Copyright

Tam Dl

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Rifle article from 1999, on a Professionals Rifle. I would post it here if there was no concern. I have seen some old and great articles posted elsewhere on forums.

As per my experience, if you mention the source of article and author there should be no problem. (If I remember correctly I asked moderators some time ago to confirm before I posted some articles from other sources)

Looking forward to read it!

As per my experience, if you mention the source of article and author there should be no problem. (If I remember correctly I asked moderators some time ago to confirm before I posted some articles from other sources)

Looking forward to read it!
Sorry to bust the myth ;) - but in the eyes of the law, merely citing the source of material that is protected by copyright does not provide a right to reproduce the work, or a substantial part of it, without infringing.(y)

I didnt go that deep.
Not being a lawyer, and especially not being an expert in Anglo-Saxon law, I am not sure does this apply for literature and magazines, which are frequently quoted here.

I follow some other blogs on internet, and it is not uncommon that they post a photo from some other online source, and they always quote details in full of their sources, so this never seamed to be a problem.

Newspapers reporting news from other newspapers, quoting the source is also not uncommon.

Sorry to bust the myth ;) - but in the eyes of the law, merely citing the source of material that is protected by copyright does not provide a right to reproduce the work, or a substantial part of it, without infringing.(y)
I guess my PhD thesis should get me a life sentence in prison. Authors who publish expect their work to be disseminated. Any individual profiting from disseminating another's intellectual property is expected to share the profits with the owner. Citing a published author in an unpublished work is not an infringement. It wasn't when I went to grad school anyway.

I guess my PhD thesis should get me a life sentence in prison.
When I went on college, there was one day scandal at university!

This was typing machine era. Before the dawn of computer and internet age.
Early 90-ies.

Then, it was costumery (not me) that to make a final thesis before getting a degree, student would go to university library, he would take the same thesis of one of the students from earlier generation, then he would make a simple copy paste transcript, by typing machine, and, voila!. the thesis was done!
Piece of cake - easy peasy!

So one day, by pure accident, three graduation students came, with same thesis, same title, transcripted to the last letter, in the same hour infront of the board.
That was so obvious to the board, so they had to fail.
:)
(they were given second chance though, with formal warning)

Fast forward (to many years fast forward) till now.
My son is at college now.
No way this could happen again.
Now, students submit all of their works, and the works are screened by some software, and any plagiarism is immediately identified. Then the work is not accepted by board.

Intermediate years between my time and my sons time.
Some high profile politicians made plagiarisms, on their PHD or in their degree thesis.

Basically many of them managed to get some university or college degree by transcription of other peoples work (or even PHD). They were at the time of their very late life studies already busy politicians, so they had to manage without loosing too much time. They just needed a quick diploma to brag in the public

But when the this software came out, them being high profile persons, their plagiarisms were screened by software, they were tagged and many lost their degrees in a blink, followed by newspaper headline scandals.

I didnt go that deep.
Probably a good thing :ROFLMAO:

I probably shouldn't have started digging the rabbit hole either with an oversimplified summary either :E Shrug:

Like most law, there are exceptions, and often exceptions to the exceptions.

I have a Rifle article from 1999, on a Professionals Rifle. I would post it here if there was no concern. I have seen some old and great articles posted elsewhere on forums.
As long as you in good faith are posting the author and are not making a profit reproducing it or undercutting the authors profits somehow there will not be a problem.…It’s like driving 60 in a 55 with no enforcement.
Remember that anything posted on AH or any other page, becomes the property of that page….

On another forum that I am on it is required to just post a link to a article.

No copy and paste no matter how much acknowledgement you give the author.

Mostly wondering what the hosts think. Appreciate the feedback.

I wanted to share an article here on AH once, which I did. Sent the magazine an email asking if they would have any objections if I posted it here and add the source giving them credit. They had no problems with that at all.

I have written many articles for hunting and guns magazines in Spain.

Copywright Law in Europe says you must have written permision from the publisher before you share any content.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJweasel77

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.