44 mag suppressed??

@HankBuck you are 100% entitled to your views. Looks mean a lot to different people (lucky for me my wife doesn't feel that way, haha). I don't have fine rifles with XXX grade wood. Not because I don't appreciate their beauty, I know me. I'm going to mess it up, I can't have anything nice. I also want the most accurate rifles possible, so wood is usually out the window for me.

I shoot way more than a few rounds a year, in a competition it can be over 100 in a day. In some training classes it has been over 700 in a day (223). Yes ear pro does it's job, from personal experience even using foam earplugs. You will still damage your hearing (for about a decade I was shooting 3k-5k a year of center fire rifle, not including rf, pistol, or shotguns. I can assure you suppressors are not a gimmick. Lots of place in Europe require them to keep noise levels down. Even with cans I still use ear plugs, I have lost enough as it is. If you don't have tinnitus, I hope you never experience it. Had I been using suppressors earlier in life, my ears would be in better shape. When it comes to tinnitus or having classic line of a rifle. I'll take hearing 100% of the time. As far as a shot a few times a year, I'm sure we have a Dr on this board. I'm sure they will tell you that exposure will in fact damage your hearing. Like yourself I don't mind a friendly debate, gives one a chance to see things through different eyes.

Wildwilderness, buy and use a suppressor to reduce Hearing Loss?? Of course it will help but better and even more effective are “Foam ear plugs” for about 5 cents and No ATF permit required. I’m not challenging the benefit of Suppressors and not arguing that they lower noise and have some slight hunting benefits in limited circumstances - it’s only that there is No Need.....just a “want” and that’s fine. As far as subsonic - I’ve already got a slingshot to cover that “New Trend”. (These are just my ‘grumpy’ opinions as I am quickly falling out of step with the younger gadget focused hunters)
Ear plugs are fine at the range. The problem arises hunting where quick shots or miss placed ear pro happen. Even one shot with a braked rifle is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss, especially in young hunters.

Having a suppressed rifle even if it’s just for hunting WILL over time prevent hearing loss.

Ear plugs are fine at the range. The problem arises hunting where quick shots or miss placed ear pro happen. Even one shot with a braked rifle is loud enough to cause permanent hearing loss, especially in young hunters.

Having a suppressed rifle even if it’s just for hunting WILL over time prevent hearing loss.
Wildwilderness, “one shot....” causes permanent hearing loss ? Hardly, even a “braked” rifle wouldn’t do that TO THE SHOOTER with one shot and it would be “freakishly rare” if it did. I will agree Not to make up my own facts if you will do the same. Yes, one extremely loud event can cause permanent hearing damage - but come on !!! Most adults will have some level of hearing loss as they age - with or without ever firing a gun. If hunting rifles, fired a few times a year while “hunting”, caused significant hearing damage — then every person that Hunted before 2000 would be “deaf”, and that’s just Not the case. Now, is wearing hearing protection helpful - Yes but the rifle Hunter that fires a couple shots a year Hunting will reap No measurable benefit. And who needs a “braked” rifle ? Someone shooting a Magnum?
The progression of Hunting NEEDS has gotten “ridiculousness” and goes like this: I need a Magnum rifle to kill animals that have been killed for centuries with standard rifles, in black powder, or with bow & arrow,,,, Now that I have my magnum, I need a “muzzle brake” because I can’t handle the recoil, Now that I have my Magnum AND muzzle brake, I NEED a suppressor because “it’s too loud”. What will Hunting look like in 50 years?
After 2 World Wars, Korea, and Vietnam - very Few Combat Vets had hearing protection, many suffered some hearing damage - but that was exposure to 1000s of rounds, Mortars, cannons, bombs. My Dad & Uncle in WWII and both had excellent hear afterwards. My Mom, never exposed to gunfire - is near deaf. I agree, wear Hearing protection at the range, skeet shooting, high volume dove/duck hunting - I don't dismiss your point that a Suppressor protects hearing and reduces noise - that’s a proven fact... but for a Deer or Elk hunter that takes 1-2 shots a year - maybe - it’s Not needed.....won’t hurt - but No measurable benefit. Now, before I go “deaf” from getting shouted down - many will agree with you and i’m not a Doctor or Audiologist —- just an opinion from a Hunter and my perspective on how hunting has changed — from getting out into the woods to Now accumulating as much “gear” as possible.

@HankBuck you are 100% entitled to your views. Looks mean a lot to different people (lucky for me my wife doesn't feel that way, haha). I don't have fine rifles with XXX grade wood. Not because I don't appreciate their beauty, I know me. I'm going to mess it up, I can't have anything nice. I also want the most accurate rifles possible, so wood is usually out the window for me.

I shoot way more than a few rounds a year, in a competition it can be over 100 in a day. In some training classes it has been over 700 in a day (223). Yes ear pro does it's job, from personal experience even using foam earplugs. You will still damage your hearing (for about a decade I was shooting 3k-5k a year of center fire rifle, not including rf, pistol, or shotguns. I can assure you suppressors are not a gimmick. Lots of place in Europe require them to keep noise levels down. Even with cans I still use ear plugs, I have lost enough as it is. If you don't have tinnitus, I hope you never experience it. Had I been using suppressors earlier in life, my ears would be in better shape. When it comes to tinnitus or having classic line of a rifle. I'll take hearing 100% of the time. As far as a shot a few times a year, I'm sure we have a Dr on this board. I'm sure they will tell you that exposure will in fact damage your hearing. Like yourself I don't mind a friendly debate, gives one a chance to see things through different eyes.
Inline6 I agree, All high volume shooting requires hear protection and ear plugs combined with muffs makes sense. Overtime, with 1000s or rounds per year, over many years - hearing damage is still likely but will be much less then Unprotected shooting. Also worth noting - most people with hearing loss Never fired a gun, it is environmental noise exposure as well as genetically predisposed. I can’t argue that a suppressor will help prevent hearing damage and is better then ear plugs alone. My point, belief, assumption, experience, is that for the average Rifle Hunter, firing a couple rounds a year - suppressors have no benefit. Regarding Neighbors, I guess you are right there, less noise = less complaints.

@HankBuck I can assure you 1 shot will damage your hearing. I pulled this from the CDC. The other from an article that was testing brakeson rifles. I made a quick shot with a 28 Nosler, my wife and I both regretted that shot. Our ear rang for a week, I know it caused damage to both of us.

From the CDC.

Sounds May Be Louder Than What You Hear
How loud something sounds to you is not the same as the actual intensity of that sound. Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy in a confined space. It is measured in decibels (dB). The decibel scale is logarithmic, which means that loudness is not directly proportional to sound intensity. Instead, the intensity of a sound grows very fast. This means that a sound at 20 dB is 10 times more intense than a sound at 10 dB. Also, the intensity of a sound at 100 dB is one billion times more powerful compared to a sound at 10 dB.

Two sounds that have equal intensity are not necessarily equally loud. Loudness refers to how you perceive audible sounds. A sound that seems loud in a quiet room might not be noticeable when you are on a street corner with heavy traffic, even though the sound intensity is the same. In general, to measure loudness, a sound must be increased by 10 dB to be perceived as twice as loud. For example, ten violins would sound only twice as loud as one violin.

The risk of damaging your hearing from noise increases with the sound intensity, not the loudness of the sound. If you need to raise your voice to be heard at an arm’s length, the noise level in the environment is likely above 85 dB in sound intensity and could damage your hearing over time.

Screenshot_20231214_174720_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_174136_Chrome.jpg

@HankBuck I can assure you 1 shot will damage your hearing. I pulled this from the CDC. The other from an article that was testing brakeson rifles. I made a quick shot with a 28 Nosler, my wife and I both regretted that shot. Our ear rang for a week, I know it caused damage to both of us.

From the CDC.

Sounds May Be Louder Than What You Hear
How loud something sounds to you is not the same as the actual intensity of that sound. Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy in a confined space. It is measured in decibels (dB). The decibel scale is logarithmic, which means that loudness is not directly proportional to sound intensity. Instead, the intensity of a sound grows very fast. This means that a sound at 20 dB is 10 times more intense than a sound at 10 dB. Also, the intensity of a sound at 100 dB is one billion times more powerful compared to a sound at 10 dB.

Two sounds that have equal intensity are not necessarily equally loud. Loudness refers to how you perceive audible sounds. A sound that seems loud in a quiet room might not be noticeable when you are on a street corner with heavy traffic, even though the sound intensity is the same. In general, to measure loudness, a sound must be increased by 10 dB to be perceived as twice as loud. For example, ten violins would sound only twice as loud as one violin.

The risk of damaging your hearing from noise increases with the sound intensity, not the loudness of the sound. If you need to raise your voice to be heard at an arm’s length, the noise level in the environment is likely above 85 dB in sound intensity and could damage your hearing over time.

View attachment 574678View attachment 574679
Inline6, you present a very well thought out and substantiated set of facts and the reflect research and studies. My opinion is mostly based on experience, history, and common patterns observed over time. I also don’t factor in “muzzle brakes” which were very uncommon until 2 years ago. Lastly, regarding the CDC and any study they conduct - they are predisposed to be anti Gun, the list Gun Violence as a “disease”, they have a political agenda and never miss a chance to blame firearms for something. I’m not sure that compromises their research into hearing loss associated with gun fire but it is reason to have some doubt about the objectivity of their findings. Many studies are conducted to prove a “pre determined” conclusion - and while I can’t say the CDC did that - they are Not objective regarding anything firearms. I do Not argue your points because you presented them very well and I’ve learned things reading your posts - thank you. These are just a few additional thing to consider.

@HankBuck I'm not disagreeing with you on the CDC. Working in the industrial field noise levels are a big safety factor. A lot of OSHA gets involved with it. It is probably the only reason I have the knowledge that I do. The bubble graphic came from a pro gun site, it is hard to explain how dB works (at least for me). That is why I pulled what was written. I have no agenda other than hoping what I write might save someone from loosing their hearing. Tinnitus sucks, that is a fact. At 46 I have to watch people talk especially if their is any background noise to carry on a conversation. In a deer stand or laying down in bed (being anywhere quiet at all) all you hear is ringing. I do not wish that on anyone.

Hearing loss kept me out of the army. I wish I was more careful in my teen years but you know how teens are.
I’m careful now that’s for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanelL98

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.