Recent content by jruby

  1. J

    Does anyone reload 358 Norma Mag?

    I have done this as well. I also do it for my 404 BJExpress without issue. I have fire formed several hundred cases doing this process. I have never heard of an issue where fire forming 338 brass in a 358 norma has caused problems.
  2. J

    Standard Deviation

    I have been reloading since the mid 80"s and I have reloaded pistol and centerfire cartridges. My primary goal is accuracy. I have found that the lower the standard deviation the more accurate I am. Then I worry about velocity last. I am willing to give up velocity to get accuracy. My goal is...
  3. J

    wildcat idea: a standard-action beltless .358/250gr/2800fps (e.g., parent case of 8x68S, 9.3x64, or .375 Ruger)

    I have a 358 norma magnum built on a pre 64 model 70. To.make ammunition i run a 338 wm case into a 358 die and have been doing this for over 15 years without issue. Yes the shoulder mover forward but has not caused a problem. I have resized several hundred cases this way and have had no...
  4. J

    wildcat idea: a standard-action beltless .358/250gr/2800fps (e.g., parent case of 8x68S, 9.3x64, or .375 Ruger)

    Is that why we have so many problems with the 375 and 300 H&H cartridges?
  5. J

    wildcat idea: a standard-action beltless .358/250gr/2800fps (e.g., parent case of 8x68S, 9.3x64, or .375 Ruger)

    I am perfectly happy with the 358 Norma or STA if I need more than the 35 Whelen. Still dont understand the belt issue it has been around a long time on many of the most popular cartridges. What is the problem with the belt - a real problem?
  6. J

    Classic stalking rifles - today

    I took a model 50 JC Higgins action and screwed a 7x57 mauser barrel on it. Put iron sights on it and installed a 2-7 leupold on it. It has a 24'" barrel Bedded the rifle into the original stock. I dont know the definition of a stocking rifle .Based on reading here this sounds like it might fit...
  7. J

    Politics

    You have him on ignore yet your conversing with him Your ignore button must be broke.
  8. J

    270 Win

    I would hunt any elk with a 150g premium bullet. Shot placement is always important. I would prefer a 30-06 though.
  9. J

    Who also shoots smaller gauges?

    I have a 20 guage victor sarasqueta sterlingworth imported by Stoeger. It is a sidelock with a greener cross bolt. It is a beautiful little SxS. I dont think I could find a better well balanced gun. Significantly smaller than my other 12 guage side by side .
  10. J

    Politics

    Who thinks Trump will leave the Iran war for the next POTUS to resolve like he did Afghanistan?
  11. J

    6.5

    +1 for the swede
  12. J

    8x64 Brenneke....Who has one ?

    To me it looks about the equivalent of an 8mm-06.
  13. J

    28 ga the most underrated and fun shotgun you will ever shoot

    Speaking for myself I find no reason to go to a smaller guage than 20 I have been shooting 12 guage slugs since I was 14. Guess this is good news for those that like sub 20 guage as I won't be competing to buy one
  14. J

    At what point/caliber is a recoil pad necessary vs a steel butt plate?

    I had a mint ( collector grade ) remington model 30 in 30-06. I had a metal crescent butt plate. It was no fun to shoot. I let it go on down the road. Really qas a beautiful rifle. No more metal butt plates for me.
  15. J

    on a lighter note...

    Remember getting plowed at the "Horse and Cow" and having to take a piss so bad in my cracker Jack's. Hated those damn buttons.
 
Top