AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
Does anyone ever hunt the Banded mongoose ? Are they protected, do you need a permit? They would make a unique addition to the trophy room.

Hi jeff,
Interesting question. It may depend on location? Not sure.
I'm pretty sure they are not protected and are huntable in the Limpopo Province of SA if the landowner and outfitter will allow it.
When I was there a couple months ago we saw banded mongoose, dwarf mongoose, white tailed mongoose and water mongoose.
The white tailed mongoose and water mongoose are significantly larger than banded mongoose. Pretty dang cool critters!
I am pretty sure white tailed mongoose and water mongoose are shootable and not protected. Dwarf mongoose may be protected?
Hopefully one of our PH's can chime in and answer your question with a better informed answer than mine :)
Hope life is treating you well up there in Salmon! Best of luck and happy hunting this fall (y)

Not sure about banded mongoose, but I am sure you could get as many Asian mongosse as you want in Hawaii.

Idaram, thanks I didn't know there were so many different kinds of mongoose, I've only seen two kinds that I am aware of.

Any input from outfitters?

If there are more than one is it a gaggle of mongeese? Lol
They are pretty cool! One mounted killing a snake would be an awesome mount

If there are more than one is it a gaggle of mongeese? Lol
They are pretty cool! One mounted killing a snake would be an awesome mount

I like the idea of one killing a snake!

Richard Holmes had them on a trophy price list.

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 8.11.13 PM.png

Thanks Brickburn.

On Far East cruises, many sailors returned from liberty with fighting mongoose and cobra mounts. I do not believe many of them got past U S Customs when we returned to the States.

Fish eagles do for sure...haha. We saw one get taken the other day near a water hole.

I only see the Yellow Mongoose and to a lesser extent the Grey Mongoose over here in the Eastern Cape.
I have hunted the White Tailed Mongoose up in Kwa Zulu Natal. They are massive.

Some pics...

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Yellow Mongoose.JPG
I have a yellow mongoose that I took in May 2017 on the way back to me---Soon I hope. I saw lots of them but they were always running fast. One day I was shooting monkeys and baboons when one stopped. I shot it with a 22RF. Once I got to see it up close I kind of wished I had not shot it. That does no happen with me but did this time. It has small flattened ears and is "cute" with a big fluffy tail. I will have a full mount done for it. It will look good I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioXwh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg