500 yard capable McWhorter muzzle loader!

steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Was watching an outdoor channel last night when McWhorter Arms showed off a new muzzle loader design and demonstrated a 500 yard hit. Anyone fire one of these, yet? What a game changer! 45 caliber X, something, S for the model?....

There are cool higher end muzzle loaders out there but what I am most excited about is the new Hornady Bore Driver ELD-X bullet. It is 50 cal, 340 grain, works with the affordable 1:28 twist rifles, is a cup and core bullet, and has a huge improvement on BC.
It may very well be a 500 yd setup as well. I have bullets on order and three test rifles ready to go just waiting for bullets.

Very cool. However, all these innovations don’t really improve much on the civil war era whitworth express rifle. Pedersoli makes an excellent reproduction that will smack gongs to 500 and beyond.

Very cool. However, all these innovations don’t really improve much on the civil war era whitworth express rifle. Pedersoli makes an excellent reproduction that will smack gongs to 500 and beyond.

This is just a way to modernize the system, allow for scopes, better ergonomics to utilize it. Have seen of these guy shoot open sites further than most average hunters with scopes. I'm not one that has the ability to reach those distances using irons.

I'll say this, I'm impressed with the groups that the rifle @Green Chile has posted. I did not know they were capable of that type of accuracy. It nice to live in a time of have access to high quality gear and components.

New smokeless muzzleloaders are available from more places than just mcworters. Hankins, etc. I had a local gunsmith convince me a couple years ago to build one. I resisted on them due to the price, and that was the dumbest thing I ever did. I would find him several times at the range testing new builds, 2-4 at a time. In the meantime I was chasing my savage smokeless all over with it’s never failing to shoot a good group etc. the breaking point was watching him shoot a group with the one he built to light load for his dad. Three shots in a hole. I said fine I want one. Found a Remington 700, handed it to him and told him have at it. It’s my best shooting gun! Last year I hunted in the rain so I went to the range to empty it. The 100 yard range was occupied so I scooted down to the 200-300 yard range and tested the accuracy of my Leupold’s CDS. Dead on at 200 with first shot. The 300 was dead nuts on as well. The three shot 300yard group freaked out the other guy shooting his high powered rifle. We walked down range and those 3 were about 1 1/4” center to center, two were touching. I called and told him, he laughed and asked if I was having a bad shooting day, that I needed to practice, that the gun would shoot better than that. I believe him. I was shooting off bipods. I think off a solid rest and watching the wind, it just plain works. No stupid sabots, etc. A 300 grain bullet going 2800fps works pretty good….

For sure....325's at 3100 are awesome, especially at 1/4 MOA. It's easily one of the most accurate rifles you can buy and certainly at that power level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you