African Adventure by Fredrick B. Patterson (Good Read)

Traveler1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI & NRA Life Member, DSC, HSC, DU and the Outer Circle
Hunted
Ethopia, CAR, Congo, SWA, RSA, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia; Europe, S. Pacific, N&S America
All,

I had been seeing some the old safari pictures go across the front page of AH and decided to read African Adventure again. I think this book is under the radar of most hunters and appears to have had a limited printing in 1928. I have had this book close to 30 years and with less than a 100 pages I have read it many times. The author was the son of John H. Patterson. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Patterson_(NCR_owner) He hunted with Denys Finch-Hatton and knew the Duke of York. Here are few pages from the book. Sorry for the poor scanning, I did not want to stretch the binding. The author filmed most his safari. I would love to see that motion picture. The author is no Capstick, but I was not expecting that. It reads like a very exciting Hunting Report from 1927.
Pages 1 and 2_Page_1.jpg
Pages 1 and 2_Page_2.jpg
Pages from AA2.jpg
Pages from AA4.jpg
Page from AA.jpg

Yes a very good book for the archive. I have a print of a pic of Patterson’s first lion (not shown in the book), and a scan of the letter finch hatton wrote Kermit Roosevelt asking if he knew anything about Patterson.

Yes a very good book for the archive. I have a print of a pic of Patterson’s first lion (not shown in the book), and a scan of the letter finch hatton wrote Kermit Roosevelt asking if he knew anything about Patterson.

Had did you come by the picture and letter?

Had did you come by the picture and letter?

I bought the pic from a newspaper archive in India and the letter is from the national archives. I paid for them to scan all of the letters from Denys to Kermit for me.

consider me a finch hatton aficionado.

Gotcha... I will keep that in mind when I run across any DFH items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.