Recent content by R eight

  1. R eight

    The Cannon Myth: Why I'd Rather Hit Than Bruise

    I’d happily hunt anything with a 375 H&H or a 9.3x62 with suitable bullets….. but, I’d be ultra careful to only take shots when the opportunity for perfect shot placement presented. However, now that I’ve recently had the opportunity to get up close and personal with elephant…. I’m firmly in...
  2. R eight

    What is Your Nemesis Animal?

    3 tags for my brown bear. First trip, never saw a bear. Second trip I passed on a young bear… no regrets about that. Third trip and just as time was running out…. I finally got my boar.
  3. R eight

    How soon after cataract surgery before you can shoot rifles again?

    I had my trifocals fitted around 8 years ago. I think I waited around about a month before I started shooting again. But my main concern was keeping dust and grime away from my eyes, not recoil. I
  4. R eight

    Retirement and next chapter

    I retired just over 5 years ago at the age of 61. It took me a couple of months to really accept that I wasn’t on temporary leave… but retired. Once I accepted that and stopped feeling guilty about not working I took to retirement like a duck to water. I’ve got a mild training routine for 3...
  5. R eight

    Where to move to?

    Stay where you are mate (y) We’ve already got too many bloody poms here in Australia ;):ROFLMAO: But seriously….the commonwealth countries have gone mad of late when it comes to oppressive restrictions on firearms. I’m a Queenslander born and bred and I can hardly recognise the state of my...
  6. R eight

    Rigby would like to know your caliber preference(s) for a Highland Stalker model without iron sights

    Next thing you’ll be asking for is a stainless steel rifle with pearl inlay in a plastic stock…. In 35 Whelan or 270 Winchester :ROFLMAO:
  7. R eight

    View out the window- Post your pics

    If they hold my beer I’ll fly it for them :D Beer Bottle:
  8. R eight

    View out the window- Post your pics

    I woke up to a glorious day in Katmai National Park. Yesterday, and only 50 miles West of here it was a wet and miserable day on Kodiak Island. Well, I guess nobody comes to Alaska for the weather.
  9. R eight

    POLL: What's the best .458 solid bullet for Elephant?

    I’m Australian. As you would expect plenty available here. As to the USA….. I’m surprised they are not readily available. However I don’t have any information to assist. Hopefully someone on here may know of a US source.
  10. R eight

    POLL: What's the best .458 solid bullet for Elephant?

    You need to include the Woodleigh Hydro in your selection. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010844022?srsltid=AU7gw4UmRrgrzJ1hMpTAXk_XsdcmLYj5myvH-tURbKKdJwNgd9K60sU_&pid=110741
  11. R eight

    Exporting firearms from Australia

    Did ABF apply on your behalf?
  12. R eight

    Exporting firearms from Australia

    Nah. I really don’t think so. Would apply if selling, or supplying military equipment but not for the temporary import of sporting firearms. I seriously doubt that ABF and DoD would both make such a major stuff up. There would be dozens of RPG’s issued for sporting fires to go to Zim from Oz...
  13. R eight

    Exporting firearms from Australia

    DoD approval is obtained by ABF when you submit your application. Now, I don’t work in ABF or DoD or DFAT. However, I have enough experience with government agencies to know that not everyone who works for them is up to speed with their policies. So, with that caveat in place, I’d suggest that...
  14. R eight

    Future One-Rifle PG-DG Setup

    I’d suggest a Blaser R8 with a 375 and 300 barrel. It can’t be beat for options regarding sights/scopes/reddots. If you’re a dyed in the wool tradition man then buy a bolt action 375 H&H in what ever rifle you like. But, the R8 would be the most practical option.
 
Top