Who and what do waterfowlers and bird hunters hunt internationally?

Ridge Runner

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I just posted a thread to another members OP, then it hit me, as an avid waterfowler and bird hunter; Has/Does any member on AH go to Africa or any other countries specifically to hunt the different types of waterfowl or other birds not found in the USA?

I would like to read your hunt reports and comments as to where, when, what, and how you hunted these birds? But most of all why?

Peru has outstanding waterfowl. We bagged dozens of species that are either unavailable in the US or uncommon (for example we took numerous cinnamon teal there)…

@Bos en Dal SAFARIS has Egyptian Geese on the main property… geese make a nice alternative early morning hunt after a couple of days of chasing PG.

Not found in the USA? I assume that leaves out pilgrimages to Saskatchewan hunting North American geese and ducks.

I regularly make a pilgrimage to South America to hunt doves, ducks, and perdiz. Which, when Buenos Aires is included, is also a grand place to take a spouse.
Duck Hunting Argentina

Perdiz Hunting Argentina

Next week we head Austria and the Carinthian Alps where I will be hunting a capercaillie. It is a European grouse not much smaller than a turkey. From there we head to Venice and Milan. Two other fun places to spend time with one's spouse.

caper.jpg

You can do some sand grouse shooting in Namibia. They are challenging. Duck shooting also in season, they’re winter.

Last June I did an overnight at Afton Lodge before heading to the eastern Cape. At Afton was a group of five guys from south Florida headed to Bloemfontein SA to hunt waterfowl. They said they had been coming annually for several years and they waterfowling was phenomenal for spurwing and Egyptian geese as well as ducks. Not sure of the outfitter they used.

Last June I did an overnight at Afton Lodge before heading to the eastern Cape. At Afton was a group of five guys from south Florida headed to Bloemfontein SA to hunt waterfowl. They said they had been coming annually for several years and they waterfowling was phenomenal for spurwing and Egyptian geese as well as ducks. Not sure of the outfitter they used.
Don't know if it could be the same outfitter, but I did have a conversation with an outfitter in/near Bloemfontein and considered hunting with them, (regretfully, I should have instead of the Zimbabwe disaster, but he could offer me a Livingston Eland, if you've read my hunt report the outfitter there, Lloyd Yeatman, couldn't either), forgive me I digress.

The outfitter in Bloemfontein did offer me a waterfowl hunt. He said, (via email) that it would be a hunt to remember and listed the various species that we might see and that I could shoot.

Don't know if it could be the same outfitter, but I did have a conversation with an outfitter in/near Bloemfontein and considered hunting with them, (regretfully, I should have instead of the Zimbabwe disaster, but he could offer me a Livingston Eland, if you've read my hunt report the outfitter there, Lloyd Yeatman, couldn't either), forgive me I digress.

The outfitter in Bloemfontein did offer me a waterfowl hunt. He said, (via email) that it would be a hunt to remember and listed the various species that we might see and that I could shoot.
Lots of the AH sponsor outfitters offer wing shooting. We were talking the other day with @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS about putting together an AH group hunt sometime.

Not found in the USA? I assume that leaves out pilgrimages to Saskatchewan hunting North American geese and ducks.

I regularly make a pilgrimage to South America to hunt doves, ducks, and perdiz. Which, when Buenos Aires is included, is also a grand place to take a spouse.
Duck Hunting Argentina

Perdiz Hunting Argentina

Next week we head Austria and the Carinthian Alps where I will be hunting a capercaillie. It is a European grouse not much smaller than a turkey. From there we head to Venice and Milan. Two other fun places to spend time with one's spouse.

View attachment 530053
Geese and ducks from Canada that winter migrate to/thru the US so ...ehh yes. As they migrate as far down as into Mexico and South America. The perdiz would be interesting as you are the first to inform me of such a bird.

Yes, doves in South America, I think there are too many outdoor (hunting) TV shows on dove hunting in Argentina for anyone here not to know about.

It's not, for me about bragging rights as this IMPO is stupid. But when in (waterfowl) hunting camp my waterfowl buddies eventually start talking about the number and species of birds they have killed, and the number of bands they've collected over the years/decades (which I haven't been able to acquire...yet), in various areas of the US, primarily here in Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, the various (US) "praire states", etc. Personally (on a sarcastic humourous side) I would like to just say nothing, just nonchalantly thumb point to an Egyptian goose or other such hunted (foreign/non native to the USA) species in it's native or migratory area, to close/ or restrain the conversation; That would be priceless.:unsure::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Geese and ducks from Canada that winter migrate to/thru the US so ...ehh yes. As they migrate as far down as into Mexico and South America. The perdiz would be interesting as you are the first to inform me of such a bird.

Yes, doves in South America, I think there are too many outdoor (hunting) TV shows on dove hunting in Argentina for anyone here not to know about.

It's not, for me about bragging rights as this IMPO is stupid. But when in (waterfowl) hunting camp my waterfowl buddies eventually start talking about the number and species of birds they have killed, and the number of bands they've collected over the years/decades (which I haven't been able to acquire...yet), in various areas of the US, primarily here in Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, the various (US) "praire states", etc. Personally (on a sarcastic humourous side) I would like to just say nothing, just nonchalantly thumb point to an Egyptian goose or other such hunted (foreign/non native to the USA) species in it's native or migratory area, to close/ or restrain the conversation; That would be priceless.:unsure::LOL::LOL:
You could add a dozen+ to your nonchalant list with a single Argentine duck hunt. And the daily limit is basically up to the outfitter. We were shooting a combined limit of 25 each (50 total birds). Pretty sure the only North American bird we took was a spoonbill.

A small sampling ;) (yes those are teal with blue wing shoulders, but they are not North American bluewing teal - note the drake's head markings).

duck1.jpg

duck2.jpg

duck3.jpg

duck6.jpg

duck4.jpg

I love hunting partridge in Spain. Photos can be seen on my media page. In Africa, I mostly shoot francolin, sand grouse and guinea fowl but never went on a safari specifically for bird shooting.

My native country has 700 rivers and is a waterfowl hunter’s paradise. Waterfowl include: Greylag geese, Bar headed geese, Mallard, Pintail, Widgeon, Common sheldrake, whistling teal, Golden snipe, Jack snipe, Wilson’s snipe, tea snipe, 3 types of cranes, storks, Golden plover, curlew, coot & ibis. Upland birds include: Dove, Green pigeon, pheasant, Red jungle fowl

Last edited:
I have done a number of driven and rough shoots in Scotland and England. I have also drug a shotgun along in Zim, Botswana and Zambia and enjoyed good shooting in each. Once the trackers get the hang of running a hook pattern on francolin and guineas, you can have some awesome driven shooting.

i am working on a deal for just this
will be putting it out soon for 2024 booking

I’m alittle surprised Red Leg has not shot driven red legged partridge in Spain-or did I miss it in a post somewhere? Also see if you can add black grouse to your bad while hunting capercaillie-they are very cool birds

Red Leg I think that the blue winged ducks in the picture are actually the South American version of our shoveler, in the blue winged complex of ducks you have 3 maybe 4 shovelers, blue winged and cinnamon teal. Many of the South American shovelers even have the crescent moon on the head much like our BWT. According to “Waterfowl of the World”
Has anyone had any waterfowl or birds mounted in Africa? Not that I have much room to add to the 70 plus waterfowl mounts I have now. I would be curious about the quality.

You are correct on the shovelors, Red Leg posted an Argentine or red shovelor. I have mounted several for customers over the years.
african bird skins come to the states completely skinned and salted and degree of quality varies. I would like to see some that were mounted in africa and the. Shipped home.

90% of my hunting is waterfowl in the USA. Haven't been out of the USA to do it but plan to. Huge market and reason to hunt abroad. Spur wing geese, African black ducks, cape teal, etc. Coincidentally, if it was 2 destinations I would pick to hunt outside the USA it would be Argentina for sheer numbers as well as new species and Africa based on new species alone. Going on my first PG safari in a week. Already likely to plan a return sometime. When I do, I will definitely try and coordinate some waterfowling with the PG.

If you want a good perspective, check out Ramsey Russell's podcast "It's Duck Season Somewhere." He's an agent/guide for people who wish to hunt outside the USA. He's been to Africa, Argentina, Mexico, Central America, Russia, Azerbaijan, etc.

Little bit from his webpage:

If you want to see something special and stay in the USA, take a look at Izembek Lagoon.

Somewhat related to the topic-just doing preening and carding the wings on this fellow for a local kid. Todays project “in the bag” so to speak

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.