Recent content by Rifleman97

  1. R

    What four calibres would you choose

    What makes you want 2 big bores? I mean I want a dozen big bores, but within the limited hypothetical? What does one do the other can’t and what animals would you use each for?
  2. R

    Vortex Free Custom Turret Redemption

    A few months back a member of another forum sold a vortex scope that had a customized turret set up for I believe 6.5 PRC with 143 eldx. Only one I’ve seen and since the ad is now expired good luck finding it, but I have seen at least one.
  3. R

    The Largest Safari Classified in AH history

    Wood expert here, that elephant stool is really neat! I’m almost but not quite 100% sure that is east Indian rosewood, which is not restricted for import or export in the United States, unlike Brazilian rosewood which is on the CITES list. There’s no difference in quality between the two, just...
  4. R

    Good Gun Deals This Week

    I work a lot with sawmills that make the gunstocks. Grading is an art, but a given blank can make a grade 2 or a grade 5 stock, depending a little on luck, and the stock maker themself. Sometimes 50-70% of the blank is grade 2, and only some has high figure, but the stock maker angles their...
  5. R

    Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic 375 H&H with Leupold Ultralight Scope & New S&W 460V

    My weatherby vanguard did this 3 shot group about a month ago, in 257 weatherby mag. Very underrated rifles and the 3 position safety is very nice.
  6. R

    Cold burnishing of metal parts

    I’ve not heard of that brand but I’ve used cold blueing to touch up rusty spots on May barrels. It’s not as durable against rust as hot blue but it’s better than bare chrome moly. It’s very easy to apply and the color is a little more electric blue than black blue, but if it were me I’d send it...
  7. R

    25-06 or 257 Wby?

    There’s a handful of reamers out there with freebore for the 257 such that the 135 Berger has .020 jump while the boat tail junction lines up with the neck shoulder junction. Combine that with a 1:7 twist barrel and you’ll be off to the races with no fireforming required like with the AI, and...
  8. R

    25-06 or 257 Wby?

    If he’s looking into rebarreling as per the original post there’s nothing stopping him from going with a 257 wby with a 1:7 and running 135gr Bergers in it, or other high BC bullet. No need to step up to 6.5 diameter and lose the quarter bore charm.
  9. R

    25-06 or 257 Wby?

    I currently own one and load for both, and have owned both. 25-06 is the practical option if you need factory ammo. But 257 weatherby is the sexy option. Peterson makes headstamped brass for 257 weatherby that is incredible and is readily available and not too expensive for what you’re getting...
  10. R

    I used to really hate the .308

    Didn’t know Barbie made rifles!
  11. R

    AI & Reloading - Better double check it!

    I'm sorry but that's pretty funny to me, had you googled it instead of asking AI you would've gotten the correct answer the first time around. Out of curiosity I just googled "what torque for picatinny rail" and for me the first, second, and 3rd results all had answers from 23-30 inch pounds...
  12. R

    I used to really hate the .308

    The 260 Remington SAAMI spec for twist rate was too slow, could only shoot light or medium weight bullets, and didn’t have a long enough throat to seat high BC bullets out properly. You can do a custom 260 Remington that fixes all of those issues, but then it’s no longer a gun for the masses...
  13. R

    Jeffery 475 no. 2

    Which one(s) in your collection fit you best? Specifically of the vintage variety
  14. R

    Jeffery 475 no. 2

    That engraving is something else, beautiful gun
  15. R

    AI & Reloading - Better double check it!

    What’s scary is that wasn’t a single AI. They tested every major model at the time, and almost every single one chose to attempt to kill the simulated person trying to shut it off.
 
Top