Recent content by woods0824

  1. W

    Short Action Elk Rifle

    Either one will work just fine. I've killed several bulls with 270win but would not hesitate to use 7-08 or 308 if that is what I had on hand. Those two are also great to build a light weight 20" barrel gun with suppressor as they do not give up too much in a short barrel. At altitude those two...
  2. W

    35 Whelen recoil and terminal performance?

    Both of his current rifles are plenty capable for Eland. My brother was able to take his with his 270 and 150 TSX no issues at all. I'm in the accuracy before energy camp, especially with modern projectiles.
  3. W

    New Rifle Itch...

    I'm a fan of the Impact NBK. They are now making a lighter version if weight is important. For a more affordable option I'd consider the Weatherby 307. It is based on the Remington 700 so it is easy to build off of and is sold for a fair price. The biggest selling point for the Inpact for me is...
  4. W

    Looking to re-scope several rifles, seeking input

    Accupoint as others have already suggested.
  5. W

    Concealed Carry: Your EDC

    P938 in a Alabama pocket holster.
  6. W

    Who is going spring bear hunting and where?

    Headed to Alaska for Brown/Grizzly and black bear combo baited bear hunt in June, excited for the adventure. I've hunted bears just about every way you can, but never baited. Hopefully we are able to get on a good one.
  7. W

    Scottish Stag Stalking Recommendations

    My brother and I hunted with Kevin Lynch (Game Hunt Ireland) in 2024 and had a good experience. We had the girls and my daughter with us and managed to hunt for a few days and tour the coast for a couple of days. Seemed like plenty of stag in their area with most or all hunters connecting...
  8. W

    .280AI Bullet Choice

    I've had great luck with the 145 Barnes LRX in 280ai rifles.
  9. W

    Which lightweight scope?

    Maybe it's just bad luck on this one. I've got several Z3, Z5, and Z6 on other rifles with no issues, but I've lost confidence with the Z3 line for now.
  10. W

    Which lightweight scope?

    I've been on the same hunt as OP for a light weight but robust scope than can handle some longer range work if necessary. I had settled on a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with the BRH reticle. Gun is 5lb10ounces before scope and apparently that was too much for the little Swaro. Erector assembly failed after...
  11. W

    Browning A-bolt .338 Win for sale

    Bumping this up one time.
  12. W

    Browning A-bolt .338 Win for sale

    For sale Browning A-Bolt .338 Win with 4 boxes of Hendershots 250 grain accubond ammo. Reason for sale is making room on safe as this has not been fired since acquisition a couple years ago. At the time these were going in the $900 range. I'll let this one go with the 4 boxes of ammo as a...
  13. W

    Ultralight Sheep Rifles for Sale NULA/ULA/Forbes/Fieldcraft/Bansner

    Thank you, Will. Gun arrived promptly in great condition as advertised. Looking forward to putting some glass on it and getting it dialed in. Thinking a Swaro 3.5-10 with the BRH reticle will work great.
  14. W

    Shotgun choices for a Woman

    My wife chose the Syren Elos D2 and has been very happy with it. Ordered through August Crocker who was great to deal with. Although it is a lighter field gun, the recoil is not a problem for her to shoot a round or two of sporting clays.
  15. W

    I'm hearing BS - Set me straight on Powders being discontinued!?

    I was told by Lonnie at Superior that in December Alliant was sold overseas. I've heard similar rumors as you over the past year, but I have not been able to confirm any of it. Wishing I had some Reloader 17 on hand if it's really not coming back.
 
Top