Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
For my upcoming trip next year I need to pick up a soft gun case that won't take up much room in my hard rifle case.

I fowled up on my first trip and didn't bring one and my PH was a little bit perturbed at me because I didn't have one for out excursion off of the outfitters property.

I have a couple that I got from Cabela's years ago. They are just a nice cotton case that is secured with a Velcro strip on the open end but I was looking for something a little bit better. Also after having them for 20 or so years they are really starting to show the wear on them.

So what are you using that is simple but effective?

I personally like the Cabela's water proof soft cases. They keep my guns clean and dry if they need to ride in the back of the pickup, bakkie, in a boat, or sitting outside waiting for pickup in the rain. And it cleans up easier than standard cases if gets wet, dusty, dirty. They are a little more expensive than the standard soft cases but worth the money IMO. That said, do not ever leave a wet gun in one of those cases for a long period or you will have much rust.....

Good question because it brings up a conundrum! :) Thin sleeve will work and takes up least amount of luggage space but provides limited protection. Thicker, zippered case will provide much better protection but can take up a lot of luggage space. I have used the PH's or outfitter's in the past. Some jurisdictions I believe require a cased firearm when transporting. I have also taken a sleeve made of thick canvas that seems to work fine and doesn't take up much space.

I use a thin leather sleeve. Keeps the gun reasonably safe in a rack in the back of the cruiser. If moving between camps I use my airline travel case.

Depends on the circumstances for me...

Typically I just take a thin “gun sock” for a scoped rifle... they’re $10 on Amazon.. and will keep the rifle from scratching up the inside of the bakkie, and will keep the bakkie from scratching up the rifle.. and they take almost no space and weigh next to nothing when you’re traveling...

But if you’re planning on covering some rough terrain.. or if you’re taking along exceptionally nice rifles.. a simple “sock” is probably not enough protection... I also prefer a full zippered semi waterproof soft case when I know I’m going somewhere wet/snowy...

For South Africa and the working grade rifles I typically take (Winchester 70, 98 Mauser, etc)...it’s the sock...

For Alaska in November... it’s the nicer/thicker/wet weather treated padded zippered Cabelas soft case

Last edited:
I'm thinking a sock type, my rifle has a fiberglass stock so no worries there.

I am just more concerned with the laws of transporting a firearm that I didn't know on my first trip.

It was interesting in that a soft case was not on the outfitters recommended articles to bring when it is required if you are traveling on the public roads.

I agree on to never leave a rifle in a wet case. I have heard stories of hunters who did this and how their rifles looked when they did pull them out. When I was on a bear hunt up in British Colombia we lived in the rain for 7 out of 10 days. Whenever I pulled my rifle out of the saddle scabbard I'd wipe it down and then when back at the camp I would dry it off good to get ready for the next day.

Yah, a pull over sock type will work and is the least expensive and probably fulfills the legal requirement for "cased firearm". Several varieties out there. The unpadded canvas slip case is practical and provides some protection but few if any companies offer them. I did see some UK makers listed though for that type case. Track of the Wolf has such but they won't work for a scoped rifle.

When faced with this type dilemma, I usually look to DIY. Maybe a visit to the fabric shop plus a decent sewing machine? Simple design with overlap flap end with ties. I used to hand sew such cases for many of my MLs- tedious but it works. :)

I fowled up on my first trip and didn't bring one and my PH was a little bit perturbed at me because I didn't have one for out excursion off of the outfitters property.
Pretty weak from the PH to be honest - that he is something he should have had on hand to lend you if he was that uptight about it.

The law here (to the extent that is never enforced) requires the gun owner to 'case' his firearm while in a public place. It's debatable whether inside a vehicle counts as a public place, but as the discussion has suggested, a soft padded case isn't a bad idea just to protect against a few bumps and scrapes while traveling.
Your travel case will of course suffice, although it may be rather bulky and get in the way when not in use.

My 2c if this is an issue would be to suggest that you ask your PH/Outfitter to by you a case from Safari & Outdoor (their proprietary case) in advance, presuming you're hunting in RSA and transferring through JHB. Their own brand cases are plenty good enough (I have used several for years and they have protected my rifles through a fair amount of 'hard use'). They come in a regular length (suitable for up to 24" barrel) or extended length which is probably good for up to 30" barrel - the extended ones are intended for suppressed rifles to leave the suppressor in place, which is a major plus when in the hunting field. They cost around $50 - you could gift it to the PH afterwards for his trouble in purchasing it! And then he has one for his next hunter (I still maintain this is something he should have anyway....)

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/shootin...utdoor-varmint-green-rifle-bag-g00116111.html

There are of course other bags that would work just as well - I only mention the S&O option because I can personally endorse it (I have no ties with S&O)

I have thought about contacting the outfitter and asking him to just purchase a case for me and then donate it to the lodge when I am done. Lot less headache for me in the long run since here in the US I have everything covered and really don't need more than I already have.

On the sewing thing, I have a bunch of muslin that I use to make game bags out of and my sister loves to sew.

Browning 1410049248 Plainsman 44S Flex Case, Black (Amazon )

Either of these work in my Pelican Storm with one layer of foam removed. No pockets on either.

The Cabellas Basic is just barely adequate for a scoped Tikka rifle with NF 3-10x42 optic.

The Browning has room for a bigger optic. My Tikka 22 rimfire with 4-14x50 goes in this one,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.07.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.07.25 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.07.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.07.28 AM.png
    461.3 KB · Views: 94

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.38 PM.png
    874.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.40 PM.png
    624.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 3.32.42 PM.png
    706.3 KB · Views: 90
Red Oxx makes gun sleeves to order. Give them a call.

I left two of these with my PH in Namibia. They are excellent. I am having two new ones made out of soft tanned eland leather.

I wonder why Red Oxx doesn't include the gun sleeves on their website these days.

Definitely Red Oxx sleeve. I used it in Russia on a sled in the snow and in Africa. You can‘t beat it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the same thing about them going woke so I emailed them about the gun slips. They happily made me 2.

I hope they’re not going woke on us!
I couldn't find them anywhere on the site. I'd never have known they made them if not for this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otmtransport___

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg