Recent content by MaineMan2

  1. MaineMan2

    Any Sako rifle fans on AH? Let's see them

    I like post-cross hair reticles and have several but not in that Redfield. It has a nice duplex reticle. My first centerfire rifle is a sporterized Mauser 98 with a Lyman Alaskan sporting a German No. 1 reticle.
  2. MaineMan2

    What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

    Angus also are fence busters/jumpers. My Dad settled on Belted Galloways 50 years ago because they are easier to manage and friendlier. They also tend to calve well and very rarely need a vet for birthing. The downside is that they take too long to reach full size - making them a breed...
  3. MaineMan2

    What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

    I spent a day and a half stalking eland but we could not find the bull the PH was looking for. We did keep finding the breeder bull for that property and he was a monster. Take this 2,000+ pound Belted Galloway. Make his hind legs 1-1/2 times longer. Stretch his front legs by 2x. Instead of a...
  4. MaineMan2

    Rifle Weight for Plains Game Hunt

    Thanks guys! I should have been clear about using a suppressor here for target shooting but probably not on hunt in Africa. A 20” barrel just gives up too much velocity IMO. A folding stock could make a 26” barrel easier to maneuver, even with a K-can. Scope probably will be my Zeiss Conquest...
  5. MaineMan2

    Rifle Weight for Plains Game Hunt

    I know that there are many variables: location, shot distances, stalking vs. shooting out of a bakkie, and especially my physical condition. For a plains game safari mostly stalking on foot for final approach and 3-5 miles a day of walking, does a 10-1/2 pound rifle sound reasonable? I’m...
  6. MaineMan2

    Any Sako rifle fans on AH? Let's see them

    A few years ago I went to Cabela’s to look at a Ruger M77 RSI. Didn’t like the finish in the metal, but this Sako A III (late 1970s) in 270 Winchester was next to the Ruger. I found an old Redfield Widefield scope with the TV screen ocular for it. Last summer, I put in a “throw away” bid on...
  7. MaineMan2

    What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

    I am surprised 7mm Rem Mag doesn’t appear more often in this thread. From what I can see, a 175 grain A-Frame or TSX going 2,900 at the muzzle would be flat shooting and penetrate well. I would want something bigger/more powerful for giraffe but am not interested in killing one. (Had an...
  8. MaineMan2

    SOUTH AFRICA: Spear Safaris - Greater Kruger / North Limpopo

    Fantastic narrative and photos! We also used Africa Sky’s “expedited” service on my hunt in May and I highly recommend it.
  9. MaineMan2

    SOUTH AFRICA: First Hunt Ever - Limpopo Province

    Ha! Those 3 are at the top of my list if I ever make it back.
  10. Sable Hunt South Africa

    Sable Hunt South Africa

  11. Sable Hunt South Africa

    Sable Hunt South Africa

  12. Warthog Hunt South Africa

    Warthog Hunt South Africa

  13. Impala Hunt South Africa

    Impala Hunt South Africa

  14. Zebra Hunt South Africa

    Zebra Hunt South Africa

  15. Buffalo Hunt South Africa

    Buffalo Hunt South Africa

 
Top