I have a mature bull buffalo question...

Here’s a bull I wish I had found away from the water hole!
Image1665957383.628690.jpg

@Tundra Tiger
Amen brother!

My ideal, at least for a first, is a proper old bull with two well worn horns. Worn way-down is just fine. Some downward sweep "tips below the boss" as Kevin mentioned (edit: and WAB just posted), would be icing on the cake.

We all have different desires and views on what constitutes a trophy.

In the past 15-20 years the definition of trophy buff has gone from widest horns possible to an old bull with polished down horns. This is good because it allows prime of life bulls to procreate instead of being shot before passing on their genes. Many people who have already shot buff would prefer a 35" old worn down buff over a 45" buff with sharp tips, hair between the boss and soft frontal boss that hasn't fully developed. Dr Kevin Robertson @doctari505 has been instrumental in moving the hunting community to change to this new trophy definition.

The following types of buff are great trophies in my mind. They are what I am looking for even though I will probably never come close. Hope you @Tundra Tiger get the buff of your dreams when you get the chance.

I have never shot a scrumcap. To me this bull shot by @Jfet is one of the better trophies on AH.

1665955505307.png

or,

I wouldn't pass on this 49" buff shot by @Mike70560

1665955807299.png

or

I wouldn't pass on this not super wide but 19" boss (if memory serves me right) shot by @jeffpg

1665956240611.png

I’m not interested in a buffalo that doesn’t have both horns. A broken couple inches is just fine, but I’d pass on a scrum cap bull unless it’s a significantly reduced price.
I'd pay extra on a 16 y/o scrum cap (not in RSA). ;)

To the OP, I guess you never have to pay extra for a prime cut of beef or Kobe/Wagyu as once they are cooked well done, taste is the same as a rump steak. :ROFLMAO:

I'd pay extra on a 16 y/o scrum cap (not in RSA). ;)

To the OP, I guess you never have to pay extra for a prime cut of beef or Kobe/Wagyu as once they are cooked well done, taste is the same as a rump steak. :ROFLMAO:
There is a YouTube video of Tim Herald hunting Uganda with a group, seemed like they had their selection of scrum cap bulls.

For first one I'm looking for both horns - brooming is fine - more importantly, looking forward to the hunt and all it entails. Trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

There is a YouTube video of Tim Herald hunting Uganda with a group, seemed like they had their selection of scrum cap bulls.
Yeah, I saw that video. Will be talking to that outfitter at SCI.

One of those guys wrote an article on his “scrum cap” bull for a publication recently (maybe Game Trails?) and it wasn’t even a true scrum cap. Tim Herald did in fact get a magnificent old (true) scrum cap bull on that hunt

We all have different desires and views on what constitutes a trophy.

In the past 15-20 years the definition of trophy buff has gone from widest horns possible to an old bull with polished down horns. This is good because it allows prime of life bulls to procreate instead of being shot before passing on their genes. Many people who have already shot buff would prefer a 35" old worn down buff over a 45" buff with sharp tips, hair between the boss and soft frontal boss that hasn't fully developed. Dr Kevin Robertson @doctari505 has been instrumental in moving the hunting community to change to this new trophy definition.

The following types of buff are great trophies in my mind. They are what I am looking for even though I will probably never come close. Hope you @Tundra Tiger get the buff of your dreams when you get the chance.

I have never shot a scrumcap. To me this bull shot by @Jfet is one of the better trophies on AH.

View attachment 494749

or,

I wouldn't pass on this 49" buff shot by @Mike70560

View attachment 494752

or

I wouldn't pass on this not super wide but 19" boss (if memory serves me right) shot by @jeffpg

View attachment 494753
Now THAT'S a boss (3rd one)

My next buffalo it won’t matter if he has both horns, one horn or no horns. As long as it is old and non productive to the herd. I have 4 bulls and 1 cow now and look forward to just the hunt now. Hope to hunt a cow the next trip again. I had more excitement on the cow hunt with cows and bulls all around us. Look forward to another one.

Now THAT'S a boss (3rd one)

I love an old bull with huge bosses. This is the bull in my avatar. The appie holding it is 6’3” to give you an idea of the mass of this brute.

I love an old bull with huge bosses. This is the bull in my avatar. The appie holding it is 6’3” to give you an idea of the mass of this brute.

Image1665969213.520731.jpg

Everyone here has pointed our great ways to consider, what makes you happy, what you envision. And it's a growth thing too. I wanted a darn nice bull for the first one, wanted the "look" with curls and hard and etc. I'm not at the scrum head yet, but maybe someday. Maybe not. It's about the experience. I took mine with a bow, spot and stalk, the bad boy had chased three trackers up trees, 30 minutes before I shot him at 16 yds, with my bow. Ran 60 yds and fell over. Can't predict that, and maybe I should quit now, not sure the dream gets better. Find your dream and live with it.

My first and only is in my avatar, had a chance at a TANK of a bull. One horn was worn at the bottom of one horn. We were 20 yards from him. I thought hard about pulling the trigger, I know I would not have been as happy. After I shot mine, I wanted to go back after the worn one. At the end of the day pick what makes you happy. You will spend a good sum of money on it, don't have any regrets.

I don’t think most will be so lucky to ever have the opportunity at a truly old scrum cap bull to worry about it .

That’s said a well done Steak is just Wrong!
Shoot two, horns from one, steak from the other!

What surprises me is how many hunters don't know the difference between a young and mature bull. Surely if you are committing the funds to an undertaking as large as hunting a Cape Buffalo, an individual should take the time to educate themselves on the issue. Age over spread any day of the year.

An informative thread:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorrine83U

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!