Recent content by philheise

  1. philheise

    Dimensions of a full mount gemsbok

    I usually have the taxidermy done in South Africa. Over the years I have compared the two options and usually the total costs work out to be very similar (one has less expensive taxidermy costs while the other involves cheaper shipping). Just my experiences. So I prefer South African artists...
  2. philheise

    Dimensions of a full mount gemsbok

    Ham, thanks for the info (truly). I had found similar numbers online. But I was hoping that someone who actually has a full mount could give me more specific numbers. Basically I am looking for the measurements of the invisible box inside which it would stand (knowing there will be...
  3. philheise

    Dimensions of a full mount gemsbok

    I am thinking of having a gemsbok prepared in a simple full mount: standing with his head up in a normal resting position. Nothing fancy. Not rearing up on the hind legs or anything like that. Just standing there, looking regal (I've attached a photo of the basic pose that I saw on the...
  4. philheise

    Procedure for claiming rifle in Johannesburg

    Thanks! I am paying a service to have my permit pre-approved. I was just just curious if I needed to sign for the rifle before leaving the pre-Customs area (I remember having to do this on hunts in 2014 and before).
  5. philheise

    Procedure for claiming rifle in Johannesburg

    I will be flying Delta into O.R. Tambo Airport in Johannesburg at the end of June. It has been several years since my last hunt and I have a few questions about the current procedure to claim one's rifle. Do I need to sign for my rifle before going through Customs and heading to the SAPS...
  6. philheise

    REPORT: Has Anyone Used Splitting Image Taxidermy?

    Since my original reply to this post several years ago, I have used Splitting Image twice more. In every case, the work done has been excellent, trophies arrived without issue, and I have received incredible customer service. I won't say that others have not had the experiences they report but...
  7. philheise

    .416 or larger in left hand - recommendations??

    Does anybody have any recommendations for finding a left-handed rifle in .416 or larger caliber?
  8. philheise

    REPORT: Has Anyone Used Splitting Image Taxidermy?

    I used them on my last hunt. They mounted and packed a full mount warthog, klipspringer and springhare, shoulder mounts of a bushbuck, blue wildebeest, and buffalo as well as a number of backskins and skulls. Quality of taxidermy was excellent, everything arrived in perfect shape, and it was...
  9. philheise

    Worried, need advice.....

    At the risk of adding fuel to the fire, I would like to contribute to this thread. I have hunted with Hunt the Sun on two occasions and am returning for a third time next year. I hunted both the Northern Cape and the Eastern Cape properties on both trips. My experiences were in direct...
  10. philheise

    Left Handed shooters club!

    Here are my rifles with the bolt on the correct (= left!) side. From top to bottom: CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .375 H&H, Savage Model 111 in .300 Win Mag, and Savage Model 10 in .243 Win.
  11. philheise

    Woman Stops Grizzly Attack With 25 Cal Pistol

    This is a story of self control and marksmanship with an itsy bitsy shooter by a woman against a fierce predator. What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself? The Beretta Jetfire. Here is her story in her own words: While out hiking in Alberta Canada with my boyfriend we were...
  12. philheise

    Lefties on TV, why so many?

    Let's all remember our basic anatomy and physiology. The left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side. So us lefties are the only ones in our right minds!
  13. Eastern Cape nyala

    Eastern Cape nyala

    Nyala taken in the Eastern Cape, South Africa in May 2012. PH was Mike Birch of Hunt the Sun Safaris. Range was 33 yards.
  14. Eastern Cape baboon

    Eastern Cape baboon

    Chacma baboon taken in the Eastern Cape, South Africa in May 2012. PH was Mike Birch of Hunt the Sun Safaris. Range was 18 yards.
 
Top