front of my typing.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,293
Messages
1,571,873
Members
169,454
Latest member
tracelinwi1986
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top