Recent content by DocHolliday

  1. D

    New Member, New M70 Cape Buff Edition

    Pictures please!
  2. D

    New to me DWM 416 Taylor :)

    Congratulations on a beauty! Varget works really well in mine. See if you can get your hands on Woodleigh's reloading manual. It has a fair amount of data. Raven Rock had them last I checked. Good luck!
  3. D

    Swift 7MM 160GR A-FRAME

    I have used the 160 AF's in my Ruger #1 .280 REM. 2875. One hole 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Devastating on deer/pigs. I seated to cannelure so, I know I had a lot of freebore.
  4. D

    Any use Miwall Corp.?

    I bought primers from them without issue. Shipping costs weren't insane then.
  5. D

    ZIMBABWE: Chirundu, Zimbabwe: (Wet) Dreams On The Zambezi River

    Congratulations on a beautiful buff. Johnny is a prince of a guy. My son and I had a long conversation with him at DSC. I'm guessing that you're happy with the Taylor?
  6. D

    30-06...again

    The 180 gr NAB @ 2400 is mean on wildebeest- ANY plains game for that matter. Will smoke a big bull eland, She'll be good to at least 250 yds and probably 300 as far as expansion goes (IIRC NAB's expand to 1800-1900 fps impact velocity). My African experience is that heavy for caliber well...
  7. D

    416 Taylor opinions

    The Taylor will do anything big game that you wish or need to do. Mine runs 2375-2390 with 400 gr pills. How many buffs have died from those exact ballistics in 404 J, 416 RM or 416 Rigby. Along with less powder and recoil.
  8. D

    What did you reload today?

    416 Taylor 400 gr HDGX range loads. 375 Whelen 300 gr AF
  9. D

    Who's ready for the Dallas Safari Club this weekend

    I was there Saturday. I was in ATL in February. My estimation is that it was a little less than half the size of the winter show!
  10. D

    Easiest Way to make 458 Winchester Brass?

    Doug, as stated above, .458WM brass has been unobtanium for a year at least.
  11. D

    Easiest Way to make 458 Winchester Brass?

    Been that way for a year. I'm resorting to using 338WM for my 416T. (Proper head stamp 416T is >$4.00/pc. I'll save that for Africa!). Good luck!
  12. D

    Preferred bullet for 416 Taylor

    Mine loves the 400 AF. This is a 5 shot function test:
  13. D

    Anyone know about a bullet crimp grove tool ?

    Damn, for$3K I better be doing a whole lot of canneluring!
  14. D

    Anyone know about a bullet crimp grove tool ?

    CH Tool & Die Co.
  15. D

    Wanted left handed model 70 375 or up. Or left handed CZ.

    You are very right about rebarreling the Rugers. I did this with a couple of MkII's. A $600 .270 became a .375 Whelen and a $800 .300WM became a .416 Taylor. IMO, the repurposing of a standard length action makes the most economic sense in regards to left hand shooters. Watching the trading...
 
Top