.375 IMR4350 & 300gr Barnes TSX

RL 15 is a very accurate load. Try 75.5 grains of W760. Very accurate.

View attachment 575022
I’m also in the process of developing loads for the Banes 300 gn TSX in 375 H & H, I managed to get some Big Game powder. Anyone have any input on this load, overall length? Using it in a Blaser R8
I've tried the Win 748 and IMR 4320 with good results in my CZ 550 .375 H&H.

In my experience, Barnes bullets do not foul barrels anymore than standard jacketed. It all depends on the condition of the barrel. If you run a bore scope down the rifling grooves and it looks rough, you are going to get fouling. If it's smooth as a baby's bottom, that barrel will not foul as much. In any case, most of us that shoot competitive rifle events clean the bore with some form of ammonia based solvent.

The Barnes bullets have given me excellent accuracy in every rifle I've tried them in. Some just took more fiddling than others. The deeper you seat them, the better accuracy they seem to give. Exactly the opposite of most jacketed bullets.

My girlfriend Tina has a Savage Lady Hunter in 257 Roberts that shoots less than half inch, 5 shot groups with 100 grain Barnes X bullets. My Tikka 308 and my CZ 550 .375 will do under 3/4 inch, 5 shot groups with 150 and 300 grainers respectively. IMR 4350 was the best powder in 257, but the others liked a variety of loads, and backing off the seating depth was the key to accuracy.

Boy when someone wants load data they really need some loading manuals.
Never rely on data from a forum without checking against a loading manual.
Not trying to be smart, but I'd never reload without a manual.
I have just about every manual published and a subscription to load data but I’m still interested in what recommendations and experiences other shooters have. Developing a load is time consuming and can get expensive when caliber size increases.

I’m with you that any load input received needs to be checked against loading manuals to see if it is safe to consider using it.

Boy when someone wants load data they really need some loading manuals.
Never rely on data from a forum without checking against a loading manual.
Not trying to be smart, but I'd never reload without a manual.
i e never gone wrong with my Quickload software knowing it is conservative with its load recommendations particularly PSI

I have had good results with RL15, H380, and N-150.

I have been loading my 375HH 300 grs for the last 40 years iwht excellent results on dangerous game and big game using my favorite load of IMR4350 80.0grs fed 215
on both my CS550 and WIN model 70 chronographed several times at 2635 fps sd 8.0
accuracy at 100 yrds with sierr 300 btsp under 1.0'' of course with scope/leupold or swarvoski .
for my 375 double i use same powder/primer but 77 grs and hornady.woodeligh bullets groupind 1.5'' 100 yds

Interesting info. Good to know about copper fouling issues with Barnes bullets. For my 404 I have Barnes TSX bullets seated to where crimp just covers the canelure(sp). Those cartridges' OAL measures exactly at standard for that cartridge. So I'm not getting the jump? Also, I don't see anything mentioned about jump on the Barnes 404 bullet box though I seem to recall seeing it on 30-06 bullet box.

I just got off the horn with barns and they sent me this
IMG_0787.png

On the Barnes website under LOADING GUIDELINES about 3/4 of the way down the page.

And this email

If wanting to use a powder/bullet we do not have load data listed, you can use "other" (jacketed lead core or monolithic) bullet load data when loading a Barnes Bullet of equal (or close to) weight. Using data from HodgdonReloading.com or other sources/powder/bullet manufacturers. JUST BE SURE TO START AT THE MINIMUM STARTING LOAD and work up from there in half grain increments watching for signs of high pressure such as, a sticky (hard) bolt lift when ejecting the fired case, ejector mark on the case head stamp or flattened/leaky primers. Once you notice any of the high pressure signs then you will want to lower the charge about half a grain or so to where no high pressure signs are present, and that would technically be "YOUR" rifle's max load. The load data published by all of the companies is just a reference point/guideline to safely start out at the minimum charges. The MAX charge solely depends on your rifle's chamber, barrel length, powder lot #, brass case capacity/manufacturer and your environmental conditions. Using a website, loaddata.com’s “THE ULTIMATE RELOADING MANUAL” for the sole purpose of finding specific load data can be a huge time saver.

When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off the lands. This is the point where your load development should begin. You can then later test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods/tools designed to determine your rifles best COAL. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure/pressure relief rings. The pressure relief rings have nothing to do with seating depth; ignore them! Remember, there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.

Hodgdon and Hornady both have 270 gr “lead core” data but if both the above two processes are used you will have a fine reload developed before too long. As for the 235 gr TSX bullet use the 250 gr SFT AF bullet load data on the Hodgdon website. https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/?t=1 Remember to start low and work up.

Thank You
Alan Griffith
| Consumer Service
Barnes Bullets

And this email

If wanting to use a powder/bullet we do not have load data listed, you can use "other" (jacketed lead core or monolithic) bullet load data when loading a Barnes Bullet of equal (or close to) weight. Using data from HodgdonReloading.com or other sources/powder/bullet manufacturers. JUST BE SURE TO START AT THE MINIMUM STARTING LOAD and work up from there in half grain increments watching for signs of high pressure such as, a sticky (hard) bolt lift when ejecting the fired case, ejector mark on the case head stamp or flattened/leaky primers. Once you notice any of the high pressure signs then you will want to lower the charge about half a grain or so to where no high pressure signs are present, and that would technically be "YOUR" rifle's max load. The load data published by all of the companies is just a reference point/guideline to safely start out at the minimum charges. The MAX charge solely depends on your rifle's chamber, barrel length, powder lot #, brass case capacity/manufacturer and your environmental conditions. Using a website, loaddata.com’s “THE ULTIMATE RELOADING MANUAL” for the sole purpose of finding specific load data can be a huge time saver.

When loading a Barnes TSX, Tipped TSX or LRX bullet, your rifle may prefer a bullet jump of anywhere between .050” up to .250” or more. This distance off the lands (rifling), aka “jump” may be limited to the rifles throat length, magazine length and bullet length.

When selecting the cartridge overall length (COAL) we recommend starting with a minimum “jump” of .050” off the lands. This is the point where your load development should begin. You can then later test different seating depths and find a “sweet spot” that your particular firearm prefers. We suggest working in at least .025” increments as follows seating the bullet deeper to allow a further jump. Your test plan could look something like this:

1st group- .050” jump
2nd group- .075” jump
3rd group- .100” jump
4th group- .125” jump
5th group- .150“ jump
6th group- * see below

This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods/tools designed to determine your rifles best COAL. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure/pressure relief rings. The pressure relief rings have nothing to do with seating depth; ignore them! Remember, there are many factors that may control or limit the seating depth for your application. You may find that you need to start at around 0.150” off the lands and are not able to get any closer due to limiting factors including proper neck tension and magazine length.

*In rifles that have long throats you may be limited on how close you are able to get the bullet to the lands. In these instances, it is not uncommon to find the best accuracy with a jump of .200” or more.

This jump may possibly stay the same regardless of powder or charge weight within a given rifle. If preferred accuracy is not obtained, we certainly recommend trying another powder, for the powder type and charge greatly affects the overall accuracy of each individual firearm.

FYI- An accurate load requires a bullet with the proper consistent case neck tension which leads to more constant pressures and velocities.

Hodgdon and Hornady both have 270 gr “lead core” data but if both the above two processes are used you will have a fine reload developed before too long. As for the 235 gr TSX bullet use the 250 gr SFT AF bullet load data on the Hodgdon website. https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/?t=1 Remember to start low and work up.

Thank You
Alan Griffith
| Consumer Service
Barnes Bullets
Thanks! That clears up the jump issue and cartridge OAL. Nice that Alan would take the time to write that up. Very thorough and well articulated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross