Recent content by DLSJR

  1. DLSJR

    Last Minute Brown Bear Hunt Offer 2026 Only

    Marius, I have a couple questions. First, can one bring his own rifle to Romania? Second, if there is no success after 3 days can I add extra days at that time or does that need to be arranged in advance? 3 days seems a very short time and Romania is a long way from USA so wouldn’t want to...
  2. DLSJR

    The Cannon Myth: Why I'd Rather Hit Than Bruise

    Having shot a buffalo with my 338 and watching it go 30 yards and tip over, it definitely works IF you’re using a top quality bullet and put the first shot in the right place. BUT, I’ll never forget my thought when we dug my first bullet, a 225 grain North Fork solid, out of the offside...
  3. DLSJR

    Parkwest Arms

    If you want a 416 with noticeably less recoil, have a 416 Taylor built. It’s the most efficient 416, driving a 400 grain bullet to the same 2,400 velocity with about 7-8 grains less powder than a Remington or Hoffman chambering.
  4. DLSJR

    Parkwest Arms

    The single best thing you can do with that rifle is replace the factory wood stock with a Brown Precision or McMillan foam filled fiberglass stock. You’ll be impressed with how much less felt recoil there is with a quality fiberglass stock. The factory Winchester stocks have a small bearing...
  5. DLSJR

    The Cannon Myth: Why I'd Rather Hit Than Bruise

    I think scenario has a lot to do with how a buffalo reacts to taking a shot. In the case of the one I shot recently, he was alone, totally relaxed and unaware of us until my bullet struck him. He appeared hurt way worse than I expected, in obvious distress immediately and not using his right...
  6. DLSJR

    The Cannon Myth: Why I'd Rather Hit Than Bruise

    Now that I kinda dropped a bomb into the discussion, indulge me while I offer some thoughts that are no more valid than anyone else’s. First, there is a huge difference in what constitutes an ideal Dangerous Game rifle for a client vs. for a PH. When I’ve hunted dangerous game, the rifles...
  7. DLSJR

    The Cannon Myth: Why I'd Rather Hit Than Bruise

    Before I post my own thoughts I have to reply to AZDAVE’s post, as it made me smile. I recently finished a very enjoyable buffalo hunt that checked all those boxes, except for #3. Instead of using the biggest rifle I shoot accurately , which would be a 470, I showed up with the smallest...
  8. DLSJR

    How soon after cataract surgery before you can shoot rifles again?

    I had cataract surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and this was a topic of discussion. I had a May of ‘25 buffalo hunt booked and wanted to make sure there was enough time from my 2nd eye procedure until I touched off rounds in my .416. Doc said to give it a month, so we scheduled the surgeries for...
  9. DLSJR

    Eland - Who Loves Hunting Them?

    Hunting Lord Derby is truly a privilege! This bull was old, heavily broomed; a wonderful bull I was fortunate to take. And a big Zambian Livingstone bull.
  10. DLSJR

    MOZAMBIQUE: BOTSWANA: SOUTH AFRICA: Mozambique, Botswana, & South Africa - In Progress

    If you’re flying regular economy, 68 A&K are the best seats n the plane.
  11. DLSJR

    Leopard cartridge choice; Poll

    I voted 338 because that’s what I’ve used on 2 of my leopards. A 225 grain Bearclaw was a great bullet. My 338 is what I normally use as my light rifle in Africa and it’s great for just about anything but it’s way more than needed for a leopard. A 270, 308 or 30-06 with a Nosler Partition...
  12. DLSJR

    MOZAMBIQUE: BOTSWANA: SOUTH AFRICA: Mozambique, Botswana, & South Africa - In Progress

    You’re going to enjoy a truly stellar safari. If Coutada 10 is anything like 9, you’re in for a special treat. You are correct, Emirates is truly a superior option for African travel. I hope you’re in either Business or Premium Economy, as both classes of service are excellent. What are...
  13. DLSJR

    what make a good buffalo, and a good buffalo hunt

    Stuart’s questions are timely for me, as I just returned home a few days ago from a hunt that fits both the definition of ‘A good buffalo’ as well as ‘A good buffalo hunt’. I’ll be filing a hunt report soon, but the kinda short version is I was hunting Coutada 9 in Mozambique with Neil...
 
Top