Anyone ever filmed their safari?

aminkus

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI
Hunted
plains game and dangerous game
I am hoping to do a dangerous game hunt in the very near future. I am booking my first elephant hunt and i was curious if anyone has ever filmed thier hunts? If so please any guidance would be greatly apricated.

Who have you used to film the hunt?
How much was it?
Was the camera a distraction to the hunt?

All help and guidance is great!
thanks
Aaron

I used HP ( Hannes Pienaar)productions. Great dealing with them, swift and direct answers. I thought the daily rate was at that time 400 dollars all inclusive per day. Minus accommodations and flights/car if needed.

Camera man on my hunt was his son JP. Did not notice him during my hunts , a a fun guy to be around also at the campfire.

I would be hunting in Zim or Botswana most likely? Thanks for the lead

He is situated in South Africa so that is quite close.. You can find his work on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube. Also you can look on his website hannespienaarproductions.com

250/day plus editing fees is what I’m paying. Much cheaper than taxidermy if you are past that point in your hunting career.

I did an on land hippo hunt with Bayly/Sipple Safaris last year and they had a camera man in camp that filmed my hunt. I think the video is actually posted here on the site somewhere. I paid $220 a day if I remember correctly. It was very well done in my opinion and I’ve enjoyed going back and watching it. It really captured the intensity of the hunt. I believe it is a real good option to add to a hunt.

Igala productions...... Great folks, fair pricing. Camera person is not a distraction, very professional folks and enjoyable to share a camp with. Give Puren a call, you won't be disappointed.

Yes, I had my 2021 Safari filmed. African Safari Films, Morgan Harris. They did a great job. I never really new the camera was there filming until after the shot and when we recovered animal. They did an awesome job with editing. It can be seen on Youtube. Search under Bos en Dal Safaris, it is 1 hr and 30 min film.

This years safari will be filmed also, but in house this time as Bos en Dal has there own cameraman now.

As others have stated there are plenty of options. I think the one thing you have to decide is whether X you willing to make a snapshot at an animal you really want vs getting it on video? There are times when the delay and getting the camera rolling and on target can cause missed opportunities.

I am hoping to do a dangerous game hunt in the very near future. I am booking my first elephant hunt and i was curious if anyone has ever filmed thier hunts? If so please any guidance would be greatly apricated.

How much was it?

thanks
Aaron
I've filmed many hunts. It can be quite expensive. I would say it ranges from $300-500/day. You will want to ask very early on if your outfitter will charge you a daily rate for your videographer. I have always allowed the outfitter to use my footage in exchange for free daily rates for the videographer. The exception was Tanzania where I had to pay a daily rate for him.
I do not feel the camera is a distraction and if it is the camera guy/lady is not doing their job. I've made some dear friends filming these hunts and I regret the ones I've not filmed.
I always ask for but do not always get the full film plus a highlights reel plus some shorts for social media. Also ask about drone footage. This is something to think about.
If you want to film your hunt you will most likely need to book them a year or more in advance.

My PH put a 31-min video of my buffalo hunt.
I should have mentioned that the video of my buffalo hunt was entirely on an iPhone and put together later with some video editing to clean things up and add some background music. May not be "professional" but it came out pretty darn good; plus it was a big surprise when I heard that it was made and being shown at his SCI booth.

How much was it?

thanks
Aaron
I filmed my hunt in 2017 it was a lioness hunt and plains game. I can't remember the guy but I'm glad I did it.

We filmed our '22 trip. 2 buff bulls and a handful of PG. Well worth the expense

My PH filmed my Nyala shot using his phone. Then he used my Go-Pro for the Buffalo, and later on another PH used my Go-Pro again for a Lioness hunt. Bad thing about the Go-Pro is no zoom, otherwise it was good.

Safari Classics charges 350 a day plus 1500 production cost. If you give them the rights to the footage they drop the daily rate to 250. I was in the same camp as Dr. Ehrling last March in Uganda. His film guy was Andy MacDonald, he’s absolutely top notch. Dr. Ehrling’s hunt is now out on MyOutdoorTV. If you watch this, watch to the end for the Buffalo charge. The guide knocked down was my guide the previous 6 days before this happened.

Safari Classics charges 350 a day plus 1500 production cost. If you give them the rights to the footage they drop the daily rate to 250. I was in the same camp as Dr. Ehrling last March in Uganda. His film guy was Andy MacDonald, he’s absolutely top notch. Dr. Ehrling’s hunt is now out on MyOutdoorTV. If you watch this, watch to the end for the Buffalo charge. The guide knocked down was my guide the previous 6 days before this happened.
Did andy film your hunt? because i have heard that he is the best guy and the one that my PH prefers to work with.

Did andy film your hunt? because i have heard that he is the best guy and the one that my PH prefers to work with.
No, I have never had any of my hunts filmed. Andy MacDonald was in the same camp as I was last year in Cameroon. Marcus Ehrling was the hunter that Andy was in camp to film. Look on My Outdoor TV, Season 19, Episode 1, 'Dr Ehrling I Presume', it is the hunt Andy was in camp last March to film. I can say this, you'll never have a better guy in camp than Andy MacDonald, he was very entertaining, at night he would share videos on his phone from past hunts that were simply amazing. Andy filmed a huge amount of Tracks Across Africa hunts sponsored by the DSC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaGaby

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.