.375 reduced loads

found very little difference in accurachy from the starting load to the "max" loads. And it is very accurate.

I've found them to be more accurate closer to max load, probably just because they are so slow at the lighter charges that they probably have stability problems.

Trail boss is pure magic with cast bullets. I wish I had bought 20 pounds of it when it first came out. I find myself using it way faster than I can buy it.
 
@Luger00 , I'll take your advice and try it.......Can you you just maybe send me a small jar or so....
Seriously, if you have any to sell LMK.
 
Hogden list a reduced recoil load of 81.5 gr of H1000 (AR2217) with a 235 gr projectile at around 2400 fps.

Has anyone tried this or a similar load, noting it's using a slower powder with a light projectile, rather than a lesser amount of faster burning powder?
 
I load a 300 grain bullet with 58 grains of Varget loads are going a little less than 2,200fps.
Nice low recoil, but still very effective.
 
As has been posted by @mooze. use the Hodgdon recommended and tested loads of 60% listed max for H4885. Don’t mess around with unknowns!
Never, and I mean NEVER, try a 60% load of H4885; that's a sure recipe for disaster!

Only, and I mean ONLY, use H4895 if you are going to try a Hodgdon recommended and tested load of 60% of listed max. Don't mess around with unknowns! (like typos from random internet dudes)
 
For practice loads leading up to my first safari last year, I went through hundreds of the 200 grain Sierra FN Pro Hunter (and about as many 300 grain game kings). These bullets are designed for the .375 Winchester but worked great as practice loads as I got used to shooting from sticks, and firing rapidly. At $33/50 bullets, They are a great way to get familiar with your rifle and put plenty of rounds down range without spending a bunch of money. Sierra and many others have published data.

Recoil energy in a 10lb rifle would be like that of a stout 30-06 if running them at around 2900fps. Sierra recommends running them under 2200fps for use on game, but I'd imagine they would be a deer hammer out of a stand.

I ultimately used 300g Swift A Frames on everything which shot to nearly the same POI as the GK with the same load data. Everything was DRT with the 300 grain swifts.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,088
Members
170,221
Latest member
WoodrowCof
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top