Recent content by Hammergun

  1. Hammergun

    Future One-Rifle PG-DG Setup

    I will say I'm a closer is better kind of guy but sometimes you can't get closer. I really had no intention of shooting at 300 yds but having practiced at that range gave me confidence at shorter ranges. The PH asked how far I could shoot the 416 and I told him I was good to 250 off sticks. 300...
  2. Hammergun

    Future One-Rifle PG-DG Setup

    I used a 416 RM for my all rounder. I took two scopes, a 1-4 and a 2-7. I of course used the lower power for Buffalo but in a pinch could've used the 2-7. Warne detachable mounts allowed me to switch the scopes and both held zero just fine. I took plains game out to 250 yards with this setup. No...
  3. Hammergun

    Learn from my mistakes - Buffalo

    My PH is very experienced and explained that every bullet put into a buffalo increased the chance of recovery. Even less than perfect shots helped. He also thankfully said that he would not shoot unless absolutely necessary on a charge. We were in a mountainous region and finding and recovering...
  4. Hammergun

    Learn from my mistakes - Buffalo

    My PH warned me that a fatally shot buffalo would often cover some ground. He said to keep shooting as long as he was on his feet. I practiced for it and it was needed. Four good shots in him to put him down. Only lasted about 20 seconds but pretty exciting. He also had me shoot him in the spine...
  5. Hammergun

    Case head separation?

    I didn't see it mentioned but I assume this is 375 h&h ammunition. Please post a photo of the lot number on the end flap of the box so that members here can check their ammunition.
  6. Buffalo Skull  Pedestal Mount Taxidermy

    Buffalo Skull Pedestal Mount Taxidermy

  7. Hammergun

    NIB Sako Finnbear 30-06 Carbine (Full Stock)

    Nice rifle. That checkering patch just wasn't cut to full depth. No big deal. I could fix that in 10 minutes.
  8. Hammergun

    I need a complete with screws rear peep sight for a Mossberg model 152

    There's one on ebay in the US. $149 or best offer. Don't worry about the screws. They're easy to come by. Probably 6-48 or 5-40 which you can order online.
  9. Hammergun

    View out the window- Post your pics

    Our meadow from our front porch.
  10. Hammergun

    DRY firing practice

    Beating the dead horse. Yes. Dry fire with dummy cartridges so that you are working the bolt and practicing follow up shots. You can't doing it too much. Also, practice reloading your rifle while you keep an eye on your animal. You should be able to reload without looking at your rifle.
  11. Hammergun

    First South African Safari....A bit overwhelmed

    My wife and I hunted with Limcroma and were very pleased. I think the smallest fenced area that we hunted was 12,000 acres. Went through a gate and didn't see the fence at all. They have some great hunting for Bushbuck along the Limpopo and Crocodile rivers. Please remember that "game proof"...
  12. Hammergun

    An interesting double rifle action

    Plus a dolls head. Imagine fitting all those bolts
 
Top