Recent content by SJN

  1. S

    Rigby would like to know your caliber preference(s) for a Highland Stalker model without iron sights

    To me, a rifle without open sights looks ugly, unfinished and bare. I do have one in 7x64 Brenneke, it is my favorite, light and handels like a dream but is no beauty. I will not buy a chopped Rigby. The only reason I opted for the 300WinMag is its versatility and although I do own one I never...
  2. S

    best bolt action for dangerous games

    I agree. Right there with the most reliable.
  3. S

    best bolt action for dangerous games

    This being the original question that started these very interesting conversation’s, my penny’s worth. Let's consider the most common issues encountered by bolt actions when hunting DG and the pressure is on. Magazine floor plates that jump open under recoil and spills cartridges all over...
  4. S

    Wanted Mannlicher-Schoenauer In 458

    A piece of info that you might not be aware off. The M'S Magnums were produced with 650mm = 25.6” barrels and when the factory were requested to shorten the barrel on the .458Win Mag they refused to do so as the long barrel ensured that the M'S was the only factory build rifle that could obtain...
  5. S

    Wanted Mannlicher-Schoenauer In 458

    That is the way the M'S rotary mag was designed. Absolutely calibre specific and in later years it became one of the drawbacks of the M'S. Even smal conversions became hazardous because of the magazine design, such as converting the 6.5x54MS to any other 6.5 or the 8x56MS to the 8x57 Mauser or...
  6. S

    Wanted Mannlicher-Schoenauer In 458

    Hi Sourdough Gert and I know each other quite well, as I reside in Pretoria and I followed his progress with the exporting process etc. Congratulations with your purchase and I trust you will be more than satisfied with the rife and its handeling. Is this your first and only M'S?
  7. S

    Wanted Mannlicher-Schoenauer In 458

    As you may have noticed, I am not very active on this site. However, when M-S is discussed, I do pop in from time to time as I am a collector of MS rifles. R.e. the 458 in MS - I have 2 of them the MC and MCA models. Both in excellent condition, especially the MC model which has only fired 4...
  8. S

    Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

    Amen
  9. S

    Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

    Thanks for pointing out the typo, obviously should be 6.5x54 for the Mannlicher.
  10. S

    Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

    My personality is such that I tend to wonder a bid “off the beaten track” Hence, I prefer the 7x64 Breneke to the 270 Win for plains game. For thin skinned game in bush veldt the 6.5x55 Mannlicher Schoenauer with 160gr bullets has hardly an equal. Penetration is fantastic with little meat...
  11. S

    Ugly question: 9.3x62 vs .338WM

    When the pro’s and con’s of calibers are argued around Africa’s campfires, it goes silent when the 9.3x62 comes up for discussion. Because there is noting to argue about. Full stop. Sarel (Hunting Africa for 60 Years)
  12. S

    The African 3 gun battery

    Luchy you. Don't shoot them, keep as collection.
  13. S

    The African 3 gun battery

    Nice choice HWL (Georg) I support your 6.5x54MS loaded with 160Gr roundnose bullets you can take all thin skin game including Lion. Then a hammer drilling in 9,3x74 the smooth bores being either 16g or 12 g. The problem in your era of choice is not caliber choice but bullet construction for...
  14. S

    Mannlicher-Schoenauer, history, models, performance, features, storys

    Well done, beautiful mounts. Any of you guys interested in joining our Mannlicher Shoenauer Club for free! Send WhatsApp to +27832621699
 
Top