New here from Minn

IronRanger

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Been reading the forums for a few months, but first post.

Heading out on my first Safari in three weeks, so the excitement is starting to build. Working on shooting off sticks now, most of the planning done. A few questions I'm sure will still pop up. Really happy with the amount of info in the forums.

Leaving July 17th through ALT, Hunting plains game in RSA, using outfitters rifle, will be 2X1 spot n stock hunt over 10 days.

Seams two of the most gray areas are the whole taxidermy/shipping areas, and tipping. Any advice would be helpful.

Welcome to AH! Good luck on your hunt!

Hello and welcome!

Welcome Aboard…
I have never hunted Africa but, I am certain someone will be along shortly to answer all of your questions.

Welcome aboard IronRanger. AH has a "tipping guide" already posted. Re the use of a camp / rented rifle, past experiences are both positive and negative. I preferred to bring my own rifles and ammunition. I had my "trophies" dipped and shipped to the States for mounting. Some African Taxidermy is good but there are lots that are not. Have you been practicing shooting off sticks? If so, how is that coming?

Welcome. What are your top animals on list? Hunting Africa will be the best experience of your life. Don’t over pack, you can literally hunt with carry on luggage. You need no more than 3 changes of clothing and you will be wearing one set Who are you hunting with and where. I have used SA taxidermist for my trips. DM and I will share who I use if interested. Welcome to the club
Don

Giday IronRanger. Welcome to the A H forums.

Welcome! You will learn on this site! Good luck on your hunt!

Welcome! From MN too. Just finished 1st safari last month. Ask anything you need answers to!

Welcome to AH. Congratulations on your upcoming hunt.
As others have said, there is a Tipping Guide on this site. There are a lot of opinions on the topic.
I’ve seen some good African taxidermy but also a lot of garbage. Tangent to this, if something isn’t right, you have little recourse.
Know in advance how you’ll like each species mounted. Talk to your chosen taxidermist.
One additional thing to think of is the back skins. If you want to have some Items made from these, great. Some make nice throws over a chair. If you don’t think you’ll do this, don’t bother have them shipped. I used a few but have several, I’ll probably never use.

Hello IronRanger,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Some answers for above ?, I'll be hunting with my brother. Sable is the 'top' animal on our list then is mash of basic plains game. Shooting off sticks is different, I can see the advantage but it's another variable to work in, right now hitting 200yds fine, never been a super great shot. Normally use a bi pod when hunting out west. Hunting by the Orange river, eastern cape.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH IronRanger! Glad to have you on the posting side and looking forward to your upcoming hunt report. Wishing you an incredible time in Africa!

Hey welcome and congrats!!! You are going to have the time of your life. Give me a shout if I can help you with any of your taxidermy needs. I am a USDA certified taxidermist and work with a ton of different import brokers that can help you with the imports.

Heading out on my first Safari in three weeks, so the excitement is starting to build. Working on shooting off sticks now, most of the planning done. A few questions I'm sure will still pop up. Really happy with the amount of info in the forums.

Leaving July 17th through ALT, Hunting plains game in RSA, using outfitters rifle, will be 2X1 spot n stock hunt over 10 days.

Seams two of the most gray areas are the whole taxidermy/shipping areas, and tipping. Any advice would be helpful.
Enjoy the adventure

Good day @IronRanger. Good luck for your trip, Im sure its going to be awesome. What are you planning on hunting Sir?

Welcome welcome welcome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!