Black Wildebeest How Big?

traviselmore

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys, I just got home from my second safari in Africa and the more I look back one particular trophy it stands out in trophy quality and I wanted your opinions. I shot a black wildebeest that regardless of inches I am ecstatic about and since I don't take a tape measure on my hunts (as that does not make a trophy for me) I don't have any measurements of this bull. But the more I look at him the more curious I am to how big he is.

After google searching I have not found a pic of a bull that I think compares over all with him (at least from what I can judge). What are your guys thoughts? Does he seem to be a really big bull to you all? Again, I am thrilled with him regardless, but just wondering what everyone's thoughts were?
Also does any one have a pic of a bull bigger than him for comparison? Thanks.
black wildebeest.jpg
black wildebeest 22.jpg

Nice bull.... certainly is long. Thins out a bit. I shot a stud several years back in a region they are endemic to. I’ll try to locate & post. Congratulations.

Thanks Brad. Again I don't know much about them as far as judging goes. Length wise he seems very good and I was intrigued to see how he compares with other big ones. Looking forward to the pic

He’s got the length for sure.... it’s beyond “good”. The length is exceptional. He might be going downhill on mass because of age or genetics. In meantime @JKO or @hartzview could probably respond. They are/have PH’d in areas where they are naturally.

Looking back at picks.... yours is a stud for sure. Get him scored & measured. I bet he’s Gold medal

@traviselmore , Congratulations on a very nice bull. I will be pleased for any of my hunters to take a bull like yours. Unfortunately, I don't think that your bull will be challenging any of the current holders. I think that you will lose score on the bosses. The size of the bosses seems to be where a lot of the high ranking bulls excel. I can recall taking bulls with hunters that I thought were going to give the Number 1 a run for their money, only for the Bull to get into the Top 20's. Every time, had the length, lost out on the size of the bosses.
I think he will be Silver medal for sure, possibly Gold. Congratulations on a very nice animal. You can be very proud. What area is that in the back ground?

PS: Notice the size of the bosses on the bottom pic.

DSC_0999.JPG
IMG_20180514_124540.jpg
IMG_20180520_085920.jpg

DSC_0614.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
2742529E-288C-4514-ADF3-1A55F3F263AC.jpeg
Travis, you definitely exceeded mine and I am very happy getting it!

Trav, you've got a very nice trophy bull, It matters not that someone else has a slightly bigger one. Everyone that looks at my mounted trophies thinks they are huge when in reality they don't even come close to being a record.

Nice bull. I am hunting one this year

Very nice trophy.
As Marius noted, for scoring purposes, he loses some inches on the base measurements.

@traviselmore , Congratulations on a very nice bull. I will be pleased for any of my hunters to take a bull like yours. Unfortunately, I don't think that your bull will be challenging any of the current holders. I think that you will lose score on the bosses. The size of the bosses seems to be where a lot of the high ranking bulls excel. I can recall taking bulls with hunters that I thought were going to give the Number 1 a run for their money, only for the Bull to get into the Top 20's. Every time, had the length, lost out on the size of the bosses.
I think he will be Silver medal for sure, possibly Gold. Congratulations on a very nice animal. You can be very proud. What area is that in the back ground?

PS: Notice the size of the bosses on the bottom pic.

View attachment 275666 View attachment 275667 View attachment 275668

View attachment 275697

My guess on the area in the background is Huntershill. Believe he went with them in '17 as well.

You should be ecstatic! Very nice bull. I don’t know about the scoring but I think he’s a great trophy and it’s the hunt that makes the trophy. Ten years from now you’ll look at that mount on the wall and remember that day on a rocky hillside where you took him, not the inches. That’s the trophy.

Thanks for the info guys. I hunted with Huntershills in the Eastern Cape but the black wildebeest was actually taken at Comre Safaris which they own now.

As Lammie, my PH says, "That's a nice one." Be proud of that bull. He sure looks big in the pic. Just have big spot on your wall for him.

He looks nice to me and you should be very pleased to have taken him.

It´s a good one, no doubt !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdytheThow

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.