Which Action For custom Dangerous Game Build

Yes you are correct. In Zim 9.3 is legal on calibre for DG, but falls way short of the 5200 joules requirement. In Namibia as I recall the minimum is 375 and 5300 joules. In SA it depends upon the area and land owner, but 375 is generally the minimum. There is a very good country by country write up here somewhere.
Yup, for the 9.3 and required ME it's a handloading proposition only. Using a 300 grain bullet and careful selection of propellant it's no big deal to accomplish.

Brand new member with one post...that was three days ago and hasn't logged on since. :unsure:

Last edited:
Tanks, can we see more of that 458 B&M with an 18" barrel. Gorgeous, and a nice compact package

I had similar thoughts on actions and about building a rifle, but mostly due to being a Left Hand shooter.

I was glad I got a couple hunts out of the way with 2 .SAKO’s in 375 H&H. First was an in new condition consigned Finnbear Righty that I shot a Buff and several PG with and the second a LH model 85 that I ordered and took a nice croc with. Both function flawlessly and shot shit dead!

Then I wanted to build a .458 Lott in LH…

After much research and several opinions (I went as far as posting like you), I realized there was a better option for a DG rifle… I found what I needed already built and at a much better value than building one!
I was happy to pick up a LH Dakota in 450 Dakota (thanks Champlin Firearms and George!) along with plenty of ammo! I’ve also sourced a lot more brass, ammo, and bullets since the purchase…

Save yourself some time, grief, and possibly a lot of money! Consider resell value too. You can always upgrade later!

** I’ve had more than one custom rifle built…

Attachments

• DAKOTA 450 DAKOTA LEFT HAND BEST AFRICAN GRADE- REMAINS in 98% ORIG COND- VERY NICE BASTOGNE W...pdf
    240.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
Nighthawk that is one good looking rifle and a great cartridge. (y)

B&M cartridges that are based on WSM Win 70 action have taken countless DG from elephant down. @michael458 can post more info.
The standard B&M Lineup uses a Winchester M70 WSM Control Feed action. The case IS NOT a WSM, but a 2.240-2.250 inch RUM case, there is quite a bit of difference. The WSM action works perfectly with the RUM case, with little or no modifications. There are six cartridges based on the case, however we do not support the 475 B&M nor the 375 B&M........... The 50 B&M is a true .500 caliber cartridge. The case has the same case capacity as the longer 2.5 inch 458 Winchester, but is quite a bit more efficient. For example one can duplicate 458 Winchester ballistics with a 458 B&M with a 18-20 inch barrel, not requiring the longer 24 inch barrel of the 458 Winchester. If you think that 4-6 inches of length make little difference, you need to handle both rifles at the same time, then the light bulb tends to come on.

DSC09518-L.jpg

DSC09515-L.jpg

DSC09368-XL.jpg

One of my personal favorites is an 18 inch Bastogne stocked 458 B&M that comes in at 7.5 lbs no scope, a pure pleasure to carry, handles incredibly well in the field, extremely fast on target and delivers 450 gr CEB Solids at over 2260 fps.......... 420 Raptors at 2285 fps..............

DSC09670%20copy-X2.jpg

P1020066aa-L.jpg

S1140008-XL.jpg

This 458 B&M sports an English Stock and is a bit heavier at 8 lbs with a 19 inch barrel........

DSCN2208-X2.jpg

All stocks are made by Accurate Innovations, all have full length aluminum chassis with negates any issues with busted wood. Also the full length chassis distributes and absorbs recoil. The straight line design of the stock, very little drop in the rear, keeps muzzle flip to a non issue. These rifles recoil much less than many standard guns despite the shorter length and weight.............

One of my 416 B&M rifles with 20 inch barrel......
IMG_2053-XL.jpg

My Favorite 416 B&M with 18 inch barrel, comes in at 6.5 lbs no scope.........

DSC08804-X2.jpg

416 B&M is quite capable for a .416 caliber.... my late friend Sean used his on his African trip some years ago.......

P9140224-XL.jpg

P9100117-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you're hung up on a drop box magazine for dangerous game rifle. They aren't terribly popular. I think you'd have trouble getting your money out of one on resale should that be necessary.

375 has moderate recoil and it kills buffalo very thoroughly. I just finished building a 404 Jeffery and it can push 400 grains with surprisingly little recoil (relatively speaking). I have fragile retinas so also need to be concerned about getting beat up. Honestly, I didn't even know there was such a critter as 416 WSM. Finding ammo might be a challenge.

I built my thumper on a BRNO vz.24 Mauser standard action (originally 8mm). With a 24" barrel in #5 contour (from Lidja) the rifle weighs exactly ten pounds. Balance is right where it should be just ahead of the floorplate. Cycles those big shells flawlessly. And it points well. Always amazes me how quickly it mounts and acquires target. Of course, it's wearing iron sights or 3x scope so may be just "an optical illusion." If you're concerned about a longer barrel being less maneuverable in thick cover, don't be. Both my thumper and 30-06 plains game rifle have 24" barrels and they have proven to be quite portable. Most guys chop off barrels to cut weight but weight is not an issue for you. Again, cutting down a DGR and still making it heavy by beefing up barrel thickness would not in my opinion make that rifle sellable if it doesn't work out for you.
I agree because a drop box mag can be a big problem on a DG hunt. They are great at the range or for blind hunting but not DG IMO.

@Downandlow - How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the 416WSM was a good choice. I see nothing but painting yourself into a corner by limiting the amount of powder you can load and bullets you can use. Not to mention finding brass that's properly headstamped. Not that it can't be done, but there are just about a thousand better options.

375H&H on any action you want. Blaser R8 would be my choice.
@Downandlow - How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the 416WSM was a good choice. I see nothing but painting yourself into a corner by limiting the amount of powder you can load and bullets you can use. Not to mention finding brass that's properly headstamped. Not that it can't be done, but there are just about a thousand better options.

375H&H on any action you want. Blaser R8 would be my choice.
Of course I agree. But seriously so many guys build a custom gun and it costs much more than an R8 from what I've seen. To each his own as long as it functions flawlessly and is DG ready.

If it's your dream gun then go for it! Just keep in mind that many of us are seeing these custom guns get to Africa and have all kinds of issues. Just make sure it works well at home.

Build it on a Brno ZKK 602 Magnum action or it’s newer CZ derivative . It’s realistically the most affordable, quality, double square bridge magnum action available today. It would suit a build of most of the popular DG calibers available.

The DG rifle I ended up with was, essentially, custom built, just for someone else. Also built by a very reputable/desirable builder at a time when a lot of thought and consideration went into his rifle builds. It has everything I wanted (checks all the boxes) and a much nicer grade wood than I would have chosen. It was used one time in Africa. The cost savings buying an in new condition “used” DG rifle was significant to say the least.

The resale value on in new condition DG rifles seem to favor buyers at the moment, but I’m certain that is circumstance driven, i.e., a left hand DG rifle in my case.

If budget is no consideration and you’re insistent on a detachable drop box magazine, then Armeria Concari is the firm the firm you should contact.

Personally speaking, amongst currently manufactured actions for dangerous game magazine rifles… Granite Mountain Arms ranks as my #1 pick.

Instead of building a wildcat caliber like .416 Winchester Short Magnum, why not simply go for a commercially available caliber like .416 Remington Magnum or .416 Rigby ? Availability of factory loaded ammunition is always a plus point.

Brno ZKK602.....
Forget about short wildcats, wannabes.....
375H&H, 404 Jeff, 416 Rigby, 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs.....to your harts content.......

michael458 thanks for your post. I thought your design had more powder capacity than the WSM. I have a 35Samba (358WSM) and it is near the 358 Norma mag with light projectiles than with heavier ones as they seat to below the neck and in the powder space. The B&M 358 case would, I think match the 358Norma mag. Great looking rifles there.

If it's your dream gun then go for it! Just keep in mind that many of us are seeing these custom guns get to Africa and have all kinds of issues. Just make sure it works well at home.
Well, I have taken multiple B&M rifles to Africa prior to getting on the double rifle kick, and they have accounted for multiple elephants and PG. No issues and have not heard of any B&M owners having issues. Now, if one MacGyvers a rifle himself in order to be "frugal" I can understand them having issues.

I even used the .500 MDM on a black bear with devastating effect prior to an elephant hunt.

Well, I have taken multiple B&M rifles to Africa prior to getting on the double rifle kick, and they have accounted for multiple elephants and PG. No issues and have not heard of any B&M owners having issues. Now, if one MacGyvers a rifle himself in order to be "frugal" I can understand them having issues.

I even used the .500 MDM on a black bear with devastating effect prior to an elephant hunt.

Frugal? Some of us place a greater value on something practical we made ourselves = a priceless "personal touch" heirloom. Others feel it's more personally enriching to buy ultraexpensive bizarre caliber work-of-art guns they can display to cronies at DSCI. The vendors/makers certainly are enriched.

At the end of the day the buffalo are just as dead with either gun if the hunter does his job. The difference is the fella with the "homemade" gun is satisfied with that. The showoff needs to have the most expensive gun around the campfire at night. Dead buffalo just isn't enough. :D

Frugal? Some of us place a greater value on something practical we made ourselves = a priceless "personal touch" heirloom. Others feel it's more personally enriching to buy ultraexpensive bizarre caliber work-of-art guns they can display to cronies at DSCI. The vendors/makers certainly are enriched.

At the end of the day the buffalo are just as dead with either gun if the hunter does his job. The difference is the fella with the "homemade" gun is satisfied with that. The showoff needs to have the most expensive gun around the campfire at night. Dead buffalo just isn't enough. :D
Hmmm, was I replying to you?

Speaking of cost, I sold a .50 B&M rifle for $2,595 in these forums. Cost to build it was $3,244 (action, barrel, sights, gunsmithing, stock). I would not call it ultra expensive at all. Here is the link with pics.

As usual, you make assumptions with little or no knowledge and jump in with both feet to make BS comments.

You are right about one thing, buffalo is just as dead regardless of the gun one uses, especially at South African livestock farms where the outcome is preordained. ;)

Please stop the attacks on others who do things differently than yourself. Not everyone needs to be you.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hmmm, was I replying to you?

Speaking of cost, I sold a .50 B&M rifle for $2,595 in these forums. Cost to build it was $3,244 (action, barrel, sights, gunsmithing, stock). I would not call it ultra expensive at all. Here is the link with pics.

As usual, you make assumptions with little or no knowledge and jump in with both feet to make BS comments.

You are right about one thing, buffalo is just as dead regardless of the gun one uses, especially at South African livestock farms where the outcome is preordained. ;)
Preordained? Like shooting a hounded bear out of a tree? :D

I wasn't necessarily referring to you in that post. Not necessarily not referring to you either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReynaUrquh

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.