Recent content by Gomer

  1. Gomer

    Moving from lead to copper?

    I use the 150gr TTSX in one of my 30-06s. Incidentally, the load gets an average velocity of 3006 fps. I could almost do all of my non-DG hunting with the 30-06. I have an M70 that uses a 180gr A-Frame load, and an M700 that uses that TTSX load.
  2. Gomer

    Moving from lead to copper?

    I live in the US and my state tends to follow on California’s coattails when it comes to firearms. I have been anticipating a lead ban. I haven’t shot anything bigger than elk with a copper bullet. Most of the animals I shot with the TSX were deer. I don’t think they kill as fast as...
  3. Gomer

    R8 in Wetter Climates

    I’m not sure you would want to add material to the bore of a rifle. But, I have heard of treatments that help reduce fouling by filling in pores and scratches in a barrel. I could see this as some form of corrosion protection because those same pores can hold moisture. As far as coating an...
  4. Gomer

    Old Hornaday 338 interlocks

    I remember people complaining around 2010 about them seeming softer. No one was able to really provide examples. I’ve used the 225gr Interlock and the 200gr Speer Hot Cors on deer without any issues (duh).
  5. Gomer

    DSC & SCI 2027 AH Dinners

  6. Gomer

    SWAG and gut feeling when taking the shot?

    Yep, I flubbed what was a totally makeable shot. I came around a big basalt outcropping and spotted a mule deer buck, perfectly broadside on the opposite ridge…..about 600 feet below me. Lasered him at 413 yards. I had a perfect flat spot to go prone. I wanted to make a high shoulder shot so...
  7. Gomer

    R8 in Wetter Climates

    My house is literally on saltwater. Stainless…..isn’t.
  8. Gomer

    DSC & SCI 2027 AH Dinners

  9. Gomer

    How Do You Choose Which Rifle to Take on Safari? (Not Caliber)

    When I first joined the site, I had to book my first safari. My intention was to take my 7x57. My Dad then passed down a pre-64 M70 in 30-06 and I was the third generation in my family to use it. I knew then I had to take it. Now I am booked, and the rifle shoots amazing. But then I bought...
  10. Gomer

    What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

    That being said, I paid good money for my 375 H&H and fully intend to use it!
  11. Gomer

    What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

    Ever since I went to a 200gr 30 caliber bullet, I don’t really see a need to go to anything in between 30 and 375. They penetrate very well. A 30-06 with a 200gr A-Frame or Partition at 2650-2700 is a beast of a load.
  12. Gomer

    375 H&H Brass

    I bought some!
  13. Gomer

    300 Win mag load development

    I’m lucky in that where I live doesn’t experience extreme temperature fluctuations. Maybe a 25 degree swing from winter to summer, and it never gets cold enough to freeze. I could see it being a problem where its over 100 in the summer and there is snow by the beginning of November.
  14. Gomer

    300 Win mag load development

    I forget about that. I have 30lbs of it. I use it for just about every overbore cartridge I have.
  15. Gomer

    300 Win mag load development

    Powders I use: RELOADER 26! Jacketed bullets 180gr and up, mono bullets 165gr and up. H4831 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast. Reloader 22 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast. Reloader 19 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast. H4350 on lighter options up to 168gr (monos) Reloader 17 on...
 
Top