Selling your trophy room....

I am still "new" in my African journey. I have been once, and my second trip is booked. At this point, I still can't imagine doing Africa without doing taxidermy. Problem is we are moving to Florida and seriously downsizing. I get one 12x12 room and one half the of the 2-car garage. At some point I will probably come to my senses and realize it's not about the taxidermy. I'm just not there yet.
It took me until after the second Africa trip (at 62) to get to the "no more taxidermy" point.

It is the downsizing of the house that got me. I chose acreage over square feet!
 
What has irritated some is his effort to get hunters to clean up their social media, more focus on conservation and education and less focus on dead critters.
I promote hunting via dead critters. :unsure: This is me on a zoom call with about a dozen people a few minutes earlier.

1780606363304.png
 
I'm almost there myself. I leave for Africa next month for my 13th trip. Not all of those were me hunting. I used to work with some outfitters over there and I booked a lot of hunters to go Africa and enjoy a good Safari like I loved to do.

This trip I am hunting buffalo, but it's going to be a skull mount along with anything else I might take while I'm there. With the prices going up on hunting and taxidermy and shipping I figure I'm going to spend more money on shooting than mounting. Skull mounts and flat skins are very affordable and shipping is minimal compared to regular mounts.
 
Always appreciate a post like this. Helps reinforce my decision to leave it all and just keep photos. I go through ups and downs, but it’s a lot of money saved.
 
I think age might play as a factor into taxidermy being 34 I enjoy looking at my taxidermy, also knowing that in my lifetime I would guess that bringing animals back from Africa will be outlawed
 
I think age might play as a factor into taxidermy being 34 I enjoy looking at my taxidermy, also knowing that in my lifetime I would guess that bringing animals back from Africa will be outlawed
Why would you guess that?
 
My mother died last week 79, my father has quite a bit of mounts. I'd like to have them, when he goes but not all of them.

I am paying for very little taxidermy going forward. Really happy with skull mounts. You don't get the colors, but the experience is cool.

that and you can pay for more hunting when you are not paying for taxidermy.
 
Really nothing. He still promotes conservation through hunting and leads an aggressive anti poaching campaign. What has irritated some is his effort to get hunters to clean up their social media, more focus on conservation and education and less focus on dead critters. Although I am guilty of plenty of trophy pics, I do see his point.
He really has hidden hunting from his life. I wouldn’t say he promotes hunting for conservation.

Shame
 
He really has hidden hunting from his life. I wouldn’t say he promotes hunting for conservation.

Shame
.

Ivan Carter used to be a top big game PH & in particular ele. He then switched sides & went all out on conservation & protecting wildlife with a pretty strong anti hunting line. Raised quite a few eyebrows at the time.

Not to detract from Ross's points, I have a couple of big hunts in the making where I will hopefully have the animals mounted. 'Special hunts'. But otherwise I am also looking at photographs plus the possibility of having one or two paintings done of animals taken. Something different!

.
 
My Father and I long term donated all our mounts to a cowboy church in Victoria, Texas. Like some of y'all said, it's a lot memories and would be hard to sell. After we sold our business, the mounts went to our houses. We used all wall the space we had in two house and the rest went to storage. They were in storage way to long and the donation thing just happened by chance.

I kept all the Euro mounts and only plan on euro going forward, if I kept the horns at all and will only mount something special. Some of y'all has the same idea.

If your needing to save room, the Euros look great on the Skull Hooker Trophy tree. Now, that my daughter wants to start hunting with me, I might have to get some mounts again and our house is clean slate.

FYI, Since the mounts were donated my parents took a tax break. Yall might look into that.
 
sadly in Europe, worthless - unfortunately people dont appreciare etc !
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,588
Members
169,590
Latest member
JosephGrefe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top