Recent content by yumastepside

  1. yumastepside

    Classic stalking rifles - today

    Mines the economy model...I'm building it on account....on account that I have no money :sneaky: Roger
  2. yumastepside

    Classic stalking rifles - today

    I'm doing the same Gumpy...I was given a Portuguese Vergiero action many years ago. I bought a 1909 Argy barrel in 7.65x53 from Roger Vardy, had an old BRNO stock, a '98 trigger guard and started putting them together. Having a split bridge, I was thinking of making a scope mount like this...
  3. yumastepside

    Comment by 'yumastepside' in media 'Bullet Comparison'

    Nice ! Had a few 303/25's over the years, my current one is actually a 257 Roberts rimmed because I had a heap of 7x57R cases from my old BRNO combination 7x57R/12g. My first " big " gun was a 303/270 P14 when I was about 14.
  4. yumastepside

    Ivan the terrible or did the Russians accidentally build a budget stalking rifle ?

    Sarg, the Baikal in the top 3 pics belongs to Chris Dawes, a gunsmith from Canada, he also built a beautiful 303 Enfield. I have a Baikal in 7.62x39 to use up all my old SKS ammo, then I will rebarrel it to 6.5x39... Chris' 303... Roger
  5. yumastepside

    What safety style is prefer Mauser 98

    Please remember....This is a question about what you prefer or are comfortable with...not which is the best....personal taste and usage. Roger
  6. yumastepside

    What safety style is prefer Mauser 98

    All my '98s have a low swing flag on the left side.....as my hand grips the stock my thumb pushes the safety down. Most low swing safety's are on the right which always felt odd to me....having to push it down before getting a proper grip....or having to bring your thumb back over... Roger
  7. yumastepside

    Would you benefit from a custom knife SHEATH?

    When making knife sheath's, the first thing I ask the customer is....are you left or right handed or do you prefer a crossdraw, second is... what belt width do you need it to fit ? If you are making custom sheaths it must be to what the customer wants.
  8. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    Yes, this is a load I'm hoping to replicate in the 8-06 using Woodleigh's. Roger
  9. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    I have attached part of a powder conversion chart.. Roger
  10. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    I don't mean to be rude, but did anyone read my opening question ? I am well aware of the history and reasons for the 8-06, what I am really interested in is .....who has and uses one, what you think of it, whats your go to projectile and load..... Roger
  11. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    OK, why not bump it up to.400.....in the end it all comes down to personal preference......personally my choices are 6.5, 8mm and .400, sometimes its because that's the calibre barrel you have to do something with, sometimes its because you hate .243 ( G'Day Bob ) There is no " more dead " by...
  12. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    I agree Bob, I have a bloke at our local range that shoots off a couple of boxes of 270's a week and doesn't reload....so plenty of free brass ! Plus I have a 270 RCBS improved reamer ( 30 Deg. shoulder ) that I bush the pilot for whatever calibre....it matches the 6.5-06 RCBS M70 Winchester...
  13. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    If you're talking about the difference between a 30-06 and an 8-06...15 thou....even that small amount makes a difference.....its all about the larger frontal area....the larger frontal area, the larger the wound channel. 30-06, up 15 thou to....8-06, up 15 thou to...338, and so on and so forth.
  14. yumastepside

    Full stock hunting rifles?

    I have always liked full stocked rifles, I have a couple.....pictured below is my working rifle, nothing fancy....a Husqvarna M96 military rifle in 6.5x55 Improved shooting 129gr Hornady interlocks. I picked up the stock at a gun fair for $80 ( I am too lazy to shorten the 21" barrel ) I fitted...
  15. yumastepside

    8-06 users ?

    Yes, a 318-06 would be OK, but I went with the 8mm-06 Imp. because of the availability of 8mm pills and the buckets of .270 cases and the improved reamer that I already have. With only .15 thou. difference between .338 and 8mm.....not much in it . To be honest there's not much between the three...
 
Top