2 lion mounts, looking for advice?

Bear mounts offer an impressive and majestic display for any enthusiast of wildlife or hunting trophies. These lifelike representations capture the raw power and serene beauty of bears, making them a focal point in any room. Whether it's a full-body pose or a striking shoulder mount, each piece provides a unique glimpse into the essence of one of nature's most formidable creatures. For hunters, a bear mount commemorates a significant achievement, while for decorators, it adds a rugged, natural element to interior spaces. Overall, bear mounts are a stunning tribute to the wild, evoking awe and respect for these magnificent animals.
What the hell are you talking about

After my Dad died last year my mom tried disposing of all of his mounts. He had roughly 80 mounts, 20+ were not accepted by the auction house. DNR stopped the sale of his several black bears that he took in Canada because there is now a black bear season in Maryland, where my mom resides. I personally feel any animal taken legally should be allowed to be sold, but that is definitely not the case. Selling mounted animals is tricky.

There was a similar post a few years ago.

You might also want to give this shop a call but it appears that if they are in Wisconsin they have to stay in Wisconsin.

TWRA???
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency???

AAAAHHHH.......As long as they were legally hunted and killed, legally exported and imported; TWRA, to my knowledge, doesn't have a problem with trophies regardless of where hunted.

I can check with my friends at local TWRA headquarters to verify and give you a POC.

Currently: TWRA is very concerned with whitetail deer, moose, and elk parts being brought in due to CWD and some other diseases, apologies on not remembering exactly which diseases.

After my Dad died last year my mom tried disposing of all of his mounts. He had roughly 80 mounts, 20+ were not accepted by the auction house. DNR stopped the sale of his several black bears that he took in Canada because there is now a black bear season in Maryland, where my mom resides. I personally feel any animal taken legally should be allowed to be sold, but that is definitely not the case. Selling mounted animals is tricky.
Agreed selling certain mounts are "tricky". But as a rule and in general, the "paper trail", should have cleared the black bears or any other trophies to be sold by the executor/estate via of the "Last Will and Testament".

Fairly certain it is a Lacey Act violation to sell outside any state other than where located.
I believe any Cat killed in the US or imported into the US requires a CITES permit - even a Bobcat killed in Texas requires a CITES permit to remove it from the State.
But, and this needs to be verified — after obtaining the initial CITES permit you can move it around State to State without additional permits….just like wearing a Fur Coat of Bobcat or Lynx fur —- there is No permit required to travel State to State.
You should be able to check this with a Taxidermist that handles Cats—- African Cats etc..

I believe any Cat killed in the US or imported into the US requires a CITES permit - even a Bobcat killed in Texas requires a CITES permit to remove it from the State.
But, and this needs to be verified — after obtaining the initial CITES permit you can move it around State to State without additional permits….just like wearing a Fur Coat of Bobcat or Lynx fur —- there is No permit required to travel State to State.
You should be able to check this with a Taxidermist that handles Cats—- African Cats etc..

I have the CITES permit for my Dad’s leopard, the auction house who specializes in mounted animals would not touch it, Maryland DNR said it could not be sold nor could it cross the state line to be given to a family member. Perhaps these people are wrong, but my 91 year old mother is following what she and my brother were told. Seems to be a lot of confusion with mounted animals.

I have the CITES permit for my Dad’s leopard, the auction house who specializes in mounted animals would not touch it, Maryland DNR said it could not be sold nor could it cross the state line to be given to a family member. Perhaps these people are wrong, but my 91 year old mother is following what she and my brother were told. Seems to be a lot of confusion with mounted animals.
Andrew, I would Not do anything you or your Mother are uncomfortable with. I’m Not surprised by the comments from Maryland DNR and it’s possible they are correctly citing the Law (Although I could Not find any written law specific to this). I tried to google any laws specific to moving taxidermy from one State to another and could find nothing helpful - including never found anyone ever prosecuted for doing so.…but that doesn’t mean it could not happen. I’m gonna be careful next time Wife wears her Fur Coat and we leave the State….don’t want her or the coat put in Jail !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldaddy

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.