Recent content by FG8JMW

  1. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    As I had stated before, I fear the issues with Jannie's communication failures, invalid bookings by he and his team, and lack of accountability are general and not specific to this being an auction hunt. If he specifically chooses to have lower service and lesser experience for auctions hunters...
  2. F

    Anyone had a ph tell you to shoot the wrong animal or wrong shot?

    I was on one 2x1 hunt with a buddy, one who was a bit inexperienced and shared that with the PH. I was observing one day as he was looking for a Impala. The PH spotted one, put my buddy on the stick pointed at it and then looking through his binos to watch. My buddy somehow changed his focus to...
  3. F

    Cape Buffalo Hunt-Bring or Rent a rifle?

    I planned to take my own on a buffalo hunt last year but airline issues ended up with it being delayed so long that I never had it in camp. I used a 375 camp rifle which was obviously well used, but also was accurate and did the job for me. Accuracy was surprisingly good, but I wished their...
  4. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    I joined a forum to share my experience with the outfitter. Part of the point of this forum is to share feedback, both positive and negative. Someone's time in business does not exempt them from changing or going downhill. They way they act in present day is very much a factor when people are...
  5. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    The feedback shared here was not around an auction nor around pricing. It was around Jannie's behaviors and interactions with clients: - Falsely claiming lodgings were booked - Changing items in the itinerary without informing me that changes were being made - Failing to correctly book things...
  6. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    umm, that auction was not purchased by me. And, as I stated above, I never disputed the auction payment nor the full separate amount paid to Jannie Otto, I only disputed a portion of what was paid to him that was equal to the downgrades and cost incurred by me due to his failures to provide...
  7. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    Unfortunately, you are incorrect on a number of your understandings and statments there. 1 - Communication from outfitter could have been massively better. 2 -The "expanding" as you call it was not a complicating factor when the outfitter invited it and encouraged it. So if it were a...
  8. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    That's the experience I had with other hunts with outfitters! My PHs from all my other hunts are in WhatsApp and we chat periodically to keep in touch and talk about future plans.
  9. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    If he had engaged in professional and respectful discourse then I believe we could have worked things out. Unfortunately, interactions with him were all around blaming others and making clear he didn't see fault in anything he did. If he came here, he would just argue this was all my fault and...
  10. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    Looks like Jannie is still working hard to refuse accountability and blame others! After ignoring my messages for over 2 months where I attempted to find a resolution and avoid being forced to do a credit card chargeback, Jannie has now messaged to threaten to sue me for having posted my...
  11. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    I think that there is great opportunity to enjoy a Vic Falls trip. And I would recommend it to people to do as an add on to a hunt. The falls are a great view and it went well for everything we booked on our own. Just stay away from Jannie Otto and you'll be good.
  12. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    Auction or not, the mistakes made with the bookings, the poor communication, the changes made without telling me, and the repeated refusal to accept responsibility for those mistakes or make any attempt to make up for them is the reason I would avoid Jannie Otto. I had not found reviews around...
  13. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    No, I planned from the start to extend it and add animals, knowing 3 is short. We went for 5 hunting days and also added on animals beyond those included in the auction.
  14. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    My previous auction hunts were actually great experiences and led me to booking return hunts with each outfitter. In those I never felt like I was treated different for being an auction hunt. I think the key is to ensure you do your research on people before booking an auction. I thought Jannie...
  15. F

    SOUTH AFRICA: Jannie Otto Safaris - Cannot Recommend

    For my previous 5 hunts I'd done all my own bookings. This one proved that I need to keep doing that, or at least use someone trustworthy and complete like Darren & Jennifer. I've booked some flights through them and only had good experiences with plenty of support and Q&A time.
 
Top