Do you have any hunting "goals"?

Interesting posts guys! I am single, in my 20's and grew up with very little. Now I have a job with a significant income and am going to start living my dreams in the next few years. I'm sure I will never complete all or most of my adventures that I want to take but here are a few of my top ones.

1. I have a list of 5 "dream" animals; Altai argali, Lord Derby eland, leopard, Transcaspian urial and whatever the hell turns my crank at the moment. If there is no conflict in Iran before this fall I will hopefully get my chance to hunt for Transcaspian urial. I don't want to hear any "Iran is evil" banter please, the money goes to hunting, conservation and down to earth rural people.

2. Hunt 10 mountain species, be it sheep, ibex, chamois, etc. before I turn 30. I hurt my knee about a year ago so I will see how this one goes in Azerbaijan in july. This effort will include obtaining residency in the Yukon to hunt stone and dall sheep on my own for a fraction of the regular hunt price.

3. Hunt in East Africa. Ethiopia and/or Tanzania for their local rarities and species found nowhere else.

4. Hunt waterfowl on every continent.

5. Hunt somewhere for moose or caribou with the man that taught me how to work and hunt, my dad.

6. Lastly, and most importantly, enjoy seeing the world and all of its cultures, animals, and scenery.

I searched "Musk ox Valerius Geist" and got the facts from the man who would know best. Here is a link.

musk ox (mammal) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

Thanks Diamonhitch thats about the same thing I found, but like tom said I still want to shoot one. But I never did mention my goals and they are simple ones it's not any particular type of animal I want to shoot, My Goal is to just keep hunting with friends and Family old and new until I'm no longer able to do so. :)

Interesting posts guys! I am single, in my 20's and grew up with very little. Now I have a job with a significant income and am going to start living my dreams in the next few years. I'm sure I will never complete all or most of my adventures that I want to take but here are a few of my top ones.

1. I have a list of 5 "dream" animals; Altai argali, Lord Derby eland, leopard, Transcaspian urial and whatever the hell turns my crank at the moment. If there is no conflict in Iran before this fall I will hopefully get my chance to hunt for Transcaspian urial. I don't want to hear any "Iran is evil" banter please, the money goes to hunting, conservation and down to earth rural people.

2. Hunt 10 mountain species, be it sheep, ibex, chamois, etc. before I turn 30. I hurt my knee about a year ago so I will see how this one goes in Azerbaijan in july. This effort will include obtaining residency in the Yukon to hunt stone and dall sheep on my own for a fraction of the regular hunt price.

3. Hunt in East Africa. Ethiopia and/or Tanzania for their local rarities and species found nowhere else.

4. Hunt waterfowl on every continent.

5. Hunt somewhere for moose or caribou with the man that taught me how to work and hunt, my dad.

6. Lastly, and most importantly, enjoy seeing the world and all of its cultures, animals, and scenery.

Bwanawannabe those are some damn good goals hope you can do them. Enjoy the World.

Thanks Bob. I'm going to try my best to do as many as I can. As long as I stay healthy and money does not become an issue. I think the muskox hunt would be quite an adventure, not to mention they taste great. There are "warm weather" hunts for them during the summer months up in Greenland. They can be combined with reindeer during the fall for a really unique north american hunt for "european species". I believe they take place from boats along the coast, much like black bear hunting in coastal Alaska and British Columbia. The price:adventure ratio is pretty good too if you ask me.

I would love to hunt Muskox with a bow in Greenland if I had the money for it.
We have Muskox her in Norway, but sadly instead of opening for a bit of hunting on them, they just shoot the "problem" animals that stray away from their herds.
Bow hunting is not legal her either atm, but it looks like it will become legal in a few years from now:)

All good goals guys! Make them Happen!

Since I am very young I do not as of yet have the financial means to pursue any of these goals, but I look forward to hopefully my 20's to accomplish them.

1. Hunt in Africa and take a Blue Wildebeest, Greater Kudu, Bontebok, Warthog, Gemsbok, Sable Antelope, Leopard, and Derby Eland. It will almost certainly take more than one trip, but I would like to take the first 6 listed on my first trip.

2. Travel across North America to take a Rocky Mountain Elk, Saskatchewan Whitetail Deer, Bison, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Alaskan Moose, Barren Ground Caribou, Axis Deer, and Blackbuck.

3. Hunt Red Stag in New Zealand

Having been to Africa twice I have Africa in my blood! Having been sick twice & my pocket book hit extremly hard my goals have changed a little. At present I'm doing a little hunting in the states as I can afford it. A Mule Deer, Antelope, and a Caribou would do me well. I would love to hunt Leopard, Lion, and Sable but doubt if that will ever happen. Dreams are what help you through rough times. The one true goal I want to accomplish is to take my grand children to Africa. To show them what great hunting is all about, and to respect how well we have life in this country. To see poverty & to learn to be good hunters and to respect and care for all people & wildlife. To appreciate what you have and to learn & see that it can all change at the snap of a finger. I pray things will turn around and that goal will be obtainable. I do believe it will!
That would truly mean more to me and accomplish a bigger goal than my personal wants & needs. The youth are our future we need to pass it on!

I am a rookie bow hunter. I don't have too many goals right now except to get my first buck.
We are going to S. Dakota in October, and I hope to get a nice mule deer buck. I am not worried about getting any trophies, just nice animals.

I've always had the goal of having a fun and successful hunt. Living in Montana and being retired, I can go for a walk in the woods any time that I want to, so my goal when hunting is to kill the animal that I am pursuing. Since I became a Geezer and I no longer have my own horses to pack my critters out, I also have a sub-goal of not killing an animal in a place that would kill me trying to get him out.

I grew up in Colorado and started hunting back when it wasn't too difficult to get a tag for most species of big game animals. My first big game animal was a spike Mule deer, then I shot a 4 point Muley, then a 30" Nontypical Muley, then I shot an Elk, and a Pronghorn, and a Black bear. And I discovered how fun it was to hunt different species. I then established a goal for myself of hunting as many different species of animals that I could. After I moved to Montana, I was able to add hunts for Whitetail deer, Moose, Mountain goats, and Bighorn sheep.

As I became more financially comfortable in life, I was able to add hunts in Canada, Alaska, and then Africa. Hunting Africa has basically spoiled me for hunting anywhere else. On my first hunt in South Africa, I killed 7 different species of big game animals in 10 days. It had taken me 15 years to kill 7 different species of big game animals while hunting in Colorado and Montana, and with the difficulty in drawing tags, I may never hunt some of those species again.

But with the greatest variety of big game species to be found anywhere in the world, a hunter in Africa is only limited by their checkbook. So after my first African hunt I made another goal for myself of hunting different species of animals on future African hunts. After 3 African hunts, I have pretty much stuck to that goal and in doing so I have enjoyed seeing and hunting in more of Africa including Zimbabwe and from the Limpopo to the southern cape of South Africa.

I am retruning to South Africa this July with my main goal of hunting Sable antelope, a big tusked Warthog (which has eluded me on my previous 3 hunts), a Caracal, and whatever small antelope we can find that I haven't hunted before.

For many years I have also had a goal of killing a big tom Mountain Lion. I have bought a tag most years in the hopes of seeing a lion while hunting deer or elk. This has only resulted in donations to the Game Department. I think its about time to book a hunt with a good lion guide and fulfill that goal.

After this year's hunt in South Africa, I think my next big trip will be to New Zealand to hunt Red Deer, Tahr, Chamois, and Fallow deer. Hopefully in a couple of years.

A year ago, my girlfriend and I were exploring some back roads in Hawaii and we saw a great Mouflan ram. Unfortunately he was in an area where he could not be hunted, but I would very much like to hunt one of them in a free range area.

I would also like to hunt to hunt Javalina, Coues deer, Blacktail deer, midwestern Whitetail deer, Axis deer, Quebec Caribou, Canadian Moose, Grizzly bear, the list is almost endless. I'm only limited by time and money...maybe I should start buying lotery tickets??

In the meantime, my goal is to hunt as much as I can and to keep my freezer full of delicious elk, deer, and antelope meat.

My goal - shoot straight, get a good kill shot, and be happy with what I harvest.
In other words, I have no specific goals. Probably because I am a newbie. :)

One of my dreams is to complete my first African safari with my Dad this summer. Then when/if I get married, to go with my husband with my Dad along as well.
In regard to animals, my favorites are Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, and Hyena. But I would also like to hunt an Elephant Bull someday and maybe a Lion or Cape Buffalo.

One of my dreams is to complete my first African safari with my Dad this summer. Then when/if I get married, to go with my husband with my Dad along as well.
In regard to animals, my favorites are Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, and Hyena. But I would also like to hunt an Elephant Bull someday and maybe a Lion or Cape Buffalo.

Sounds like a good plan Diana make sure you get married to a good Doctor or Lawyer. :laughing: all kidding aside you'll have a great time and then it really starts you can't get Africa out of your mind.

Haha! :biggrin2:
Thankfully I'm very frugal, so a doctor or lawyer wouldn't be necessary. ;)

I think my Goal is to return from my first Africa trip Satisfied that I was able to live My Dream,,

I think my Goal is to return from my first Africa trip Satisfied that I was able to live My Dream,,

Sounds like a very positive plan.

Great dreams and plans Diana.
I am sure you will experience them all and have a great time :)

My goal are pretty simple. I will just be happy to keep hunting. Planning another plains game hunt in Namibia in 2014. I also would like a nice six point bull elk. I have shot four elk but they were cows and small bulls. I must like eating them to much to pass them up. I once shot a cow out of a herd of elk that had a couple of nice bulls in it because I was hunting a new area I had chosen to go with a cow permit. I always wanted to hunt a North American big horned sheep but it is to hard to pass up Africa when it is alot cheaper and you can hunt more animals. So what if I don't hunt sheep or one of the African big five there is still alot out there to hunt. I am glad that I have been able to do what I have already done.

My hunting goals are pretty simple.

1. I want to hunt Africa with my two sons and my wife, propably plains game somewhere absolutely gorgeous with a great guide
2. I want to hunt for a record or close to it cape bufallo in Tanzania up close and personal with a great outfiitter
3 Finally I want to go brown bear hunting on Kodiak Island with Scott Mileu and bring down an 11 footer up close and personal for a full mount

now this is one of them posts like "whats your favorite calibre "and should almost a compulsory question to all members as we are all here for this very reason bascically
and like every hunter i have many animals on the "list"
but as long as im happy hunting and at peace with my self trying to match wits with a more than worthy adversory on its home territory this list will always grow and change as with everyone.
1 elephant with a bow
2 leopard with bow these are just dreams because i cant bring either into australia and couldnt live anywhere else on a permanent bassis
3bongo
4 markhor goat
5which will happen in the 5 year plan is marco polo ram and ibex hunt
after that the animals change on a regular bassis and that my friends is one long list
great thread .
in the end it comes down to enjoying the chase in exotic places hunting with great like minded people whether thats friends,family or people you are meeting and making friends with anywhere on this planet
hunting in a fair manner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross