.375 or .416 for Cape buffalo?

The 375 H&H and 416 Rigby are both excellent for buffalo. They do require a magnum size action because of cartridge size. The 375 Ruger fits a standard size action. This gives you a shorter stroke when loading up the next round compared to the magnum actions and might also suit your recoil wishes.
Magnum length actions are not part of the equision......operator competance is.....if you operate the bolt between thumb and finger problems arrise.....you need to palm operate the bolt vigorously....up back all the way and then forward and down aggresively.....without removing the stock from your shoulder.....practice makes perfect.....
Short stroking is like Coitus interruptus.......

You want to step up for buffalo load heavy 340, 350 or 380gr bullets.....sorted
I wish these were more available in the states

Bigger is always better provided you can shoot it. The .416's can pack some serious recoil. You can get used to it with practice. If you have not had a .375 or bigger yet it would be nice to go shoot with someone who does before making your decision.
Philip
I have shot a .375 before and didn’t think it was too bad. The only reason that I am considering a .416 is just to have a little bit more power If i made a subpar shot.

I have shot a .375 before and didn’t think it was too bad. The only reason that I am considering a .416 is just to have a little bit more power If i made a subpar shot.
Practice more and dont pull the trigger if you are not comfortable with the shot......

I wish these were more available in the states
I am busy with Rhino bullets to see if there is way to provide folks in US with these perfect for dg bullets......use them once you will never look back....for dg

Standard 375 H&H 300gr is just too fast for dg...going up in bullet weight increasing sd and lowering velocity puts it in a different class for dg....aĺlthough it is the King of the medium bores as it sits.....

Standard 375 H&H 300gr is just too fast for dg...going up in bullet weight increasing sd and lowering velocity puts it in a different class for dg....aĺlthough it is the King of the medium bores as it sits.....
I was just re-reading Kevin Robertson's bullet chapter in Africa's Most Dangerous. He states the standard 1:12 twist is too fast for the 300's but ideal for the 350's or 380's. Either slow down the 300's or bump up the weight.

Based upon that, I was running my 300 TSX a bit slower and had very good penetration on a frontal shot at under 50 yards. Was recovered after about 4' of penetration. What would the 350's have done? Hard to say but probably a bit more.

buff bullet.jpeg

I was just re-reading Kevin Robertson's bullet chapter in Africa's Most Dangerous. He states the standard 1:12 twist is too fast for the 300's but ideal for the 350's or 380's. Either slow down the 300's or bump up the weight.

Based upon that, I was running my 300 TSX a bit slower and had very good penetration on a frontal shot at under 50 yards. Was recovered after about 4' of penetration. What would the 350's have done? Hard to say but probably a bit more.

View attachment 549959
I dont like tsx.....look at the minimal expansion
....I want 2 to 2.5x caliber expansion.....think Swift, bitterroot, rhino, bearclaw..

I hear you…we all have preferences. 4 feet of penetration from front to back…dead buff in 20 yards…bullet worked fine. Some PHs prefer
TSX. There’s a bullet for every preference.

I hear you…we all have preferences. 4 feet of penetration from front to back…dead buff in 20 yards…bullet worked fine. Some PHs prefer
TSX. There’s a bullet for every preference.

Give those 350’s a try. I’m betting you get the same or better penetration with greater expansion. The 350 solids at 2300 fps out-penetrate anything else I have ever used.

Which 350's? I see TSX but nothing else online. I see that RL 15 can get the 350 TSX to just over 2300. I do think you lose some of that versatility that the 375 is famous for with the super heavy-weights but I will try it one of these trips.

Which 350's? I see TSX but nothing else online. I see that RL 15 can get the 350 TSX to just over 2300. I do think you lose some of that versatility that the 375 is famous for with the super heavy-weights but I will try it one of these trips.

The ones I posted the target of, Woodleigh.

Unless I'm not finding the right source, those look to be discontinued or unavailable from all the regular online sources. I see that Hendershots is not offering them at this time as well.

The 416 Rem Mag has more poop for buffalo than the 375 HH. IMO the 375 HH is far from overkill for buffalo. If you feel a 400 gr 416 cal is not enough and you reload, then use 430 gr 416 cal North Forks- soft or solid. Just saying since the trendy replies are about "heavy for caliber" or boosting the "equivalence" value of the 375 by going to the 350 gr bullet. :):)

I have more than one of both in the safe in Win M 70 and BRNO 602. If I were going for buffalo tomorrow I'd pick the Win 70 in 416 Rem Mag without thinking twice. There is little weight difference among them. If rifles of different calibers are built on the same platform with same barrel contour and dimensions, the 375 will be very slightly heavier...... smaller hole in the barrel. :)

Last edited:
Unless I'm not finding the right source, those look to be discontinued or unavailable from all the regular online sources. I see that Hendershots is not offering them at this time as well.

They had a fire at their plant in Australia. They’re restarting slowly but it could be a while.

View attachment 549959
The Tsx will stabilize though due to the bullets length. I’m running 300 gr Tsx in my 375 at the end of the month. I went with those over A frames due to my ph’s suggestions for croc. He said no need to bring both, A frames and Tsx as the Tsx works just fine on buffalo.

That's exactly what I did last month with 300 TSX. No issues...quick kills. Be prepared for the croc to blink and open his mouth for over 1 hour even though he's dead. He just doesn't know it yet.

That's exactly what I did last month with 300 TSX. No issues...quick kills. Be prepared for the croc to blink and open his mouth for over 1 hour even though he's dead. He just doesn't know it yet.
This made me laugh out loud. I’ve seen a few videos of guys standing with their “dead” croc and find a way to get their hand in its mouth. Then all of a sudden the jaw slams shut and opens again. I’m not going near those jaws until the skull has been boiled-that is, if I get one.

Yea they are weird. Broke his spine 2x and put 2 in his heart/lungs standing next to him. Didn't make any real difference. His vitals were wrecked and his spine was gravel but he was still lethal for quite awhile. Mainly I just stood there and threw rocks at the other crocs trying to get him. I do recommend the spine shot so you don't blow up your trophy skull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IXZAleisha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!