Recent content by Rider717

  1. Rider717

    Latest on CBP form 4457

    Just got back the States yesterday morning. At the firearm retrieval in Atlanta it went very smoothly. They have a sign out front telling you to bring your passport, 4457, and your hunting boots. They disinfect your boots right there and have you unlock your gun case. When they're ready to...
  2. Rider717

    Latest on CBP form 4457

    That's what I am expecting. Thanks for the reply. I'll update after the trip.
  3. Rider717

    Latest on CBP form 4457

    The agents I dealt with in Atlanta were great. The 4457 was easy and took less thn 30 minutes to complete. They had specific directions to NOT include suppressors on the form any more. this is probably in the last 2-3 weeks. They said they don't care about anything other than the firearms...
  4. Rider717

    Latest on CBP form 4457

    Hello all, I'm heading to South Africa at the end of July and am bringing a suppresor with me for the fist time to SA. I went to Atlanta CBP to get my form 4457 and they told me they have directions to not include the suppressor on the form They gave me some information sheets on getting NFA...
  5. Kudu Horn Core Wall Sconces

    Kudu Horn Core Wall Sconces

  6. Tanzanian Scrum Cap Buffalo Shoulder Mount In Progress

    Tanzanian Scrum Cap Buffalo Shoulder Mount In Progress

  7. Rider717

    Cape buffalo scrum cap or old warrior mounts

    Here is my Tanzanian scrum cap at the taxidermist. It should be home by May (I hope). I wanted a shoulder mount to display this truly ancient warrior!
  8. Rider717

    What do you do with your Kudu Horn Cores?

    I found a nice kudu skeleton in 2019 and kept the horns. My taxidermist took the horns and turned them in to wall sconces that sit out side my trophy room. I got some carved ostrich egg shells to put over them.
  9. Rider717

    Taxidermy in checked luggage

    I have brought 6 finished taxidermy birds back from Cape Town. I was a working crew member so I brought them as carry-on luggage. I contacted USFWS in Atlanta (my port of entry) and they were very helpful in detailing what I needed to do. Here is the email they sent to me: Updated 12/08/2023...
  10. Rider717

    Suppressing a Dangerous Game rifle - 458 lott

    My outfitter checked with the game department and was told it was legal. At the airport weapons checks I made sure to point it out to the inspectors who were all ok with it. Our game scout said it was legal. I think it depends on who they ask and what day of the week it is. I certainly...
  11. Rider717

    Suppressing a Dangerous Game rifle - 458 lott

    My R8 .375 H&H in the Selous, Tanazania. Thats a Banish 45 8.6" suppressor. It added weight, which didn't bother me, but the length was something I had to think about walking under branches. After using suppressors on PH rifles in SA I am a convert to using them. Looks are individual taste...
  12. Rider717

    Howdy from SC

    Welcome from a lowcountry dweller!
  13. Rider717

    suppressor info

    I took mine to Tanzania in July and just put it on my 4457. Customs couldn't have cared less in coming back through Atlanta. Only thing they checked was the serial number on my rifle. Neither Ethiopian nor Tanazanian authorities cared about the suppressor. Only the rifle serial number and...
  14. Rider717

    How did you get your handle or user name?

    My last name and the plane I was flying when I joined, the Boeing 717. My usual call sign is Unknown Rider. I fly the A350 now. Some of you may have been on a flight with me to Joburg or Cape Town!
 
Top