Best Taxidermy for leopards in Houston and Dallas Area?

@Manny R is in the Houston area and I think he has a leopard heading towards a taxidermist. Perhaps he’ll chime in.

I am hunting leopard in 2025, so interested in this as well. I have used David Majors (Major Creations Taxidermy) in Cypress, Tx for numerous PG and a NZ red deer. I have been extremely happy with the work and turnaround time.

The other taxidermy place in the Houston area to consider is Conroe Taxidermy.

I was at Houston safari show this year and was impressed with the leopard mounts they had at b and b taxidermy.

I'll second B&B taxidermy. Mike Baird and his team have done close to 50 African animals for me, no leopard unfortunately. I have seen at least 20 leopards he has done, fantastic work

Conroe Taxidermy is finishing up my Namibian leopard. It will have a Damara Dik Dik positioned as prey underneath. Hutch

Hello guys and I am more than happy to give my 2 cents . First let me say all my animals have arrived this Friday from Namibia. My leopard scored 43 with SCI.
They are headed to the Tannery on Monday. I use David Majors (Mayors Creations Taxidermy). He does excellent work and I have been very pleased for years with him. In my opinion he is less expensive than Conroe Taxidermy & B&B Taxidermy and it is quality of work to me that sets him apart. He touches all of the work that comes to his shop. He just doesn't hand it off to one of his employees. It is a family owned and operated business. What more can I say. You won't go wrong with B&B nor Conroe Taxidermy . They are excellent too. I like David and his work.

I did a lot of research on this topic last year and didn't reach any definitive conclusions but didn't get the cat so that's ok. My results turned up the same names here and I was seriously considering Soucy. It all depends on the mount you are looking for. I think many of the open mouth cats don't look right. I will also say...hear me on this...a young cat doesn't look right no matter what you do with it. I turned down young cats at the bait and recommend that you do the same. Your PH will probably tell you the same.

If you’re going to spend the money to hunt and kill a leopard then I would highly recommend spending the money to send it to Phil Soucy’s studio. He currently has the skin of the leopard I took last year and has done 3 cougars for me. I have a hard time trusting anyone else with cats.

Would you share photos of your Soucy cats?

Here are two of the cats. The other is at my folks’ house and I unfortunately don’t have any photos of it on my phone.

IMG_2731.jpeg

IMG_9489.jpeg

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

Last edited:
I was just in Tri-State the other day getting some pricing. Ben does amazing work and had a cat in there that was gorgeous. I didn't spend much time scoping it out in detail since that wasn't one of the animals I have coming in.

B&B does great work. I looked at their leopards pretty close last year before my Zim Hunt. Like @Green Chile I was unsuccessful but was leaning towards them on the leopard if I was successful. Now I have plenty of additional time to mull this same decision over myself.

I have a leopard hunt planned for this July and looking for a taxidermist that goods really good leopard mounts. I would appreciate the help.
Not in Texas, but would highly recommend looking into Kanati Taxidermy. They are in Pennsylvania though. They are unbelievable on Leopard.

All the best with your hunt!

I have a leopard hunt planned for this July and looking for a taxidermist that goods really good leopard mounts. I would appreciate the help.
"HF",

My response suggesting a taxidermist in Montana admittedly falls outside the parameters of your thread's subject line, so a little latitude is respectfully requested . . .

In my opinion, and it's just that . . . I'm not trying to impose it on anyone, but offer it up as something to consider . . .

If there is a single animal that justifies resisting any sense of frugality about taxidermy cost, or other logistics, proximity to one's home base, etc., it is a leopard.

MANY that have hunted in Africa have not and will never collect a leopard.
It is not uncommon that several hunts are required before a leopard is bagged.
Being a CITES Appendix II animal, export/import is highly regulated, and indeed prohibited by some countries. Even in those countries that allow import (like the USA), the process is subject to approval on a case-by-case basis, and how much longer this will be possible is uncertain.
And not to mention . . a leopard hunt is typically a fairly expensive undertaking.
As said, many hunters would like to have collected a leopard, but far fewer have done so, and in many of those cases they will stop at ONE leopard.
So if you're like most, you'll have one chance to get it mounted right!

Having said all the above . . . if you are successful . . . choose carefully and select the very best leopard taxidermist you can find (regardless of cost or location). You're doing well by consulting the forum and getting an early start in identifying a short list of ones whose work you like. Keep in mind, leopard are possibly the hardest animal to mount well. Deer, pronghorn, impala, kudu? ?. . . most any competent taxidermist can do an acceptable job . . . but leopard?! . . . I'd want to find the best I can find.

I bagged my second in November 2016, and at the SCI convention of 2017 (where most, if not all of the best taxidermists in the world exhibit) I spoke in detail with each of them. My father was a taxidermist, and I grew up working in the family business so I'm more familiar than most with good vs mediocre taxidermy. I went back and forth over all four days narrowing it down to a few quite renowned taxidermists . . . and I concluded the best leopard taxidermist in the universe is Phillip Soucy in Libby, MT. Once my shipment arrived, I drove it up to Phil myself and we discussed the pose. I learned that he does not use commercial forms and every leopard is mounted using a custom made form specific to your leopard, and your desired pose. I've seen lot's of lousy leopard mounts . . in fact many more lousy than those that are "acceptable". The thing to remember is you'll look at it for the rest of your life and every time you look at it, you'll feel a sense of pride and the majesty and power of the animal, OR . . . well you know. From my own experience, you should state your ideas about the pose you are favoring but be very willing to balance your thinking with the expert's advice. I've seen some mounts that were just awful, and I suspect the taxidermist's advice if it was offered, was rejected.

Here is my cat on display at the SCI convention in Las Vegas in 2018.
There was usually a crowd around it, I think it got more attention than those ladies in high heels and zebra striped pants selling raffle tickets! :p ;)

My Leopard at SCI.jpg

And if you think the mount has a "less than athletic" belly, here is a trail cam photo from a few days before my hunt started . . . :oops:

IMG_2352.JPG

@Huntforever - I’ve seen several Leopards mounted by Kanati in PA that were outstanding and I’m very critical of taxidermy work - especially “Cats”. Kanati has mounted a Bobcat and two Lynx for me and one large Cougar for a friend —- all four were well done. Considering a Leopard might be a very special trophy I think you are smart to be researching where to get it mounted. While Texas may have as good or better taxidermists - I would Not restrict my search to one State —- it’s too important of a mount and a little extra travel or expense might be worth it.

"HF",

My response suggesting a taxidermist in Montana admittedly falls outside the parameters of your thread's subject line, so a little latitude is respectfully requested . . .

In my opinion, and it's just that . . . I'm not trying to impose it on anyone, but offer it up as something to consider . . .

If there is a single animal that justifies resisting any sense of frugality about taxidermy cost, or other logistics, proximity to one's home base, etc., it is a leopard.

MANY that have hunted in Africa have not and will never collect a leopard.
It is not uncommon that several hunts are required before a leopard is bagged.
Being a CITES Appendix II animal, export/import is highly regulated, and indeed prohibited by some countries. Even in those countries that allow import (like the USA), the process is subject to approval on a case-by-case basis, and how much longer this will be possible is uncertain.
And not to mention . . a leopard hunt is typically a fairly expensive undertaking.
As said, many hunters would like to have collected a leopard, but far fewer have done so, and in many of those cases they will stop at ONE leopard.
So if you're like most, you'll have one chance to get it mounted right!

Having said all the above . . . if you are successful . . . choose carefully and select the very best leopard taxidermist you can find (regardless of cost or location). You're doing well by consulting the forum and getting an early start in identifying a short list of ones whose work you like. Keep in mind, leopard are possibly the hardest animal to mount well. Deer, pronghorn, impala, kudu? ?. . . most any competent taxidermist can do an acceptable job . . . but leopard?! . . . I'd want to find the best I can find.

I bagged my second in November 2016, and at the SCI convention of 2017 (where most, if not all of the best taxidermists in the world exhibit) I spoke in detail with each of them. My father was a taxidermist, and I grew up working in the family business so I'm more familiar than most with good vs mediocre taxidermy. I went back and forth over all four days narrowing it down to a few quite renowned taxidermists . . . and I concluded the best leopard taxidermist in the universe is Phillip Soucy in Libby, MT. Once my shipment arrived, I drove it up to Phil myself and we discussed the pose. I learned that he does not use commercial forms and every leopard is mounted using a custom made form specific to your leopard, and your desired pose. I've seen lot's of lousy leopard mounts . . in fact many more lousy than those that are "acceptable". The thing to remember is you'll look at it for the rest of your life and every time you look at it, you'll feel a sense of pride and the majesty and power of the animal, OR . . . well you know. From my own experience, you should state your ideas about the pose you are favoring but be very willing to balance your thinking with the expert's advice. I've seen some mounts that were just awful, and I suspect the taxidermist's advice if it was offered, was rejected.

Here is my cat on display at the SCI convention in Las Vegas in 2018.
There was usually a crowd around it, I think it got more attention than those ladies in high heels and zebra striped pants selling raffle tickets! :p ;)

View attachment 602298

And if you think the mount has a "less than athletic" belly, here is a trail cam photo from a few days before my hunt started . . . :oops:

View attachment 602301
@Anbessa Gedai - Outstanding Leopard & Mount. I agree with everything you wrote about researching the best Leopard Taxidermist you can find and sparing no expense or effort to get the work done. Mounting “Cats” seems difficult for most taxidermists —- yours looks how it should “Life like and GREAT”

Here are two of the cats. The other is at my folks’ house and I unfortunately don’t have any photos of it on my phone.

View attachment 602218
View attachment 602219
View attachment 602221

View attachment 602222
These are 2 proper examples of cats...open and close mouthed. Also, the first one I've seen with a wolverine incorporated. Well done.

Cats are long and flexible and I think the pose should emphasize that. Cats should look like water being poured down a rock...flowing movement. I dislike most open mouth poses BUT this one is proper...ears are flattened but curved at the same time like a cat does...there is tension in the cat without looking like the Joker. You don't find this quality most of the time. The eyes of a predator are vastly different in how they are set and forward facing, not bulging like deer, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88linktai

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross