Click BANG!!!

Maybe oil in your hands/fingers and the primers got contaminated. Also, check and see how is the indentation, maybe delayed ignition due to weak primer strike. I would fire some of those primers without powder and see how they react.
Oh the hit is hard. Those primers go off no probs. But as people have mentioned not enough heat

Oh the hit is hard. Those primers go off no probs. But as people have mentioned not enough heat
If they were going off when the firing pin hit them you'd hear a bang when the primer went off then the boom when the powder went off.

Hearing a click tells me that the primers are contaminated or not being hit hard enough, but if they are not hit hard enough then you would have rounds that aren't going off.

If they were going off when the firing pin hit them you'd hear a bang when the primer went off then the boom when the powder went off.

Hearing a click tells me that the primers are contaminated or not being hit hard enough, but if they are not hit hard enough then you would have rounds that aren't going ofI
If I load the pulled ammo with no powder just the primers they all go off. That to me would say the pin is hitting hard enough. Im with the school of thought that the primers im using are just not hot enough

If I load the pulled ammo with no powder just the primers they all go off. That to me would say the pin is hitting hard enough. Im with the school of thought that the primers im using are just not hot enough
But where the click come from that you say you heard?

I’ve had that happen with old military surplus loads. It is a very dangerous situation as the primer pop can in some instances move the bullet far enough forward to effectively cause it to start to engrave in the lands before the charge ignites and can thereby cause extremely dangerous pressure spikes. Not something I would experiment with. Fresh powder and new primers would be my course of action.

I had my very first FTF late last year. Click, no boom. Then another, then another, all from the same batch of reloads. 6.5PRC. Tried them in another rifle with the same results. Went through all the possible scenarios and eventually concluded that it was the primers. I must have sized and primed too soon after tumbling in steel pins with water and Dawn and the moisture wrecked the primers. Couldn't detonate them with a hammer.

I took the remaining rounds apart, threw away the powder and replaced the primers. No more problem.

I hope your problem is as simple. It must be hard enough to shoot a .505 without developing a flinch without having to wonder if you are actually going to hear the boom.

I had my very first FTF late last year. Click, no boom. Then another, then another, all from the same batch of reloads. 6.5PRC. Tried them in another rifle with the same results. Went through all the possible scenarios and eventually concluded that it was the primers. I must have sized and primed too soon after tumbling in steel pins with water and Dawn and the moisture wrecked the primers. Couldn't detonate them with a hammer.

I took the remaining rounds apart, threw away the powder and replaced the primers. No more problem.

I hope your problem is as simple. It must be hard enough to shoot a .505 without developing a flinch without having to wonder if you are actually going to hear the boom.

Right now where I live it's the start of what I call brass season. Temps are getting warm enough and the wind is blowing strong enough that I'll do most of my wet tumbling. Start a batch, then take it out, rinse, separate the pins and spread them on a towel in the sunshine to dry while another batch gets put in. Rinse and repeat (literally hahaha) until all my deep cleaning is done, then finish with the pins being on the towel.

Right now where I live it's the start of what I call brass season. Temps are getting warm enough and the wind is blowing strong enough that I'll do most of my wet tumbling. Start a batch, then take it out, rinse, separate the pins and spread them on a towel in the sunshine to dry while another batch gets put in. Rinse and repeat (literally hahaha) until all my deep cleaning is done, then finish with the pins being on the towel.
If only it ever got warm enough in the UK for that :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Well I have called all the suppliers I know and it seems that there are no Fed primers in the UK!! Non are due until 2028. I did just fire off all the cases I pulled and they all went off without a glitch. Got me thinking might be the powder.

Things I check if ignition is suspect-
Are primers fully seated?
Can you feel primers seat with your priming tool (crushed or loose)?
Are primer pockets correct depth and diameter (agressive primer pocket cleaning w/ reamer or deep from factory)?
Are flash holes proper diameter?
Any debris in flash hole (walnut shell or flash hole punching etc)?
If stored or carried n damp enviroment was primer and bullet sealer used?
If air space above powder, was filler used?
Any contamination of primers (oils or sizing lubes)?
Primer age and storage conditions (or unknown from a gunshow)?
Oversized cases moving when struck by firing pin?
I know most of this is basic stuff, but what I could think of.

Last edited:
Things I check if ignition is suspect-
Are primers fully seated?
Can you feel primers seat with your priming tool (crushed or loose)?
Are primer pockets correct depth and diameter (agressive primer pocket cleaning w/ reamer or deep from factory)?
Are flash holes proper diameter?
Any debris in flash hole (walnut shell or flash hole punching etc)?
If stored or carried n damp enviroment was primer and bullet sealer used?
If air space above powder, was filler used?
Any contamination of primers (oils or sizing lubes)?
the brass was new never fired. I use a lyman hand primer so minimal touching of primers. The volume of powder literally fills the case

You should have good feel with the Lyman hand primer. Edited my post while you were replying to note that I was throwing everything out there.

Manny, going to be honest and say upfront that I didn't read through the rest of the thread. Is this ammo that you have reloaded personally?
Had this issue with my 500 NE two years ago. It came to the fore that it was powder that was clumping inside the case, possibly due to moisture. If it is ammo that came with the rifle, it might be from being stored too long and that the same could have happened. If you reloaded everything yourself, disregard.

It’s a delayed ignition because the primer doesn’t produce enough heat enough to ignite the entire charge all at once. So it starts a relatively slow burn until it gets to full ignition.

BTW - I’ve experienced a “delayed ignition” on a commercial boiler and the results are not as friendly as shooting a 505. :oops:

It’s a delayed ignition because the primer doesn’t produce enough heat enough to ignite the entire charge all at once. So it starts a relatively slow burn until it gets to full ignition.

BTW - I’ve experienced a “delayed ignition” on a commercial boiler and the results are not as friendly as shooting a 505. :oops:
Im going to a boiler today that's doing the same

Manny, going to be honest and say upfront that I didn't read through the rest of the thread. Is this ammo that you have reloaded personally?
Had this issue with my 500 NE two years ago. It came to the fore that it was powder that was clumping inside the case, possibly due to moisture. If it is ammo that came with the rifle, it might be from being stored too long and that the same could have happened. If you reloaded everything yourself, disregard.
Marius it's ammo I've loaded myself. I have a feeling it may be the powder as my old tub of n165 didn't have any issues.

Saying that I tried to dry the powder in my over last night. It did flow better through my fingers after about 30 mins at 45c

Exactly, and this is why I'm thinking it's the primer. Otherwise, it would be a small bang (primer detonation), followed by the bigger bang (powder ignition). Not, click, bang. :E Shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.