Recent content by spiska

  1. S

    Any Mauser Aficionados? My new 9.3x62

    Yeah, website says 6.5lbs naked for the Tikka. 20” barrel. Add maybe another 16-20oz for scope and rings? Don’t suppose I’d want a heavy high-power scope on a 9.3. Do you just pour lead shot into the butt of the stock? I think this was done to one of my synthetic A-bolts I bought used. I can...
  2. S

    Fixing hairline crack in stock

    I’m helping a friend clean up a Steven’s single shot .22. There is a hairline crack at the muzzle end of the stock where it curves at the bottom. Not a huge problem structurally since it is a .22 but I’d like to go ahead and fix it for him. I plan to flush it out with some acetone before...
  3. S

    Some Model 70 issues

    When y’all say “wiggle”, do you mean the magazine box should have some clearance from the receiver or should it have clearance and be able to move slightly? Mine’s wedged in tighter than John’s hat band on one of my Mausers. Had some binding issues I fixed with a shim. But I think I have...
  4. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    That’s very kind and I greatly appreciate the offer but I’m waaaaay down in the sweaty asscrack of SC on the east coast. Always wanted to visit Washington and Oregon. The closest I’ve been to NE Washington was a 1-hour layover in Seattle about 10 years ago on a trip to Victoria, BC.
  5. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    Can’t hurt to have a drill press too.:ROFLMAO:
  6. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    I haven’t given up on using the buffer but I found a bench top drill press on clearance at Northern Tool this weekend and I’m using it. Lowest listed speed is ~800 and seems to work well.
  7. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    Now I just need to find a drill press to borrow for a few minutes so I can drill a hole that’s uniform and square.
  8. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    I may just drill out the center of the wheel to the size of the arbor. It’s $25 if I mess it up. No big deal. I imagine my buffer is a bit too fast on its own but I have a plug in speed regulator that I’m going to test on it to slow it down. If that doesn’t work well I guess I’ll start browsing...
  9. S

    Any Mauser Aficionados? My new 9.3x62

    Very nice. I’ve been debating getting a 9.3x62. Don’t see a lot of new options in the US. EuroOptic can order the Tikka Battue and I love the design but not sure if it isn’t a bit lightweight for 9.3x62.
  10. S

    What to Do….M70 SS Action

    I actually have the same rifle in 300WM. It’s apparently an R&D prototype rifle with a hand-stamped serial number. I assume it was transferred from New Haven to Columbia when FNA took over M70 production for a few years. But I haven’t pulled it out in a while.
  11. S

    What to Do….M70 SS Action

    Sorry, I missed that you had both versions of the BOSS.
  12. S

    What to Do….M70 SS Action

    Call or email the Browning service center. They have a non-brake replacement for the BOSS and they will send it to you for free, at least they sent mine for free. Just specify the finish of your gun so it matches. At some point they probably got enough complaints from deaf hunters who were...
  13. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    I use that method on hard to reach areas. But for 4 whole rifles it’s a bit tedious and time consuming. The carding wheel is efficient and does a great job. Very gentle but thorough. I’ve used it on a hand drill but I’d like the control and consistency of my stationary buffer or drill press. But...
  14. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    I appreciate the concern, but I’m not hitting them with a wire wheel or taking off the finish. I’m not even refinishing or restoring them. I’m just stopping rust that has built up over decades and is slowly destroying the guns and revealing the original blued finish underneath. Adding oil to...
  15. S

    Adapter for benchtop buffer?

    I have a few old guns that I’m conserving. They were my father-in-law’s and he gave them to my kids. They’ve been sitting in a closet for a few decades and had some hard use when he was a kid. They have patina (oiled rust) that I want to convert and gently remove with a carding wheel to get back...
 
Top