SOUTH AFRICA: My First Hunting Safari, Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS 2024

Pirkan

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Ever since I got into hunting at a very young age I´ve dreamt about some day going on a hunting trip in Africa. I thought that this would remain just a dream for a very long time but a couple of years ago I found this forum by chance and the dream seemed more and more feasible way sooner than I had expected. I got very lucky with a good job immediatly after highschool and decided to go for it so I made a post on this forum saying that I was looking for a hunt. I received a lot of offers and Stuart of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS gave me some very good offers and was very responsive to all my silly beginner questions so I decided to book a hunt with them. The hunt was to take place april 10th to 20th on their farm near Alldays in Limpopo and my dad would come along as an observer.
1714142555454.png

After a couple of days in Johannesburg we were picked up by Stuart, owner of Tally-Ho, and were driven to the hunting area. Leaving the big city and seeing the South African country side for the first time made us very excited for the hunt and I was practically glued to my window for the entire trip looking at a landscape that I had previously only seen in pictures. When we arrived at the lodge we met the staff and were introduced to Rudi, the ph we would be hunting with.

Rudi did an excellent job of taking two lost swedes and introducing them to hunting in Africa. He took our wishes very seriously and went to great lengths to make sure we had an exciting hunt which he certainly succeded with. Seeing his ability to always keep things exciting and to gradually increase the difficulty over our stay was very impressive and it gave me the same feeling as when I was younger and had just started hunting at home. He also did an excellent job of showing how varied the hunting can be and introduced us to types of hunting that simply don´t exist at home.
fb668f74-99e8-4bc3-8c5e-df5e09f338f3.jpeg

Since I am still very much a beginner I can´t really comment on the quality of trophies on their land but for me a trophy on the wall has always been a way to remember an exciting hunt and all of the trophies I brought home certainly has some very good stories with them so I am absolutely stoked and can´t wait for my taxidermist to be done with them. For the same reasons I don´t know how the accomodations and facilities in general compare to other outfitters but they were very comfortable and the food was excellent every meal so I am yet again very happy with those. One thing that I also want to mention is how incredibly helpful Stuart was from the moment I started planning the hunt until we got home and he has always given helpful answers to all my questions and helped solve all problems that came up.
b042dff3-b886-42ee-97e3-26d4180ce26f.jpeg

All in all it was a great trip that challenged a lot of what I thought I knew about hunting in Africa and I can definetely see why some people here devote their lives to it so I will defintely have to go back some day.
I have also developed a massive urge for a 375 after shooting Rudi´s.

I appreciate your report. Always good to hear that someone has had a good hunt. Would love to hear more details about stalks. Did you hunt more than the 2 animals pictured? If so then more pictures would be great. Congrats!
Bruce

Thanks for your report. Congratulations on getting it done earlier than you thought. AH tends to do that to members.

Ever since I got into hunting at a very young age I´ve dreamt about some day going on a hunting trip in Africa. I thought that this would remain just a dream for a very long time but a couple of years ago I found this forum by chance and the dream seemed more and more feasible way sooner than I had expected. I got very lucky with a good job immediatly after highschool and decided to go for it so I made a post on this forum saying that I was looking for a hunt. I received a lot of offers and Stuart of @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS gave me some very good offers and was very responsive to all my silly beginner questions so I decided to book a hunt with them. The hunt was to take place april 10th to 20th on their farm near Alldays in Limpopo and my dad would come along as an observer.
View attachment 601640
After a couple of days in Johannesburg we were picked up by Stuart, owner of Tally-Ho, and were driven to the hunting area. Leaving the big city and seeing the South African country side for the first time made us very excited for the hunt and I was practically glued to my window for the entire trip looking at a landscape that I had previously only seen in pictures. When we arrived at the lodge we met the staff and were introduced to Rudi, the ph we would be hunting with.

Rudi did an excellent job of taking two lost swedes and introducing them to hunting in Africa. He took our wishes very seriously and went to great lengths to make sure we had an exciting hunt which he certainly succeded with. Seeing his ability to always keep things exciting and to gradually increase the difficulty over our stay was very impressive and it gave me the same feeling as when I was younger and had just started hunting at home. He also did an excellent job of showing how varied the hunting can be and introduced us to types of hunting that simply don´t exist at home.
View attachment 601644
Since I am still very much a beginner I can´t really comment on the quality of trophies on their land but for me a trophy on the wall has always been a way to remember an exciting hunt and all of the trophies I brought home certainly has some very good stories with them so I am absolutely stoked and can´t wait for my taxidermist to be done with them. For the same reasons I don´t know how the accomodations and facilities in general compare to other outfitters but they were very comfortable and the food was excellent every meal so I am yet again very happy with those. One thing that I also want to mention is how incredibly helpful Stuart was from the moment I started planning the hunt until we got home and he has always given helpful answers to all my questions and helped solve all problems that came up.
View attachment 601643
All in all it was a great trip that challenged a lot of what I thought I knew about hunting in Africa and I can definetely see why some people here devote their lives to it so I will defintely have to go back some day.
great experience and animals taken!!!

Well you now have the Africa bug, my one trip is now about to be my third. Congrats and what a wonderful thing having your father along.

Congratulations. Another happy hunter with Tally Ho, thats awesome

View attachment 601640

View attachment 601644
View attachment 601643
Thank you for a great report! My friends and I booked with Stuart in July 2025 and cannot wait! Glad you had a great time.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

The 2 pics you posted appear to be very fine quality animals to match your quality experience Congrats !

Hay there @Pirkan

Thx for posting this report

There always seems to be a pic of rudi up a tree

They hunted a number of cull animals too and got a great sun tan on his pale swedish skin

Best regards

I appreciate your report. Always good to hear that someone has had a good hunt. Would love to hear more details about stalks. Did you hunt more than the 2 animals pictured? If so then more pictures would be great. Congrats!
Bruce
In total i shot 12 animals (excluding baboons, doves and guinea fowl). One trophy impala, one young male (cull animal) and 5 female impalas (cull/hyena bait) one zebra female, one female warthog, one trophy bull blue wildebeest, one trophy duiker male (ram/bull idk?) and one waterbuck female.

There´s way too much to write about all the stalks but the wildebeest was one of the most memorable hunts I´ve ever done. It took us a couple days to finally shoot one but we got very close multiple times from the get go and I initially passed on a shot on a bull because the plan was to shoot a cow. I also completely missed a shot on a cow quite early becuase I hit a thin branch that I couldn´t see in the scope. We had wildebeest very close to us too many times to count but the bush was too thick to shoot and they got spooked before we got close enough. On the third day of hunting I finnaly got a shot at a bull that I could just barely see enough of. After all our efforts I didn´t care that it cost a bit more so I shot it and it went down after running maybe 150 meters. During our efforts we also saw a leopard at 60-70 meters which was incredibly cool and saw some buffalo very close so I am very happy that I did´nt shoot the bull we saw in the beginning.

We spotted a lot of waterbuck near a waterhole very close to the butchery/farm area they had on the property the nights we were there so Rudi put out a couple chairs under a tree nearby and we attempted to hunt them. The first night we didn´t shoot anything before it got dark and we got hungry, the second night I shot my warthog, the third night I shot my duiker. Every night when we had gotten the animals sorted in the butchery we saw waterbuck there on our way back to the lodge. Before heading out on the fourth night we were accused of just fucking around since we took potshots at every baboon we saw and shot everything but waterbuck and were told that we were not allowed to have any beer before I shot a waterbuck (this was just friendly banter of course). We sat under the trees for a good while waiting anxiously for the waterbuck to appear. Just as it was starting to get too dark to shoot a group of them finally appeared and I got of a great shot at one of the females that ran maybe 100 meters before dying which we celebrated with some beer.

I´m no Hemingway and english isn´t my first language but this is something atleast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragan Zivkovic

Latest profile posts

Handmade plaques for all kinds of African trophies. If you are interested, feel free to contact me in a message.
IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.