Soft Gun Case

I have a Filson scoped rifle case that folds reasonably well. But I just plan on using one of the outfitter's plush cases like the last 2 trips when I leave next month. If my PH was "perturbed" at me for not bringing a soft case, I would tell him to kiss my ass and find a new PH.

I have Boyts (and others) as well, but they are way too stiff to try and fold. The Filson is not designed for it, but it could be made to work.

Banging around in a truck rack I prefer the thick "lambswool" lined cases (like Galco), but I'm not dragging one of those to Africa.

Last edited:
I travel with a Mystery Ranch softside case (https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-scabbard) placed inside a Cabelas hard case with one layer of foam removed from the Cabelas case. I leave the hard case in camp and the soft case provides protection in a vehicle, can be used as a scabbard and can be attached to a pack if necessary. The MR case is fairly lightweight and the dense foam and canvas provides quite good protection. It's only limitation is that a rifle with 26" barrel will not fit in it.

1621636041900.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a Red Oxx gun slip, just call them and they will make them in any color they carry. I ordered a few 2 weeks ago and they arrived this week.

If you want a Red Oxx gun slip, just call them and they will make them in any color they carry. I ordered a few 2 weeks ago and they arrived this week.
Pics? How much if you don't mind me asking?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 11.09.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 11.09.39 AM.png
    935.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 11.09.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 11.09.45 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
Most outfitters have soft cases on hand for use on the truck rack. I like a decent case for the rack, they can take quite a pounding at times so having a bit more padding is a good thing. You can put it in your luggage too, doesnt have to be with the rifle in your hard case.
I usually fold one up and stuff it in my big bag just in case its needed.

For a lightweight, packable gun slip that still gives a decent amount of protection, we use Bore Stores gun socks. Rifle can sit in the bakkie without being damaged or causing any. Also can be used over your rifle when it's in the rifle rack in the rear of the bakkie. Our rifles rode (most of the time) in the rear rifle rack in the gun sock from our lodge to the hunting area. Matter of fact, our rifles were almost always in the socks unless we are off the truck and on a track.

The red dust of South Africa is everywhere and there is no way to completely keep it from getting in every nook and cranny. However, we were able to minimize the amount of dust collected by using these socks. When we got home, we gave them a wash and they are good as new for the next time.

For travel between camps in South Africa, rifles go in a hard Pelican Protector case.

If we needed a softcase with serious wet weather protection, I'd probably get something like the Wetland Shotgun Case for each of us and remove our scopes if necessary. We may be doing this for a future trip to Alaska.

Gun socks offer little to no protection against jarring and pounding, as they have no padding. Fine for keeping dust out I guess, but thats about it. Its so easy to fold up a decent padded case in your luggage or lay it inside your hard rifle case.
Easier still confirm with your outfitter if he supplies a soft case, most do.

I have done the padded case in the past but have found a good gun slip to be more than sufficient (for me) and easier to pack. If my rifle cannot be secured/strapped down in the vehicle, I just hold it. I have always felt my rifle is safest and most secure in my hands. However, if the rifle has to be transported out of my direct control and supervision, I want it in a hard case or at a minimum, a good padded case.

I had a traditional style zippered case made from the leather of an eland and lined with sheared sheepskin. Very good protection but a bit bulky. My last trip to Africa I pulled some of the insulation from one half of hard gun case and fitted the leather into it. It worked well and gave my rifle excellent protection.
Check out Murray Leather. They make a number of fine products, will use your leather if you like, and will modify a design to suit. www.murraycustomleather.com

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.42 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 60

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.09.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.09.59 AM.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.01 AM.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.04 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 11.10.05 AM.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 62
How weird! Of all the subjects I would have thought all would agree on its this one. The idea that somehow throwing a decent soft case in ones luggage is a problem or difficult? Or just asking ones outfitter if its even needed. I think everyone I have hunted with had ample soft cases.
Gunny socks are worthless for protecting rifles from the jarring and pounding of the gun rack in the back of the truck, fine for finish but thats all, and none too handy either.
Surprising answers here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmbroseaDus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg