Zimbabwe hunting - How traveling to Harare Zimbabwe is?

We had a number of clients fly into Victoria Falls from Washington Dulles with Ethiopian Airlines. They were all impressed! I would definitely look at them as another option. No issues with rifles

Your referenced articles are referring to tickets booked online through websites. An online travel agency (OTA) is not really a travel agency. It’s just a web portal. Yes, using those can be a nightmare for changes and refunds.

The travel agencies mentioned in this thread are real agents that can access the airlines directly while you sit on hold. They also have better access to multiple airlines at the same time on complicated trips and can trace any lost bags while you continue with your itinerary or are out of communication while onboard or in the bush. I get full points and use those for other flights without guns.

Your referenced articles are referring to tickets booked online through websites. An online travel agency (OTA) is not really a travel agency. It’s just a web portal. Yes, using those can be a nightmare for changes and refunds.

The travel agencies mentioned in this thread are real agents that can access the airlines directly while you sit on hold. They also have better access to multiple airlines at the same time on complicated trips and can trace any lost bags while you continue with your itinerary or are out of communication while onboard or in the bush. I get full points and use those for other flights without guns.
An OTA and TA can still do whatever they want. They are not bound by the federal laws that the airlines are regarding cancelations and

An OTA and TA can still do whatever they want. They are not bound by the federal laws that the airlines are regarding cancelations and refunds.

If you book with travel with guns can you call the airline and change your ticket? The answer is no. Can you jump on the United website change your ticket look for a better flight a standard trip or do whatever you want in 5 minutes? The answer is no. So if you want to change your ticket in South Africa and extend your trip and it's 4 AM in the United States can you get it done in 5 min?

If you want to disagree with some of the smartest most experienced travelers in the world oh well. If you would ask questions instead of argue, I'd tell you how to fly down their 1st class on $26000 plane tickets for free all the time.

Is it really that hard to go check your gun in at the airport? You need to pay somebody for that? You do realize there's only a few airlines in the world that require any extra paperwork? And honestly you don't even need a gun agent in Africa. You give up some rights by hiring a travel agent and there's nothing they do that you can't do by yourself in 5 minutes. But then again some people take A1040EZ to Walmart in Warren Buffett does his own taxes. To each his own.

I would concur that it makes good sense to use a TA. I have made well over twenty trips to Africa. Before retiring I flew 150,000 miles per year, much of it international. I have more international travel experience than most. I use a TA when traveling to Africa on Safari. I don’t understand the reluctance to do so. The incremental cost is negligible.

I have used @TRAVEL EXPRESS and Gracy. They are both excellent.
Can I ask what do you gain?

Here is a quiz.

Find the paperwork for traveling with guns (need to be pre-approved) for Turkish airlines. I mean find the one for foreigners traveling from USA not Turkish citizens traveling from Turkey. ;)

An OTA and TA can still do whatever they want. They are not bound by the federal laws that the airlines are regarding cancelations and refunds.

If you book with travel with guns can you call the airline and change your ticket? The answer is no. Can you jump on the United website change your ticket look for a better flight a standard trip or do whatever you want in 5 minutes? The answer is no. So if you want to change your ticket in South Africa and extend your trip and it's 4 AM in the United States can you get it done in 5 min?

If you want to disagree with some of the smartest most experienced travelers in the world oh well. If you would ask questions instead of argue, I'd tell you how to fly down their 1st class on $26000 plane tickets for free all the time.

Is it really that hard to go check your gun in at the airport? You need to pay somebody for that? You do realize there's only a few airlines in the world that require any extra paperwork? And honestly you don't even need a gun agent in Africa. You give up some rights by hiring a travel agent and there's nothing they do that you can't do by yourself in 5 minutes. But then again some people take A1040EZ to Walmart in Warren Buffett does his own taxes. To each his own.

I don’t hunt in South Africa and I avoid JNB. I hunt wilderness in Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, CAR, Botswana, etc…. There’s no cell service or internet at the camps I hunt from so I use a sat phone or InReach to message Gracy Travel. I can’t sit on the phone or access airline websites where I hunt. Even with a sat phone it is impossible to be on hold because of dropped sat phone calls.

Yes, I can access my reservations and make changes myself if I have signal. Gracy doesn’t tie up my reservations. You are referring to OTAs. For $300, I want the service Shawn provides when I am out of touch. Since I am already paying her, she might as well do the gun paperwork since it is included.

As for arguing, I didn’t think we were arguing. My situation is different because like I said, I don’t hunt South Africa or areas with signal.

Nobody has any access to any airplane that you don't have that's ridiculous. It is 100% not true. I guarantee I can find a cheaper fais cheaper fair or a better routine than they can. You can search using the ITA matrix Which will give you every routing and fare in the world.

Call travel with guns and let me know if they can book this for free for you. That's how I fly down to South Africa everytime free. Full bed and bathroom also. Booked hundreds of International flights for myself and friends in America and South Africa over the last 15 years. I gave you some good advice.

I don’t hunt in South Africa and I avoid JNB. I hunt wilderness in Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, CAR, Botswana, etc…. There’s no cell service or internet at the camps I hunt from so I use a sat phone or InReach to message Gracy Travel. I can’t sit on the phone or access airline websites where I hunt. Even with a sat phone it is impossible to be on hold because of dropped sat phone calls.
I think this needs to be emphasized. I am also not glamping with Wifi when I hunt. Other than inReach+ I have no access to the outside world when hunting. If there is an issue like a cancellation when in the bush then the travel agent can reach me and we can make a plan. The $200 for Travel Express or $300 for others is money well spent, think of it as an insurance policy. Also, when spending anywhere from mid 5 figures to low 6 figures for a hunt I am not going to sweat the agency fee, my time is more valuable.

If you are remote And don't have somebody who can help you on the other Side then that probably makes sense and the costs are worth it

Well this sure has been an interesting thread... All I can say is I have no problem explaining any and all price differences in what I offer vs what's online. But someone has to first ask the question and give me the opportunity to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Most of the time I can match any online option, plus my fee. And I'm very upfront in saying that my agency fee is $150 per person for a standard economy class ticket/ $200 for business class.

If anyone is curious as to what a travel agent offers, please reach out! I'm happy to chat.

Also keep in mind nothing travel with guns does can't be done by yourself very simply. Taking a gun to Africa is not complicated. I do at once it twice every single year. 5 minutes for the work. Last time in Africa I changed my ticket to stay an extra couple days with 5 minutes of work online could not and would not have happened with a travel agent. Once you have a travel agent only they can change your ticket you can no longer do it online or call the airline. Every single travel expert will tell you not to use a travel agent. Lastly if you use a travel agent you don't get your status with the hotel and you don't collect points. https://karryon.com.au/community/7-reasons-why-you-should-never-book-with-a-travel-agent/
Completely incorrect. Only an agent can attach tickets from two different airlines into one ticket. If you provide your membership number you do get points for airlines and hotels from an agent. You can’t change tickets for three different airlines in 5 minutes. Try hours these days. If you are on one airline sure. Most of us don’t live in Atlanta and only hunt Limpopo.
Plus you have completely missed my point which is beginning to piss me off. MY POINT IS MOST PEOPLE ARE NOT LIKE YOU AND I WHO HUNT THE WORLD MULTIPLE TIMES PER YEAR AND CAN HANDLE MOST ANY SCENARIO OURSELVES. MOST OF THE FOLKS ON AH HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AFRICA OR HAVE BEEN ONCE OR TWICE. A VERY DIFFERENT SCENARIO AND THEY WILL BE HURT BY YOUR ADVICE AND THE REPORTS PROVE IT,
Regards,
Philip

Well this sure has been an interesting thread... All I can say is I have no problem explaining any and all price differences in what I offer vs what's online. But someone has to first ask the question and give me the opportunity to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. Most of the time I can match any online option, plus my fee. And I'm very upfront in saying that my agency fee is $150 per person for a standard economy class ticket/ $200 for business class.

If anyone is curious as to what a travel agent offers, please reach out! I'm happy to chat.
Thanks Jennifer!

Exactly! Such misinformation here.

Incorrect again. If you have an account with the airline, and the agent has booked the ticket, you can go online and change your seat or anything else. You are simply wrong about what you are saying. I can not politely explain it any other way.

Incorrect again. If you have an account with the airline, and the agent has booked the ticket, you can go online and change your seat or anything else. You are simply wrong about what you are saying. I can not politely explain it any other way.
Yep. Travel Express booked (as they have done in the past) the multi airline, multi country Africa trips for me this year and my significant other. I went and set up the seating etc.. myself as I wanted to see the seating chart in front of me as we picked our seats.

Doug
There is lots of bad advice on here and some outright misrepresentations on the use of a TA. For every one of these guys who is screaming that you are an idiot for using a TA there are 100 reports of bad do-it-yourself travel planning. They wind up on an airline that does not fly guns, they don’t understand what airlines are actually reliable, and some lose their entire ticket. Then they loudly proclaim “It’s too hard to take your own rifle”.
One time I didn’t take my TA’s advice and I got burned badly. I used points and a companion pass to fly my wife and I from SJT-DFW-IAD and then paid for tickets on Austrian to Vienna. DFW got fogged in and we were stuck. Since the tickets were not bought entirely by an agent and attached we lost the Austrian tickets and had to scramble to get new flights for both of us the next day. It cost me about $7000 to try to save a buck. Our luggage didn’t arrive for 3 days and my rifle was on the loose for 16 days!
Those of us who have been around the world can do whatever we choose but for the inexperienced please use a TA. I am sick of your screwed up travel reports!
Regards,
Philip
My experience has been the same as yours Philip. I appreciate the assistance of good TAs. What’s curious is the vehemence people have regarding this topic. I‘ve taken part in a few spirited debates on AH. For the most part, people tend to enjoy the exchange. Including topics like bullet selection, appropriate calibers for DG…..even politics! But mention using TAs and one is charged with doling out bad advice. No recognition that people have different opinions and experiences. You’re sharing bad advice that will lead others astray. As my teenage daughter used to say…..”whatever.”

We had a number of clients fly into Victoria Falls from Washington Dulles with Ethiopian Airlines. They were all impressed! I would definitely look at them as another option. No issues with rifles
Only bax part Is ADD. They're using all brand new 787s nice planes
My experience has been the same as yours Philip. I appreciate the assistance of good TAs. What’s curious is the vehemence people have regarding this topic. I‘ve taken part in a few spirited debates on AH. For the most part, people tend to enjoy the exchange. Including topics like bullet selection, appropriate calibers for DG…..even politics! But mention using TAs and one is charged with doling out bad advice. No recognition that people have different opinions and experiences. You’re sharing bad advice that will lead others astray. As my teenage daughter used to say…..”whatever.”
I'm not talking about experiences I'm talking about laws, rules, regulations. An airline has laws they have to follow regarding cancelations and refunds, a travel agent is not. All the major US airlines have websites to change and cancel tickets, peoole on the ground at the airport and 24 hour customer service, a travel agent does not. If you use a travel agent you do not get your status benefits or points at hotels.

Think about it this way a travel agent makes about $15 to book you an airplane ticket sometimes I spent hours picking the perfect ticket, do you really think a travel agent is gonna spend hours searching for a better fare and finding you the perfect flight for $15?

As far as traveling with guns most countries it's really easy, and almost all airlines you just have to check it in.

Just saying the people in the travel industry who do this for a lifestyle would all give you the same advice. You'll have a lot better experience if you learn to do it on your own. But I guess that goes with just about everything in life.

I know lots of people who've got completely screwed over and lost thousands of dollars because of travel agents and added rules. I've also seen their sales pitches. They're basically selling a service that isn't needed Most of the time. Like all things in life that's usually looked down upon. I'd gladly help somebody for free get down there 1st or business class without paying a dime. You tell me who's helping out more.

I know lots of people who've got completely screwed over and lost thousands of dollars because of travel agents and added rules. I've also seen their sales pitches. They're basically selling a service that isn't needed Most of the time. Like all things in life that's usually looked down upon. I'd gladly help somebody for free get down there 1st or business class without paying a dime. You tell me who's helping out more.
Tell me really quick what the travel agent does you can't do for yourself in 5 minutes. I did talk to a guy the other day who talked about only having access to a sat phone. That being said you could just call a spouse your family member who could also do it but that made somewhat sense to me.

Wondering how traveling to Harare Zimbabwe is . I found one ticket stopping in Doha . Is this a good place for a layover of 4 hours . Not planning on leaving the airport .
By the way if they have an option for a longer layover don't be afraid to take it Doha is an amazing place. Problem is most of those layouts are over in the middle of the night at that airport.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VNCFlorida

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you