Soft Gun Case

I too am weary of thin sleeves. Some bakkies have padded racks, some do not, and I do not trust a single layer of fabric to protect nice walnut or expensive optics.

I use Boyt "Signature" cases:
  • Padded enough to protect against all but the most brutal shocks on sharp angles.
  • Thin enough to remain practical and fit in racks.
  • Cotton canvas is breathable and does not trap residual moisture, if any (including from sweaty hands).
  • The cases are extremely sturdy, with brass zipper, and available in a number of different lengths in 2" increments from 40" to 50".
  • The muzzle end is reinforced with thick leather.
When I travel(ed) with the Pelican 1750, I remove(d) the central foam layer and transport(ed) the rifles inside the soft cases inside the hard case. Two CZ 550 so transported came out to just less than 50 lbs.

Pelican 1750 with CZ .300 Wby & .375 H&H.jpg

Now that I travel with the Pelican 1700, I fold the two soft cases and use them as bottom layer under the cut out central layer. This is a tight fit but it works because the case for the double rifle takes a lot less space than the case for the scoped R8, which itself is shorter than the cases for 26" barreled standard rifles.

Pelican 1700 with Krieghoff .470 + Blaser R8 & 2 barrels.jpg

I have, so far, always hunted with PHs who drive the bakkie themselves, and I seat in the front with them. I keep the rifle in the Boyt case, muzzle down, alongside my leg and the central console, held in place by the stock wedging (inside the case) between the seat and console. When hunting, I keep the case two third unzippered for extremely convenient and unobtrusive casing/uncasing of the rifle.

Last edited:
For my upcoming trip next year I need to pick up a soft gun case that won't take up much room in my hard rifle case.

I fowled up on my first trip and didn't bring one and my PH was a little bit perturbed at me because I didn't have one for out excursion off of the outfitters property.

I have a couple that I got from Cabela's years ago. They are just a nice cotton case that is secured with a Velcro strip on the open end but I was looking for something a little bit better. Also after having them for 20 or so years they are really starting to show the wear on them.

So what are you using that is simple but effective?
your outfitter or PH should have supplied one, its common sense to have quite a few lying around

Good question because it brings up a conundrum! :) Thin sleeve will work and takes up least amount of luggage space but provides limited protection. Thicker, zippered case will provide much better protection but can take up a lot of luggage space. I have used the PH's or outfitter's in the past. Some jurisdictions I believe require a cased firearm when transporting. I have also taken a sleeve made of thick canvas that seems to work fine and doesn't take up much space.
Correct. When you are on a public road the gun has to be in a case.

I have thought about contacting the outfitter and asking him to just purchase a case for me and then donate it to the lodge when I am done. Lot less headache for me in the long run since here in the US I have everything covered and really don't need more than I already have.

On the sewing thing, I have a bunch of muslin that I use to make game bags out of and my sister loves to sew.
Jim
You just need a standard soft case. I take out enough foam in the gun case to make it fit. I’ve been many places and in some of those it’s not practical to ask the PH to have you one. We want to be self reliant on these trips.
Measure your rifle length and just go shopping! Don’t over think it.
We will have a great safari.
Philip

Phillip I found just what I was looking for the other day. Very lightweight rifle sleeve, they should be here in a couple of days.

Here is what I picked up. They are a little heavier than I would of liked but they are nicer than I expected.

They cost $8 a piece and I got them from Ace Case on the WWW. The one open end has a couple of ties to close it up. They are flat enough that they won't take up any room in my hard case.

oaA38Le.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My next trip I’ll take a modern rifle scabbard/case. The cruiser we used had a rifle rack that my standard soft case just would not work with and a sock although a definite option would require additional time to slip off and on where my saddle scabbard could be adapted to many positions on the cruiser where it would be super handy while affording real protection.

For my upcoming trip next year I need to pick up a soft gun case that won't take up much room in my hard rifle case.

I fowled up on my first trip and didn't bring one and my PH was a little bit perturbed at me because I didn't have one for out excursion off of the outfitters property.

I have a couple that I got from Cabela's years ago. They are just a nice cotton case that is secured with a Velcro strip on the open end but I was looking for something a little bit better. Also after having them for 20 or so years they are really starting to show the wear on them.

So what are you using that is simple but effective?
Frankly I think the outfitter should realize people traveling from across the water will find it difficult to bring a soft sided case. He should have the. For the use of his clients. Every PH I have ever hunted with had them available.

I take a super cheap lightweight foam soft case from walmart, academy, or some place like that. I sometimes also take a gun sock.

lightweight is my biggest concern for travel. I go el cheapo so I can toss them if they get super dirty.

Cabela's Basic Gun Case - Rifle - 48"x10"x2"

SKU: 2427389

About $15. Worked fine for me. Once at the hunting area the rifle came out of the soft case and went in the rifle rack in the back of the bakkie. I have much nicer, but they are too thick and bulky to go inside my hard case.

For typical use I use the cheap Allen soft gun case from Walmart. They seem to fit a scoped CZ 550 with ease. The rubber cutouts in Land Cruiser seem different between manufactures. In Alaska I go with a floating waterproof case. That one came in handy Sunday when my face ate the river bank and had to chase stuff down.

Just back from SA. Need to consider how fast you can retrieve your gun from sleeve. i brought a gun sock and PH was not impressed due to time to get double rifle out of sleeve and on target if presented. Food for thought. Used his padded case. Will have a lightly paddEd case made for double rifle for fast retrieval if needed
Don

The cruiser I was on for my hunt had an upright rack that could hold two rifles. It makes for almost instantaneous removal.

A gun sock is rather difficult and slow to take off. It hangs up on everything. Gun sleeves, especially the Red Oxx sleeves, the gun will slide out of them with ease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8dayexpress

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg