Jaeger Mount Problem

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I acquired a rifle recently that has a Paul Jaeger side mount. It has low rings. The problem is that the rings are so low that the ocular bell of several scopes prevents the cycling of the bolt. the maximum diameter of the bell is 1.55" and several of the desirable scopes are about 1.65". I have not been able to find any source for Jaeger parts or service and am unaware of any rings that will interchange. I'm not inclined to having 1/10th of an inch machined off of the bolt handle.

the rifle is a Win 70 in 404 J and I do have a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x that will work but would like to mount a S&B or Zeiss 1.5-5x. Any thoughts on how I can get it to work or should I stay with the 2-7x?

If I can attach them-

DSC_2107.JPG
DSC_2108.JPG
DSC_2109.JPG
DSC_2110.JPG
DSC_2111.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an extremely low mount... Only answer is higher Rings... I'll see what I can find for you... No promises, but, I'll see if I can locate a supplier for a set o' Rings for you...

The rings are attached with screws. One I was able to remove. The other requires a screwdriver that I don't have which is a very thin blade but wide to grip the width of the slot. The screw that I am unable to remove has two set screws with 1.5mm allen heads, which I could remove but the main screw, even with penetrating oil was too tight to turn with a small screw driver. Both rings connect with posts that enter holes in the base and are then tightened by the main screws.

DSC_2112.JPG
DSC_2113.JPG
DSC_2114.JPG
DSC_2115.JPG
DSC_2116.JPG
DSC_2117.JPG
DSC_2118.JPG
DSC_2119.JPG
DSC_2120.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Best option, would be to get someone with a Lathe to make you some Spacers & reattach with longer screws

If I could find a supplier that has a higher set it would be the best solution, but as you say, the most likely solution available is to find someone that is good with a lathe to make some spacers. thanks for your help!!

After doing some serious digging, I would say, that it is going to be nearly impossible to find just the rings, you'd most likely have to buy a complete mount with higher rings...

Last edited:
buying another mount, one with higher scope placement would be an option as long as the ring portion of the mount would fit the existing base (the part mounted on the rifle). I wouldn't want to disrupt the existing base or possibly be drilling additional holes.

Paul Jaeger's nephew set up NECG after Paul died in the mid 1960s. I understand that NECG still has some Jaeger mounts in stock and they would certainly know how to modify your mount.

I got an e-mail back from Mark Cromwell, NECG. The only rings they had left are 1" low, however I'm seeing if I can order a set, possibly they will set a little higher than the present ones, but even if not, they would be new and less "stressed" than the ones on the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!