Recent content by Ryan

  1. Ryan

    What is Your Nemesis Animal?

    Growing up in southern Arizona-javelina. Saw them out of season and such, no problem, in season, they vanished for years. Finally got one in my 40s with a guide, and we worked for it. In Alaska-moose. I have a Dall sheep, plenty of caribou and a couple blacktail deer. No moose. In my defense I...
  2. Ryan

    What are you reading?

    I stumbled on this in the local used book store. Interesting, Fred went to Chad and CAR on his first trip to Africa. I only recalled reading and hearing about his two trips to Mozambique. But in all honesty, he was far more successful on those later two trips taking elephant, lion and Cape...
  3. Ryan

    Spiral Slam Vs. Macnab; What's in a Name?

    Much ado about nothing in both cases. Series of goals are IMO finite and rather personal. In a few days, months or years no one but you will care. The Royal McNab doesn't even show up on my radar. But I have the spiral slam you refer to one and a half times, and who knows? i read about the 'Ham...
  4. Ryan

    Top 5 plains game?

    Kudu, zebra, warthog- and impala in my book for the first 4. They just say Africa to me. After that it is something regional like gemsbok for Namibia, or bushbuck or nyala.
  5. Ryan

    Used Trophies

    Just do a search for taxidermy for sale, there's a few places. And boar are common enough I guarantee you'll find a mount.
  6. Ryan

    Left handed shooters

    I'm a lefty and the short answer is I have and do shoot both. I shot a right handed auto 16 gauge shotgun in high school chasing quail and never noticed the shells zinging past my face. Then in the Air Force, on the admittedly rare times I shot an M-16, they were also right handed for obvious...
  7. Ryan

    What four calibres would you choose

    Looking in my small collection, I must by default go with 22LR rifle, preferably my Ruger 10/22. 12 gauge shotgun. *I really loved a 16 gauge in my younger years, but the 12 wins for one size fits all.* 30-06. It just does it all in the middle. 375 Ruger. I'm a Lefty, Ruger leaned my way on...
  8. Ryan

    30-06...again

    I have used a 30-06 with 168 Barnes to drop kudu, zebra and a few other Plains Game. I would use the 150s too without any worries. Heck, people drop wildebeest with 270s shooting 150 grain core and cup and bonded bullets and the 150 grain Barnes beats those hands down for weight retention. Put...
  9. Ryan

    MagNaPort

    Ya don't see elephant like that anymore. I forgot they aren't all that far from my family in Michigan.
  10. Ryan

    Namibia Safari - Plains Game

    I shot most of those animals mentioned in Namibia with a 30-06 using 168 gr TTSX and none went more than a few feet with a well placed shot. So, I am rather biased to the TTSX. But honestly, any and all of those bullets will do well. As mentioned, whichever shoots best.
  11. Ryan

    2 Rifle Beater Battery

    My Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger is in that category. It's not the rifle I wanted, it's the one I needed and works. I did want a 375 Ruger, but I tried to upgrade it with better stocks and that went south twice. #3 (technically #2 in line) is the no frills laminate that has worked out with...
  12. Ryan

    Looking for Bushpig taxidermy ideas!

    I got a closed mouth wall pedestal and had the skull put on a plaque.
  13. Ryan

    Next safari

    I suspect this will be repeated. I hunted Namibia my first and second time.. For the third I went to the Eastern Cape of RSA. Terrain is totally different, and species not found there like Nyala and bushbuck were on my list. No shortage of good operators with a variety of game. I worked with...
 
Top