Which Action For custom Dangerous Game Build

Downandlow

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m contemplating building a rifle for a future trip to Africa. Just recently started to hunt there and wondering why I waited so long to
Do it. I’ve only hunted PG so far but would like a big thumper for Buffalo, Crocs and other nasties. I’m settling on building a 416 WSM as I just like those short mags and won’t something with punch without punching me to hard back as I don’t do well with recoil do to concussion issues.
I haven’t seen anyone running a Sako short mag action in a DG safari rifle before and wanted to get some opinions on it.
Other considerations are that I won’t build unless it’s a drop box mag and want to
Limit the barrel length to 21 inches to keep it a short compact rifle, probably with a bull barrel for some weight. I’d like to end with about a 9-10 lb rifle

Your thoughts?

Not sure about a WSM not being a heavy puncher but build away!

Attachments

• Our Actions - Zermatt Arms Website.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
Shop around there are so many good used guns around that may only require a stock job to get it to fit your frame.
I would look at .375 H&H , 416 Taylor,Ruger or rem mag. All more than adequate for buff and croc.

Shop around there are so many good used guns around that may only require a stock job to get it to fit your frame.
I would look at .375 H&H , 416 Taylor,Ruger or rem mag. All more than adequate for buff and croc.
These are my thoughts as well. I doubt a 416 based on a 325WSM case will give you enough momentum to handle Buff with a any degree of surety. Shot placement is everything as long as the bullet can reach, enter the vitals. You would probably need to run the 416WSM in a long action so you can use monometal solids anyway. The above listed calibres will do that without belting you sideways

Not to mention countries that have a minimum energy requirement. Would the 416WSM meet these????

If you aren’t set on a cartridge or calibre yet then give due consideration to a light handy rifle in 9.3x62. Very minimal recoil. There is a good YouTube clip of Bill Wilson showing off his custom Ruger M77 with a 21” barrel and he goes on to say why it has been his go to rifle for many Safari’s.

IMG_4659.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you're hung up on a drop box magazine for dangerous game rifle. They aren't terribly popular. I think you'd have trouble getting your money out of one on resale should that be necessary.

375 has moderate recoil and it kills buffalo very thoroughly. I just finished building a 404 Jeffery and it can push 400 grains with surprisingly little recoil (relatively speaking). I have fragile retinas so also need to be concerned about getting beat up. Honestly, I didn't even know there was such a critter as 416 WSM. Finding ammo might be a challenge.

I built my thumper on a BRNO vz.24 Mauser standard action (originally 8mm). With a 24" barrel in #5 contour (from Lidja) the rifle weighs exactly ten pounds. Balance is right where it should be just ahead of the floorplate. Cycles those big shells flawlessly. And it points well. Always amazes me how quickly it mounts and acquires target. Of course, it's wearing iron sights or 3x scope so may be just "an optical illusion." If you're concerned about a longer barrel being less maneuverable in thick cover, don't be. Both my thumper and 30-06 plains game rifle have 24" barrels and they have proven to be quite portable. Most guys chop off barrels to cut weight but weight is not an issue for you. Again, cutting down a DGR and still making it heavy by beefing up barrel thickness would not in my opinion make that rifle sellable if it doesn't work out for you.

If you aren’t set on a cartridge or calibre yet then give due consideration to a light handy rifle in 9.3x62. Very minimal recoil. There is a good YouTube clip of Bill Wilson showing off his custom Ruger M77 with a 21” barrel and he goes on to say why it has been his go to rifle for many Safari’s.

View attachment 577353

As I recall, that caliber is not legal for dangerous game in some African countries. Am I correct?

Yes you are correct. In Zim 9.3 is legal on calibre for DG, but falls way short of the 5200 joules requirement. In Namibia as I recall the minimum is 375 and 5300 joules. In SA it depends upon the area and land owner, but 375 is generally the minimum. There is a very good country by country write up here somewhere.

I would choose a standard DG caliber in a standard length CRF action. I think, also, that a detachable magazine is more a potential liability than an asset.
Personally, I prefer a 40 caliber to a 375.

These are my thoughts as well. I doubt a 416 based on a 325WSM case will give you enough momentum to handle Buff with a any degree of surety. Shot placement is everything as long as the bullet can reach, enter the vitals. You would probably need to run the 416WSM in a long action so you can use monometal solids anyway. The above listed calibres will do that without belting you sideways

Not to mention countries that have a minimum energy requirement. Would the 416WSM meet these????
B&M cartridges that are based on WSM Win 70 action have taken countless DG from elephant down. @michael458 can post more info.

This one is a .458 B&M with an 18" barrel.

full

This is the way: BRNO vz.24 Mauser

@Downandlow - it’s your dream and your money so you can get about anything built.

If I were going to build a custom rifle and budget was not an issue I’d probably go with a Granite Mountain.

Caliber selection - not sure I’d go with a short mag but again, it’s your build. Personally I’d choose a 404J, 416 Rigby, 416 Taylor or 416 rem - probably close to the same recoil with (what I would guess) much less issues with feeding, brass, etc…
Also - I’d skip the drop mag.

@Downandlow - How exactly did you come to the conclusion that the 416WSM was a good choice. I see nothing but painting yourself into a corner by limiting the amount of powder you can load and bullets you can use. Not to mention finding brass that's properly headstamped. Not that it can't be done, but there are just about a thousand better options.

375H&H on any action you want. Blaser R8 would be my choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dianne1092

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.