Do you have any hunting "goals"?

Tom,

Thanks for bringing this back up. Sadly, I have not had sufficient time to comb through all the past threads. Those that I have seen have been awesome! It's great being among like minded individuals! Good to meet you in Vegas. I wish you all the luck in the World reaching your goals!

Jacques,

Why don't you consider coming to Colorado this year for an archery elk hunt? I would like a few Africans to round out my international group. We'll be hunting September 15th through the 23rd. You are welcome to join us!

I posted my immediate goals in the Africa Bowhunting Forum. I guess I'll save the time and cut and paste everything over here. My goals include:

1) Completion of the North American Super Slam as Chuck Adams did back in 1992. Then, the Super Slam included 27 North American big game species. Today, it includes 29. To date, I'm 17 animal species into it. This will be a mission I take to my grave. I may or may not collect all 29 members, but I would like to at least say I was there for the hunt. For that matter, I would be happy with just a quality photograph of all species within their natural habitat. In 2003, I had a reality check while investigating a stone sheep hunt. Wow, who can afford $25,000 when he has two children, both of whom need college educations (certainly not me)? My dream of collecting all 27 North American big game animals will have to wait, or at least take second priority to my children. I still pick up pennies while crossing parking lots. I sort of feel every penny counts!

2) I would like to shoot a a "good representation" of the species deer in all fifty US states. I'm currently 16 of 22. I did shoot a desert mule deer in New Mexico (would have been 17), but feral hogs found it before I did. There was nothing left but hair and a few bones.

3) As an archer, I would like to complete SCI's World hunting Award. If you are unfamiliar with this program, do look into it. It is a great way to challenge yourself (you compete only against yourself), see the world, meet new friends, and enjoy the wonderful privilege of hunting. It is also a great way to give back as a conservationist.

I assess my goals daily, weekly, monthly, and annually. By do so, I find that I continue to hone those skills necessary to achieve said goals. I know exactly where I want to be rather than wondering aimlessly without rhyme or reason.

Jaco, BRILLIANT! Do re-read the above. I was like you years ago!

iamyourhuckleberry, thanks! I just keep on hunting man! It makes me feel alive, as to what I hunt I truly don't care! I just enjoy the thrill of the chase. Would not go as far as to call it wandering around aimlessly though, never been big on medals and things for myself..... just the absolute thrill and exhiliration of doing what I love and to top it all doing it for a living.

I hope it never passes, you should recapture the old spark it will create a raging brush fire in your heart!

My best always.

I just keep on hunting man! It makes me feel alive, as to what I hunt I truly don't care! I just enjoy the thrill of the chase.

Me too...me too, as long as the chase and hunt are both legal.

Would not go as far as to call it wandering around aimlessly though, never been big on medals and things for myself.....

Let me say this, participation in SCI's World HUnting Award Program isn't all about achieving things for yourself. It's about giving back rather than merely "taking". It's about conservation. It's about perserving a hunting heritage not only for yourself, but also for your children's children and your neighbor's children's children. It takes money, hard work, and a constant vigil because, it seems, there are anti-hunters around every corner willing to "take" this great privilege away from us any way they can! The medals and honors (a lot of times given posthumanously) are given by those who appreciate an individual's undaunting efforts to safeguard our hunting traditions. These medals and honors are in no way meaningless. They are in fact the very thing that made the men like Teddy Roosevelt, Fredrick Selous, etc. These men took the time to care-they took the time to give-that's what seperated them from the masses. They made a difference. We should all aspire to be like them!

I hope you don't mind me bringing back up what you stated earlier:

"My goals are strated by dreams, as a young boy my dream was to walk in the footsteps of African greats like Taylor, Selous as well as more modern heroes to me like Richard Harland and Thompson, and although I have hunted most of the countries in Southern Africa and the big 5 many times over all be it with clients, I will most probably never reach my goals......."

My friend, take the time to care. Take the time to make a difference. I have faith...you'll reach your goals!

As for me, that raging brush fire is more like a World on fire. I am doing my best to control where I burn...

Good hunting...

Me too...me too, as long as the chase and hunt are both legal.

Let me say this, participation in SCI's World HUnting Award Program isn't all about achieving things for yourself. It's about giving back rather than merely "taking". It's about conservation. It's about perserving a hunting heritage not only for yourself, but also for your children's children and your neighbor's children's children. It takes money, hard work, and a constant vigil because, it seems, there are anti-hunters around every corner willing to "take" this great privilege away from us any way they can! The medals and honors (a lot of times given posthumanously) are given by those who appreciate an individual's undaunting efforts to safeguard our hunting traditions. These medals and honors are in no way meaningless. They are in fact the very thing that made the men like Teddy Roosevelt, Fredrick Selous, etc. These men took the time to care-they took the time to give-that's what seperated them from the masses. They made a difference. We should all aspire to be like them!

I hope you don't mind me bringing back up what you stated earlier:

"My goals are strated by dreams, as a young boy my dream was to walk in the footsteps of African greats like Taylor, Selous as well as more modern heroes to me like Richard Harland and Thompson, and although I have hunted most of the countries in Southern Africa and the big 5 many times over all be it with clients, I will most probably never reach my goals......."

My friend, take the time to care. Take the time to make a difference. I have faith...you'll reach your goals!

As for me, that raging brush fire is more like a World on fire. I am doing my best to control where I burn...

Good hunting...

Leagality is a given its part of being a conservation minded hunter... period. By not reaching my goals, I mean that I am a full on hunter, thereby meaning that no list of trophies or accolade (sp.) makes me feel special, I live to hunt and in the real meaning of it, I hunt to live, I truly believe that I have made a difference to every clients life that has ever hunted with me, by providing them with a consumate and completley fullfilling hunting experience, (not just a kill or a trophy on a wall with a set amount of inches).

Accolades could mean less to me, while I understand very well that not every one shares my view, I believe that mine could be very easily misunderstood.. Wrong no.

I am also continually involved in conservation efforts {member of rhino owners association (personally)}, actively part of the African wild dog research project(personally) as well as various community upliftment projects orphanages and schools in our area (personally as well as from a company perspective),

We where also pioneers in elephant relocation to private ranches in the early 80''s (as a company) as well as being one of only a few UNESCO approved/granted biosphere sites in the whole of Southern Africa (pioneering as a company the waterberg biosphere together with Lapalala Wilderness, with special thanks to the late Heinz Heuser and Clive Walker) eventually being granted international protection by UNESCO shortly after the turn of the millenium. While I have been activly part of this over a number of years, all I and we can do is to keep the dream and all it stands for, alive.

I truly believe that these goals can never be reached, as it is a continual effort, when we as true hunters are gone, it will be up to the next generation to keep the dream alive, it is a constant battle and one that needs a dedicated fight. So seen in a long term I will.. "Probably never reach my goals..."

However rather than being a goal, I feel it is quite simply put,.. part of it.., and in the end of the day my responsibility as a true hunter.

So to rephrase medals and honors not being my goals, or for me, they might be set goals for other conservation minded hunters. I will always strive to do better be better to create better lasting memories in the hunting field, be a caring father, a loving husband, a true conservationist and ultimately a better hunter.

As soon as a feeling of achievement comes over me, I find something small another target/goal that occupies all my time as a hunter, my goals never end, they are not to be achieved in my lifetime, hopefully I as a hunter can dedicate myself to do as much ground work as possible, so that generations to follow, might achieve what I see or deem to be dreams.

Thanks for the vote of confidence it is highly appreciated, keep the dream alive.

My best always.

Jaco,

No doubt, ours is a long journey, Yes, it is an endless battle-perhaps without a well defined finish line or termination date- and certainly difficult to predict. I understand.

I also understand that one should refrain from saying "never". I remind you, men were not supposed to fly, nor were we capable of landing on the moon. Remember the old teachings-the world was supposedly flat? Great men have always jotted their ideas and ambitions down on paper. By doing so, they set goals which could be qualified, quantified, or both (essentially measurable). Those ideas became the baby steps which guided them as they set forth. Soon enough, the baby steps became leaps for mankind. Where would we be day without measurable course or steadfastness? How exactly does a person define better if better hasn't been identified or prescribed? One could say, "I feel better" but is that good enough?

If you do ever decide to write a book, may I be the first to purchase one? I would pay to read your trails and tribulations afield. From the words you have given me, I have the utmost respect; in fact, each of us should swear this oath:

I will always strive to do better, be better, to create better lasting memories in the hunting field, and be a caring father, a loving husband, a true conservationist and ultimately a better hunter.

However, I have to admit, I am perplexed. Without some way to truly measure better, then how does a person become better? Could you please explain? What's the first baby step?

In a way, I fully understand when you say, 'By not reaching my goals, I mean that I am a full on hunter, thereby meaning that no list of trophies or accolade makes me feel special, I live to hunt and in the real meaning of it, I hunt to live,". I felt the same way some twenty years ago. It seemed, at that time, the world was mine. I felt I could hunt whatever and whenever my heart desired. I have come to realize, however, that is/was not the case! There are doors which remain closed-for various reasons (I could not imagine living in the United Kingdom, for example. I would dread living in a place where hunting with a bow is prohibited). And thus, it is my goal to open those doors, not just for me but for everyone. We have at our disposal all the tool necessary to convince the masses that our efforts will work! We have success story after success story to offer as evidence. Through conservation, people, fauna, and flora can co-exist, and furthermore, flourish. As far as the "true hunters being gone"...No! They are never gone; they live in the hearts of those following generations (as you expressed). Again, Roosevelt and Selous are prime examples, and thank God a new batch of true hunters is made every year...

I do appreciate your hard work and your conservation efforts (oops, I just bestowed an honor on you-hope you do not mind. Sometimes a pat on the back reassures us that we are moving in the right direction, even if our horizons are beyond sight.). Despite the lament ("I truly believe that these goals can never be reached"), I encourage you to, as the famous Dori said in the children's film Finding Nemo, "Just keep Swimming!"

I wish to thank you for making me think and reflect...

I wish you safety and blessing in your journey

Will

p.s. As an after thought, I brought up the legality because you had mentioned John Taylor (at least I assumed you were wrtting of him). It is my understanding Pondoro's exploits with elephant were not always above water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaco,

As I was driving into work this morning, a thought occured to me. This world is a terribly small place, and the internet is making it even smaller. When our paths cross, I would like to become a better beer drinker with you (it won't take much). The night will be completely on me! I truly like when two gentlemen from different parts of the world can sit down and share thought. I'm sure Mr. Roosevelt and Mr. Selous felt the same way (not to compare the two of us to the two of them)...

Cheers.

To start off with, i am not one of those collector guys that wants to obtain the "diamond level of pygmy antelope, inner circle in the third degree" type guys.

However, i have been thinking lately of two goals that i think would be fun to obtain over several years of hunting. Mine are:

1. Hunt all the Buffalo of the world: Cape Buff in Africa, Bison in North America (free range), Muskox in Tundra, Water Buffalo in Australia, Water Buff (different subspecies) in Argentina.

2. My big 5. Boring i know but i want to achieve this goal.

I also really want a Bezoar Ibex!!!!!

The animals in my list don't have to make any record book or score any number. I just think it would be a lot of fun to travel around the world looking for my particular goal.

Do you have anything that you consider a "hunting goal"? Any particular thing you think would make great hunting memories?

Tom I just happen to see this thread and those are some good goals but I beleive that Muskox are in the Sheep family but I want to shoot one to there great eating.

That is interesting Bob. Seriously. I wasn't sure and just did a brief google search and could only find that they were of the "bovidae" family but even that is questionable as it was a wikipedia response. Hmmm. Still awesome animals though!

That is interesting Bob. Seriously. I wasn't sure and just did a brief google search and could only find that they were of the "bovidae" family but even that is questionable as it was a wikipedia response. Hmmm. Still awesome animals though!

Your right I did a google and a bing search as well and even found one site that said they were in the goat family and several others in sheep and cattle I seen it mentioned on a hunting show that they were in the sheep family thats where I got the idea but I'm beginning to think there a Prehistoric animal that was around before man and man just doesn't have a clue. in any case they are a very Unique animal and in my once 22yrs residents in Alaska I put in every year for the drawing for Muskox and Alaskan Bison and as my luck goes I never did get drawn. Good Luck on your Goals. Bob

Someone else mentioned it and that is to be able to afford to take hunts every once in awhile without impacting our current living style. I think yearly trips our important but recognize you have to save for the big ones (unless I win the lotto). All that said here are current goals:

1. Return to Africa in 2017/2018 to hunt Cape Buffalo, and collect the remaining spiral horns. Also do some varmint hunting in Africa going after caracal, civet etc. POssibly consider spending a month there.
3. Shot a big Mulie, Texas Whitetail, and an Elk.
4. Still chasing a Bobcat, and a Ringtail Cat.

I searched "Musk ox Valerius Geist" and got the facts from the man who would know best. Here is a link.

musk ox (mammal) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Africa goals are to shoot a Cape Buffalo w/ a handgun w/o any intervention (extra shots) from the PH.

Tom,

Thought I would share:

musk ox hunt, Victoria Island, NWT

If you ever do a musk hunt. I could give you insight...

6mm,

I sleep with a guy who could help you in the mule deer and elk arena. Are you an archer?

or is this just some random guy you sleep with? how often do you sleep with other men? is this a regular occurence? you may want to go visit a doctor and look into that.

:p:banghead::p

Tap,

As a matter of fact, I have done nearly everything with this guy since birth, but to answer your question. No, I have not hunted broke back mountain...the guy sleeps with my wife too. No doctor is required, everything is in perfectly normal. If you would drop your homophobia for a moment, maybe you would figure out the guy of whom I speak.

I will refrain from providing you with too much information in the future, now that I know you cannot handle it. I wouldn't want you jumping to hasty conclusions.

Clever, huckleberry, clever ! I used that line '..I sleep with a guy who..' in a seminar a few years back. Took some learned people a while to figure out I was talking about myself.

Thanks for the link! Sounds like an adventure. I really feel for you that you were bound to the camp after your success. That is a real bummer. I love your choice of equipment (both). Pm will be incoming.

Tom,

Thought I would share:

musk ox hunt, Victoria Island, NWT

If you ever do a musk hunt. I could give you insight...

6mm,

I sleep with a guy who could help you in the mule deer and elk arena. Are you an archer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.