Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Gents,

I was interested in knowing how you guys who take your double rifles to Africa pack your rifles. On my one and only trip with a double two years ago, I packed it in my Americase broke down. Reason being was that it had to be broken down to see the serial number. So it seemed logical at the time to put it in this way. And yes, I used plenty of foam pieces to ensure the parts didn't bang into and scratch it up. And when we got to Uganda I didn't have to pull out the entire rifle and break it down there.

Now the situation is the same with my Chapuis. It has to be broken apart to see the serial number. Do any of you do this too, or do you just put in the case whole and break it down once you're there? I feel like I may be overthinking this.

Phil, I put my doubles in my Americase whole. I feel like they fit better and therefore there is less chance of damage to the rifle. On both my doubles the serial number is also on the the fore-end and so far I have only had to remove that and show the serial number to the customs officials. and this has been the case in the US or in Africa. They have never asked to see the serial number on the receiver so I have never had to completely break down the rifle. But even if I knew I would have to I would still put the rifle in the case whole.

Phil, can't really add much to the thread in terms of what you are asking. Just remember that this is Africa. Had to explain the difference to the agent between snap caps and live rounds, and mine aren't the home made ones. These are the purple plastic ones. Constantly asked me to take the "bullets" out.

My double travels assembled in my Pelican case alongside a 375 H&H if primarily a dangerous game hunt, or a 300 Wthby if primarily a plains game hunt. I don’t bring snap caps because almost no one knows what they are and I don’t want to create any questions or confusion.

I pack all my rifles the same way: The rifle is in a Murray Leather Top Zipper case, inside a Tuffpak. My double stays assembled. When I need to show the serial number I just break it open - or if I have to, take the fore stock off.

My double rifle travels in a purpose-built Alpine fitted case where there is a near zero chance of it getting g damaged. The four clips and two positive locks are about as burst proof as you can imagine and the lid is water tight.
This is not just for long distance hold travel, but also on the back of the hunting truck where the risk of damage in a soft slip is high.
IMG_0237.jpeg

I have taken them in a 2 gun americase, and broken down in a short aluminum double rifle/shotgun case.

Gents,

I was interested in knowing how you guys who take your double rifles to Africa pack your rifles. On my one and only trip with a double two years ago, I packed it in my Americase broke down. Reason being was that it had to be broken down to see the serial number. So it seemed logical at the time to put it in this way. And yes, I used plenty of foam pieces to ensure the parts didn't bang into and scratch it up. And when we got to Uganda I didn't have to pull out the entire rifle and break it down there.

Now the situation is the same with my Chapuis. It has to be broken apart to see the serial number. Do any of you do this too, or do you just put in the case whole and break it down once you're there? I feel like I may be overthinking this.
Given I always am taking my DR and my bolt action I never break the DR down. Just use me 2 gun pelican case with wheels and no problems. If I did not always take a bolt action as well, I probably would buy a smaller pelican case for just DRs...the reason being not as identifiable to would be theives plus ease of handling.

- or if I have to, take the fore stock off.

This little nugget got me to thinking and took time to look again at my rifle. I had not noticed before, but under the forearm is another one of the places a Chapuis serial number can be found. It's one of three actually.

This makes the decision easier. I didn't want to have to break the whole rifle down in some small office, but just taking the forearm off is no big deal.

Thanks for all the replies.

Phil, I do exactly as you have done. The foam in my case is cut to firmly hold the broke down double and all one has to do is open the case and both serial numbers can clearly be seen in a few seconds. Easy in and easy out.

This little nugget got me to thinking and took time to look again at my rifle. I had not noticed before, but under the forearm is another one of the places a Chapuis serial number can be found. It's one of three actually.

This makes the decision easier. I didn't want to have to break the whole rifle down in some small office, but just taking the forearm off is no big deal.

Thanks for all the replies.
It really isn't that tough, and takes very little time.

My last trip through Zambia, the longest part of the firearms inspection was the Supervisor posing for pictures with my rifles.

It really isn't that tough, and takes very little time.

My last trip through Zambia, the longest part of the firearms inspection was the Supervisor posing for pictures with my rifles.
Don’t care about the time, just trying to avoid some newbie freaking out because I need to handle the rifle. Have had that happen here once.

Gents,

Nope. Mine is in a leather gun slip inside my Pelican.

I have taken my double on five separate trips to Africa and have always had it broke down when traveling. I do it for a couple reasons as mentioned. For easy to show the serial numbers and I don’t like to have it cocked and springs depressed when traveling. I’m sure you could try to have the conversation of using your snap caps once they have seen the serial numbers but I don’t want to take that chance. Easier to just have it taken down and ready for inspection.

I have taken my double on five separate trips to Africa and have always had it broke down when traveling. I do it for a couple reasons as mentioned. For easy to show the serial numbers and I don’t like to have it cocked and springs depressed when traveling. I’m sure you could try to have the conversation of using your snap caps once they have seen the serial numbers but I don’t want to take that chance. Easier to just have it taken down and ready for inspection.
I'm sure there's some guys on here who can explain it better; if you hold the triggers back as you close the barrels it's de-cocked.

Don’t care about the time, just trying to avoid some newbie freaking out because I need to handle the rifle. Have had that happen here once.
And they will.

I had one sound the alarm because a swab test of the case showed positive for gun powder.

Last time coming home through SFO I was surrounded by agents at the checkpoint because the new guy thought I was in possession of a stolen rifle. The serial number was on the "Hot Sheet". When he finally answered my question about why the panic - I asked him to confirm make and model.

His response, "Oh - sorry".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you