Recent content by Rigby375

  1. R

    Anybody have the Rigby watch?

    One would think there’d be an opportunity to champion a fellow British precision engineering manufacturer and collaborate with someone like Bremont (who make a lot of custom watches for the military and emergency services community, as well as civilian clients, eg a recent Henley Royal Regatta...
  2. R

    Spiral Slam Vs. Macnab; What's in a Name?

    Interestingly, grouse don’t appear at all in the original book by John Buchan (the author of the better known The Thirty Nine Steps spy / adventure novel, also a good read!) in which three men, bored with their comfortable lives as a politician, a banker, and a barrister head to the Highlands to...
  3. R

    Classic stalking rifles - today

    Schulz and Larsen rifles have been mentioned on this thread already but I’ll add my recommendation as a new, off-the-shelf option if available in your local market. S&L are renowned for their barrels (they cut the rifling rather than button drawing or hammer forging so stress is kept to a...
  4. R

    What are you reading?

    An oldie but a goodie
  5. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    https://www.africahunting.com/threads/have-you-done-a-driven-pheasant-grouse-hunt-in-the-uk-or-spain.106246/post-1674842 @JES Adventures
  6. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    This can all sound very daunting to the uninitiated but I promise it isn’t! A great book that offers a lighthearted dive in to the traditions, etiquette and even clothing is “How to be asked again” by Rosie Nickerson.
  7. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    Several UK shooting organisations and charities get together to run a survey every year: the 2025 results show that the average price paid per pheasant or partridge on a driven day in the previous season was about £50+VAT so call it £60 all in (some shoots are run as “sporting clubs” and aren’t...
  8. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    To each their own. As I mentioned in post #27, I’m the first to admit that, at least to me, shooting driven birds is primarily more of a social activity than a “hunt” but I will, however, politely and respectfully disagree with your opinion that shooting driven birds involves no skill. I’m...
  9. R

    Acceptable offhand accuracy: Right and Left of Luftwaffe WW1

    My old regiment’s game book (which had entries dating back to the Victorian era) had “Nazis: 2” recorded in the “various” column on the page for 1944. The (potentially apocryphal) story goes that, while the regiment was advancing through Belgium, one officer took advantage of some down time to...
  10. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    Standing in a grouse butt waiting for the drive to start. The finest view in England!
  11. R

    Flat Skin Tanning Cost - Wildebeest/Nyala

    Their current pricelist has wildebeest backskins at $550 and nyala at $250
  12. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    By the way, off topic but I think it’s the combination of the genuine hunting / pitting oneself against a wild animal and the social aspect of sundowners around the fire at the end of the day that appeals to me so much about hunting in Africa and why I immediately felt at home on my first (but...
  13. R

    Have you done a driven pheasant/grouse hunt in the UK or Spain?

    I was fortunate to grow up shooting driven pheasants and partridges in the UK from a young age and it still forms an important part of my season. Over the years, I’ve been lucky to add an annual trip to the moors for grouse to the calendar and, more recently, started sharing a day of snipe and...
  14. R

    Quick Release / Quick Disconnect Scope Mounts - Do You Use Them?

    Thank you. I have a similar set up with a custom foam cut out inside a Peli case for my “regular” deer rifle with fixed scope mounting so I’ll likely do the same and have a new cut out made for this rifle given the risk of issues / delays once in Africa. Appreciate the response.
 
Top