African Huntin Boots

charlieb

AH veteran
Reaction score
What's the best African Style boot you can buy, as well as gaiters? You know like you always see the PHs wear in shorts. I know I don't need a pair I'd just like to have them for my 1st safari.

You just went down a rabbit hole. People lose a lot of sleep over this subject around here for some reason.

I've had four Ph's and they wore four different boots. First was some heavy soled hiking boots, no gaiters. second, old school chukka type boots with leather gaiters, third slip on ankle high hunting boots I noticed a lot in South Africa and third some lace up boots. I don't recall what type of gaiters on either of the last two. I have a pair of Russel Thula Thula PHs and some Texas Hunt Co gaiters. Love both of them, though others do not and the Texas Hunt Co products are no more. Courtney boots are pretty classic and have their fans, Boyt Harness makes some good canvas gaiters I'd go with before I'd go with leather.

Thanks, I'll take your word for it and search through the names mentioned, I use schnees for Alaska so I wanted a purpose built boot. I'll end the thread!

I’ve seen several PH’s wear sandals or crocs. I personally wear Oboz brand hikers. I do use quality wool socks for all my hunts. I wouldn’t be too concerned about the boots/hikers you choose.

Just bought a pair of Jim green African ranger boots on Amazon . Hand made in South Africa. I will have 4 months to wear them day to day . Leave for western cape in September.

I like the Jim Green boots for being quiet in the Limpopo and similar flat land. I have several pair of canvas gaiters from Boyt. I wore Solomon hiking low cut shoes in Eastern cape and Namibia where more climbing rocks and hills were involved. Comfortable and quiet are more important than brand!!!

I wore some hanwag makra trek lights and they were great in the mountains but a little loud for stalking. Sole is a little stiff. Probably try some zamberlan salathe on my next trip. Would like to try some Courteneys too At some point.

Rocky S2V, un-insulated, no steel toe and non-waterproof. Simple boots that have a good sole, are quiet and fast to lace/unlace. Add inserts if needed.
1713669769745.png

I really don’t think there is a best. Courteney boots are generally accepted as the “best” but are very expensive and to me not that practical outside Africa unless you live in a very dry climate. They also don’t seem to fit everyone well. If you are doing a spot and stalk plains game hunt I really don’t think the boots you choose matter that much. I have liked Merrell hiking shoes on previous hunts. The GoRuck boots seem to get a lot of praise here and look very good for a PG hunt. If you are doing a tracking hunt for dangerous game quiet boots really matter. I haven’t fully identified what makes a quiet tracking boot, but if you look at most African boots like courteney, They are a one piece rubber sole. Most US hunting and hiking boots have a cushion layer built into the sole and this seems to make them relatively loud trying to get in close. US hunting boots are also typically too soft when it gets hot and thorns can puncture or the sole can bend mid-day. I’ve had a big learning curve on boots and still haven’t come to a conclusion. I bought my first courteney’s this year after resisting spending the money, but I also bought a pair of leather vellies in Namibia for $60 that seem like great quiet tracking shoes. If you are doing a general plains game hunt I’d tell you to find a boot you think is suitable for your hunt but also can be used at home, then develop some opinions from there rather than spending $450 on courteney’s you probably don’t need yet. For gaiters, I like leather gaiters with no zippers. I haven’t found a pair I like here in US. I have two pairs from South Africa and Namibia, one has two buttons and one slips over your feet before you put the boots on. I wear them with pants as well to stop the pant leg from riding up on the boot.

Best is a VERY subjective term that’s dependent upon the person, the location, and the style/type of hunting. I’ve had PH’s that wore Merrell, Danner, Jim Green, Courtney, Chuck Taylor’s, Crocs and several other hiking or military style boots.

I’ve used Courtney, Merrell, Meindel, and Solomon hiking boot, as well as Nike’s. For me personally, I’ll likely take the Nike’s, Merrell, or Solomon’s on most every African hunt going forward, barring something I think I’ll be spending a lot of time in water. Gaiter wise, I’ve worn Kuiu and Courtney and will likely pick the Courtney’s everytime for Africa.

Find what’s comfortable and fits well.
Climate plays a part in this too.
I live in that climate where Courtney boots are suitable
I have a set of Courteney boots and actually gave my second set to my son as they were a loose fit albeit the same size. I expect there is some variation in sizing.
I like them but if I bought them again I would try in store to get the right pair

I bought the 8" Jim Green boots with the African Ranger soles a few months ago. Love them. They required very little break in and walking with them several times a week

I have sevral pairs of Courteney boots but just got a set of the Jim Green barefoot African ranger boots and love them I wear them just about daily. For gaites you can get a leather or canvas sets from Tag Safari and Boyt harness company

I’ve worn some brand/style of boot every day professionally since 1980 and each is designed for specific different purposes. As far as Africa goes it is hard to beat Courteney’s design (I own 4 pair). However, I also have a pair of Russell PH’s and recently I’ve been wearing a pair of Jim Greene Rangers, which I like.

You just went down a rabbit hole. People lose a lot of sleep over this subject around here for some reason.

I've had four Ph's and they wore four different boots. First was some heavy soled hiking boots, no gaiters. second, old school chukka type boots with leather gaiters, third slip on ankle high hunting boots I noticed a lot in South Africa and third some lace up boots. I don't recall what type of gaiters on either of the last two. I have a pair of Russel Thula Thula PHs and some Texas Hunt Co gaiters. Love both of them, though others do not and the Texas Hunt Co products are no more. Courtney boots are pretty classic and have their fans, Boyt Harness makes some good canvas gaiters I'd go with before I'd go with leather.
I saw that too on my one African hunt. Different PHs all had different boots. My PH was a young guy and wore 6" zip up boots and shorts. No gaiters. Functional. That's probably what he could afford as the same for MOST of us. I wore a pair of Vasque hiking boots that I already had with 5-11 cotton pants. I had sprayed everything with Permethrin prior to the hunt but my PH had never heard of it.

Last edited:
I’ve found the Courtney’s to be a bit heavy for my preferences. I went with a barefoot style Merrell with the Boyt gaiters for my buffalo hunt and I thought they worked quite well. Occasionally had to pull some sikkelbos out of the bottoms, but nothing terribly painful or more than a slight inconvenience.

I have also tried the LEMS Boulder boot, it will be my primary boot this year with leather gaiters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.