African Huntin Boots

For me, the type of terrain is going to dictate my boot.
On a plains game safari where the terrain was most sandy soil and softer dirt, I wore Merrell mid hikers. They are pretty popular here in the US as an all around hiking boot with a fairly soft sole.

For my hunt last August I was after Buffalo on rocky, mountainous terrain. I wanted much more ankle support for walking many miles in rocky and uneven terrain. For this hunt I wore my Kenetrek uninsulated hikers. They were perfect for this type of country.

I personally found the Courteney boots to be overrated. On a Brannock device, I am an 11.5D on the nose, maybe a smidge on the higher side of a D width. Pretty average foot, finding shoes that fit is never an issue for me. A 10.5UK D width Courteney Selous is still a very wide boot, the last is still an E+/EE width be most boot standards. I don't know if everyone in Zimbabwe has Flintstone feet or what, but if I decide to try another pair of this style I will have James Leddy make some that are a normal US D width. At the end of the day, it was a $400 boot that was too wide, very heavy, and needed a $50 insole to have decent support (for my very average arches...not high, not low). I liked the comfort and toughness once I found the right insole, the style is subjective but I didn't find them particularly attractive. I do like the Safari model some friends have, I wish I had gotten them instead.

I also tried the Jim Green Rangers, I liked them much more and they were maybe $120. I don't think they'd last as long by any means, but they're rebuildable and I can afford to replace boots when I trash them.

I wore 5.10 Guide Tennies all over Northern/Central Africa and the Middle East, with short brush gaiters they were extremely quiet and comfortable. Unfortunately they were discontinued in that form and the new ones aren't nearly the same since Adidas bought 5.10. If I were going back on a hunt tomorrow I'd probably wear Blundstones, they check all the blocks for me.

I wanted to really like the lems boulder grip boot but after the, sending me 3 different pairs with he toe box being messed up in each one it have up. Ordered a pair of Courtney’s selous from Jim at African Creations. He sent me two pairs with different insoles to get a perfect fit. Very happy with them. I’ve put about 30 miles on them now hiking and wear them to town for dinner also. The Ariat lookout is a nice boot also but not sure how they will hold up long term

I've used nothing but Merrill Moabs and tag gaiters for several years.They are just really comfortable and fit me perfect.I'm sure there are other great boots I could use but if it's not broke don't fix it.

So far, I'm a little mixed, but I haven't worn them much. Just while doing some yardwork and this morning I wore them on a short turkey hunt where I didn't have to walk very far from my ebike.

The heel rubs a little different, which is my only complaint. Maybe I'm not tying them tight enough up top? It's not rubbing blisters (yet), but I really haven't put enough miles on them yet. I'll keep wearing them in and see if they become one of my go-to boots
How do their sizes run ?? I have been wearing a 10 wide Merrill

How do their sizes run ?? I have been wearing a 10 wide Merrill
Mine were true to size. I normally wear a 9.5 and ordered that size. They fit just fine as far as size.

As someone with flat feet who has spent many dollars on footwear I have to say that Courteney gets my vote; I love both my trackers and safaris.

Courteney gators.... no a big fan, I picked up a set of the Boyt canvas gaiters at DSC this year and love them.

As someone with flat feet who has spent many dollars on footwear I have to say that Courteney gets my vote; I love both my trackers and safaris.

Courteney gators.... no a big fan, I picked up a set of the Boyt canvas gaiters at DSC this year and love them.
Don’t you find canvas gaiters to be to noisy?

Everyone appears to have a distinct viewpoint on this subject. In my opinion, I really like the 8" Jim Green boots with the African Ranger soles.

Has anyone tried the Wildebees Spoorloos, which is made in South Africa?

What's the best African Style boot you can buy, as well as gaiters? You know like you always see the PHs wear in shorts. I know I don't need a pair I'd just like to have them for my 1st safari.
There is no "best Africa style boot" since everyone is different. What you are likely asking for is a Courtney boot (Africa Sporting Creations) and ankle gaiters (leather - ASC, or canvass Boyt Harness Company (my fav))

I wore a set of Merrells hiking boots with Boyt gaiters and they served my purpose on a plains game hunt in Namibia, quiet and comfortable. With that said, I'm a fan of Salomon now. I try not to get to hung up on the brand name. If they're comfortable and have a reputation for not falling apart, I'll give them a shot. I still wear the gaiters here in SW US.

I wear Salomon every day for work the old Style gtx mens quest where great. Been through 3 pairs. But the they decide to change them. New Style not so great. Ended up with pain across the top of my foot from kneeling.
Back in the hunt for a new boot once I wear these ones out. Just been having a look and came across these, Anyone had a pair?

Attachments

• Asolo Mens Supertrek GTX Walking Boot - Footwear from Gaynor Sports UK.pdf
    447.5 KB · Views: 4
Boots are personal and much depends on your feet. For example, lots of people want cushioning and arch support; I neither want nor need it.

I do think as a general rule, American boots are too heavy, too stiff, too hard-soled. A mountaineering boot should be a specialized tool, not the default option. Also, keep your environment in mind: vent holes designed to let moisture out will also let dust and sand in. I have some Arcto sealskin boots made in Namibia that are about perfect for Namibia. Just picked up a pair of Jim green barefoot boots that I’m looking forward to trying. I think a pair of Chuck Taylors would be perfect for the Caprivi if only they didn’t have vent holes. I’d want leather if in thornier parts of the country.

I personally found the Courteney boots to be overrated. On a Brannock device, I am an 11.5D on the nose, maybe a smidge on the higher side of a D width. Pretty average foot, finding shoes that fit is never an issue for me. A 10.5UK D width Courteney Selous is still a very wide boot, the last is still an E+/EE width be most boot standards. I don't know if everyone in Zimbabwe has Flintstone feet or what, but if I decide to try another pair of this style I will have James Leddy make some that are a normal US D width. At the end of the day, it was a $400 boot that was too wide, very heavy, and needed a $50 insole to have decent support (for my very average arches...not high, not low). I liked the comfort and toughness once I found the right insole, the style is subjective but I didn't find them particularly attractive. I do like the Safari model some friends have, I wish I had gotten them instead.

I also tried the Jim Green Rangers, I liked them much more and they were maybe $120. I don't think they'd last as long by any means, but they're rebuildable and I can afford to replace boots when I trash them.

I wore 5.10 Guide Tennies all over Northern/Central Africa and the Middle East, with short brush gaiters they were extremely quiet and comfortable. Unfortunately they were discontinued in that form and the new ones aren't nearly the same since Adidas bought 5.10. If I were going back on a hunt tomorrow I'd probably wear Blundstones, they check all the blocks for me.
African boots in general tend to have a wide toe box. I suspect kids go barefoot a lot and consequently their feet grow to the natural shape of a human foot, not being subject to the bunion-inducing foot binding caused by the shoe shape dictated by western fashion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
computerstore

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.