Why no 375 RUM?

Axle2010

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know there is plenty of hate here for the Weatherby cartridges like 378, 416 and 460 but why does no one talk about or use the 375 RUM? What I've seen looks like it runs on the heels of the 378W, is it to much kick? Lack of availability? Just curious.

Idk, sorry. Someone will come along. I'm sure it's served people well, however .. just a thought.

Lack of rifles, ammunition, and reloading components (properly headstamped brass) is a good place to start. I used to own one in a Remington, but it was plagued with feeding and extraction issues and decided to pass it along. It's a wonderful cartridge and has plenty to offer and in my opinion one of the best modern designed 375s.
It is sad to see it fade into the background, but ultimately most do not need the power nor the recoil of the round. Most will opt for the tried and true H&H or the compact Ruger. Ultimately, this can probably be tied to bad marketing and business decisions on Remington's part.

It’s a wonderful cartridge…BUT.

And that’s a big BUT. Lack of ammo. Lack of properly head stamped brass. Poor marketing by Big Green. Pushed to market without proper R&D on the feeding considering its intended purpose. At the time, push-feed actions were at an all-time low for the DG market. Length of the action required makes it more expensive to produce rifles. H&H is THE KING! Just a host of reasons. Tough market to break into.

Lucky the 375RUGER is doing so well, but they didn’t make the same mistakes.

375RUM is still a wonderful cartridge. Shame to see this one on the scrap heap.

IDK, but I wish I owned one. A LGS has NOS at pre Covid prices at $53/box including A Frames. LOTS of boxes!
I would still own mine if it wasn't for the sorry feeding. Pushing a 235 gr tsx to 3300 fps was a load of fun! Might be worth commissioning a CRF one of these days.

I would still own mine if it wasn't for the sorry feeding. Pushing a 235 gr tsx to 3300 fps was a load of fun! Might be worth commissioning a CRF one of these days.
Just what I was thinking. I love my H&H but I'd like to have a badass like the RUM or 378W.

Just what I was thinking. I love my H&H but I'd like to have a badass like the RUM or 378W.
Personally I love the case of the RUM over the Weatherby. Also, the recoil was not that bad and seemed to really allow your body to roll with the recoil, unlike the abrupt recoil of the 378. Plus, it is withing 50-100 fps of the 378, the only downside is cases, but those can be bought as ammo or made from 300 RUM!

I really like the 375 RUM and bought a Remington 700 Custom Shop North American Custom back in 2016, one of the ones assembled by Dakota Arms. I’ve only used it on North American animals, elk, bison and large wild boar with handloads: Barnes 235 grain TSX at 3100 fps (moderate load), got under an inch 100 yard groups and worked great on those animals. It’s mounted with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm with a Kenton Industries custom dial for shots out to 600 yards. Where I used to hunt elk in Montana, cross canyon shots were anywhere from 300-500 yards. I really like this rifle, it was planned as my all purpose North American rifle for brown bear/grizzly, Moose, Elk, bison, black bear and deer.

My only complaint with my Model 700 is with 3 rounds loaded in the mag, while it functioned fine, feeding wasn’t as smooth, so I typically carry it with 2 rounds in the mag plus one in the chamber as needed and feeding is butter smooth then. Also at about 8 lbs total weight with scope, It’s a lightweight rifle, really way too light for the caliber, recoiling far worse than the 10 lb 458 win mag, 416 Rem Mag and 416 Rigby rifles I’ve shot. I think a 10 lb rifle like one of the Remington 700 ABG would be better, far less felt recoil or any rifle weighing 10 lbs total. I will say I didn’t notice the recoil when shooting at an animal, only when practicing.

Those describing recoil of a 375 RUM must really indicate the weight and model of rifle because weight makes a huge difference and whether or not it has a muzzlebrake. With max loads, it’s very similar to a 378 Wby Mag, indistinguishable in recoil if both rifles have similar features and weight. I later had a KDF muzzlebrake installed so recoil is more like a 300 mag now but the muzzle blast and noise is something else. If I took it to Africa, I’d screw in the thread protector and hunt without a muzzle brake.

I’ve acquired about 400 rounds of both factory and handloads so haven’t paid much attention to ammo availability but seems like the Barnes 270 grain LRX is currently available and Remington 270 SP. I have two Cape buffalo hunts booked, one for 2024 and one in 2026, and was originally going to take the 375 RUM (which would be fine) but will be using a CZ 416 Rigby instead. I am considering taking the 375 RUM as a second rifle on the 2026 buffalo hunt and use on a 2nd buffalo.

Then again, things change. I was killing elk just as dead with a 7mm rem mag and we later relocated from Montana to Oklahoma and I caught the Africa hunting bug again and got the 416 Rigby so I’ve even contemplated selling the 375 RUM. Anyhow, I think it’s a great all purpose cartridge!

IMG_1280.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the 375 RUM and bought a Remington 700 Custom Shop North American Custom back in 2016, one of the ones assembled by Dakota Arms. I’ve only used it on North American animals, elk, bison and large wild boar with handloads: Barnes 235 grain TSX at 3100 fps (moderate load), got under an inch 100 yard groups and worked great on those animals. It’s mounted with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40mm with a Kenton Industries custom dial for shots out to 600 yards. Where I used to hunt elk in Montana, cross canyon shots were anywhere from 300-500 yards. I really like this rifle, it was planned as my all purpose North American rifle for brown bear/grizzly, Moose, Elk, bison, black bear and deer.

My only complaint with my Model 700 is with 3 rounds loaded in the mag, while it functioned fine, feeding wasn’t as smooth, so I typically carry it with 2 rounds in the mag plus one in the chamber as needed and feeding is butter smooth then. Also at about 8 lbs total weight with scope, It’s a lightweight rifle, really way too light for the caliber, recoiling far worse than the 10 lb 458 win mag, 416 Rem Mag and 416 Rigby rifles I’ve shot. I think a 10 lb rifle like one of the Remington 700 ABG would be better, far less felt recoil or any rifle weighing 10 lbs total. I will say I didn’t notice the recoil when shooting at an animal, only when practicing.

Those describing recoil of a 375 RUM must really indicate the weight and model of rifle because weight makes a huge difference and whether or not it has a muzzlebrake. With max loads, it’s very similar to a 378 Wby Mag, indistinguishable in recoil if both rifles have similar features and weight. I later had a KDF muzzlebrake installed so recoil is more like a 300 mag now but the muzzle blast and noise is something else. If I took it to Africa, I’d screw in the thread protector and hunt without a muzzle brake.

I’ve acquired about 400 rounds of both factory and handloads so haven’t paid much attention to ammo availability but seems like the Barnes 270 grain LRX is currently available and Remington 270 SP. I have two Cape buffalo hunts booked, one for 2024 and one in 2026, and was originally going to take the 375 RUM (which would be fine) but will be using a CZ 416 Rigby instead. I am considering taking the 375 RUM as a second rifle on the 2026 buffalo hunt and use on a 2nd buffalo.

Then again, things change. I was killing elk just as dead with a 7mm rem mag and we later relocated from Montana to Oklahoma and I caught the Africa hunting bug again and got the 416 Rigby so I’ve even contemplated selling the 375 RUM. Anyhow, I think it’s a great all purpose cartridge!

Good choice moving to Oklahoma (aka the best state). Can’t wait to be back in November.

I have one built by Mark Bansner on a CRF Winchester 70 action. Great rifle but it does have a brake and the guy I bought it from misplaced the thread protector. Other than shooting pigs and a couple deer, it has not been utilized as much as I thought I would. I actually planned on taking it to Africa for a one-gun trip, but it has remained stateside. I either need to get a thread protector or fancy electrical tape wrap and take it over for a trip.

I know there is plenty of hate here for the Weatherby cartridges like 378, 416 and 460 but why does no one talk about or use the 375 RUM? What I've seen looks like it runs on the heels of the 378W, is it to much kick? Lack of availability? Just curious.
Many, many reasons. First of all there is simply not a need to push bullets in these larger calibers faster. It makes little sense. Secondly, truth be told, most people can't shoot anything above .375 with proficiency. Beyond that the market for large bore rifles is small to start with.

A friend of mine has shot hundreds of Buffalo and other game with a .375/400 wildcat which is essentially a .375 RUM. It is a very capable cartridge.
I know your friend. :). He kills buffalo like I kill dove. :). He is the reason I bought the .375 RUM. For a guy that could hunt with whatever he wants, I found it impressive that he largely uses a synthetic stocked .375/.404.

375 RUM, like many other calibers are very capable rounds, but about the time you arrive to Africa and your luggage does not show up with your ammo, you'll be wishing you were hunting with a .375H&H.

It solves a problem that very few people have: how to get adequate impact velocity from a 375 caliber bullet at long range.

A 375 H&H or Ruger launches the bullet fast enough for good terminal effect at the ranges most people use a 375 caliber rifle, i.e. fairly close. Very few people have need for a 375 caliber bullet on game at 600 yards and fewer still have need for a bullet with good terminal effect on paper. The price in recoil, muzzle blast and/or rifle weight is just too high for most people to pay to solve a problem they don’t have.

Essentially, it would be a toy for most people. That said, my M82a1 solves even fewer problems and it is (both literally and figuratively) a blast to shoot. We are men and excess is mighty fun for its own sake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KentonCann

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.