Recent content by realsamthompson

  1. realsamthompson

    Sako 90 or Steyr SM 12?

    They are both identical 90 “Adventures” bought not long after the 90 was launched… and are both accurate rifles for sure. The finish (cerakote on metalwork) is the least robust coating I have ever seen, and the grey coating/painting on the stock is also wearing very hard… they are now 2 seasons...
  2. realsamthompson

    Sako 90 or Steyr SM 12?

    Post 85 I would go Steyr every time now. Speaking as someone that regrets buying x2 90s… built quality isn’t there any more. I’ve seen a few of the newer steyrs now and I’m very impressed with build quality and accuracy.
  3. realsamthompson

    338 Federal

    As an update and appreciation of the help offered on this thread I thought I better update on my plan…. Having dithered over a 338 or 9.3 for this task, I’ve actually decided to dust off a Blaser R8 I have in the cupboard in .300wsm (one of my old favourite cartridges) and load up some heavy...
  4. realsamthompson

    extended floorplates for various actions

    One more down would be great, it’s a .416 Rigby I have.
  5. realsamthompson

    extended floorplates for various actions

    Could you do one for a Ruger Safari magnum?
  6. realsamthompson

    Let’s be honest….accuracy off the sticks

    In 15 years of guiding visiting clients and guests I have decided that most people claim (and often believe) their accuracy to be 1/3 of what it actually is. In the field, on average, their group size doubles or triples in size. Very few people practice enough. Closer is not better in my...
  7. realsamthompson

    338 Federal

    Certainly not the case with Inverness, they are very practical, we are probably quite lucky in that regard. That’s exactly the sort of information I’m looking for thank you!
  8. realsamthompson

    338 Federal

    I’m considering rebarreling a Tikka into 338 Federal with a 16-20” barrel. I have no experience in the calibre but like the look of the terminal performance. My idea would be to shoot 180-250g monolithic bullets (Barnes TTSX, Virtus, NorthFork) predominately for red deer inside 300m but also...
  9. realsamthompson

    Kindle

    Thanks all! A couple more Ron Thompsons and Ivory’s ghosts dowloaded.
  10. realsamthompson

    Kindle

    I have a long train journey tomorrow and wondering if anyone can recommend any African Hunting books that might be on Kindle?
  11. realsamthompson

    Ruger RSM .416 Rigby, preparations for Africa

    The mounts from Alaskan Arms arrived a couple of days ago, and I am very impressed with them. It took a bit of fiddle to get the contact paper in but the machining is obviously superb. I was shocked that I found the scope to actually improve the look of the gun, I think partly that is because...
  12. realsamthompson

    Ruger RSM .416 Rigby, preparations for Africa

    Haha! That’s quite right. I have plans for a buffalo & zebra hunt in March of 2027 in RSA, and then a plan forming with some friends for another trip to Mozambique in either November ‘27 or ‘28. I’m also very keen for a European brown bear at some point in the future (likely Romania) as well...
  13. realsamthompson

    Ruger RSM .416 Rigby, preparations for Africa

    I have some time to kill while waiting at the garage this morning and I thought I would do a small write up on my new (to me) rifle which I can add to as I go forward, with the hope to have it ready for a buffalo & zebra hunt in spring of ‘27. The rifle came to me through some good fortune and...
  14. realsamthompson

    Will reloading disapear with the new too lazy to do it generation

    I guide a lot of hunters with handloads, probably 30-40 individuals a season. It is unusual to see (less than 50%) someone who is shooting hand loaded ammunition which is more consistent than high quality factory ammo. I have only realised this after starting to use a garmin chrono (previous 2...
  15. realsamthompson

    Will reloading disapear with the new too lazy to do it generation

    I think the consistency of factory ammunition has improved so much that it’s less relevant now. More/better technology in terms of chronographs etc also means a lot of people have realised their reloads are actually not as good as the factory alternative.
 
Top